Generator Exhaust

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Generator Exhaust

Post by pdemarest »

Hi - being a newbie I figure that I can ask the most ridiculous questions so here's another one; I was looking at the Gen-Turi exhaust system for my generator, partially for the noise reduction but mostly to get the fumes up over the rig so I don't choke my neighbors on exhaust fumes. I don't use my ladder and started wondering "what if I used flexible exhaust tubing and ran it up the ladder so it vented out at roof level?" I like the Gen-Turi but I'm not wild about having to install and uninstall it each time I set up/break camp so I thought maybe I could use flexible tubing instead. I've ordered a resonator for the generator (mostly to tone down the hammering sound) but still need to deal with getting the fumes up higher. Any thoughts on this?
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
SMan

Re: Generator Exhaust

Post by SMan »

I've had a number of Onan's in RV's over the years and am not convinced that the exhaust is the major component causing noise. I am sure a resonator will decrease exhaust sound to some extent however. I've looked at the Genturi but for me the few times I use the generator makes the effort not worth it. As for using flexible tubing my concern would the type of material used. FWIW I am rarely close enough to another RV'er that fumes are an issue.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks, Steve - most of the time we're camping we park next to our kids/grandkids tent trailer so the exhaust issue is big for us. Most of the time it wouldn't be a problem. I was planning on using flexible tubing that is made for exhaust systems but may wind up with a Gen-Turi. My biggest problem with that solution is that it takes up space - always an issue with these rigs.

Well, I have all winter to figure this out - if anyone has tried a more permanent solution to the exhaust fumes I'd love to hear it.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
SMan

Post by SMan »

For fumes I think some kind of small ducting (or what comes with the genturi) could possibly be routed/adapted and permanently attached to the ladder (understanding it can inhibit the use of the ladder). On my 2004 the exhaust of the generator is very close to the rear anyway. For kicks I think I'll walk out and look at how I might attempt it.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Yeah, the generator exhaust is so close to the rear that the ladder option for mounting a duct of some kind seems do-able. I was going to take a look at some of the generator venting systems that are becoming popular on houseboats. There have actually been deaths from generator exhaust fumes which are traditionally just vented out the side of the cabin so there some aftermarket systems to get the exhaust up above the roof of the cabin. I'll check those out and report back.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Spent a bit of time searching online for exhaust solutions that have been used on houseboats to avoid carbon monoxide problems and it seems that there are no suitable off-the-shelf products that could be used for an RV, partially due to the mufflers on houseboat gensets having water/air separators on them. I also looked at RV sites and although many people have built their own Gen-turi type set ups none of them seem to incorporate the venturi effect that pulls the exhaust gases up and over the RV. I'm becoming more inclined to find a way to permanently mount a real Gen-Turi so I get the venturi effect that also functions to address any exhaust back pressure problems.

House boaters and RV'ers both seemed to agree that avoiding sharp turns in the exhaust stack is critical to avoid increasing back pressure that could harm the generator or allow exhaust gases to "back-up" in the stack. So, I'm going to focus on some way to mount a Gen-Turi more permanently.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10