Front door screens

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
red_land_baron
**Forum Contributor**

Front door screens

Post by red_land_baron »

In response to Skillet's previous post about front door screens:
These were made from standard stuff bought at any home improvement store. 1) roll of plastic screen, 2) strip magnets, 3) any type of clip; like wire 'P' clips. Cut the screen to cover the front windows, use thread or fishing line to attach the clips and magnets. Fold them up and store them in the door pockets. This will greatly improve the air flow in the front but will keep the bugs out.

RLB.
Attachments
IMG_3424.JPG
2000 7.3l diesel Concourse
Blue~Go

Re: Front door screens

Post by Blue~Go »

I could see that extra ventilation being very handy. Especially with the narrower openings of the (admittedly sporty and nice looking) Concourse windows. I don't have any yet, but was thinking of sewing some "pillowcase" style ones like the commercially available "skreenz." But yours look even easier to make.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Looks real good. I bought some "no-seeum" screen and rare earth square magnets from Amazon. I cut the screen larger than the window shape, folded the perimeter just enough to hold the magnets in a sleeve. I then sewed it closed and sewed individual pockets for each magnet so they wouldn't slide around in the sleeve. Sticks well and goes into the side door pockets.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

That reminds me of one other thing I would like about this type of screen: You could easily have two sets, one of "regular" screen and one of tighter, no-see-um mesh. I don't like to use no-seem-um mesh unless I have to because of the much less air flow you get with the tighter weave (but when you need it...).

Another way I've handled no-see-ums (when using regular screens which will let them pass through) is to have a fan blowing on me (at night, or while doing a project in a specific location like a workbench). They can't make it into the wind (thankfully).

When I got my last camper van (which had a LOT of screens) the PO's had put no-see-um type mesh right over all of the regular screens. No bugs, for sure, but also basically NO air, what with the two mesh layers combined. What a relief to remove those add-ons and actually feel air coming in.
1999 Concourse