Replacing awning winch slot

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Replacing awning winch slot

Post by Kirah »

Like pretty much every other piece of plastic on my rig, the winch slot finally became too brittle and cracked into pieces. I got a replacement from Fiamma, but was told they have no support right now. I watched their video for replacing this part, but I have questions.

http://www.fiammausa.com/service/advice ... 0#topVideo

It seems pretty simple, but ...

Has anyone replaced this part? Does it pretty much go as smoothly as the video implies? Any surprises?

Any guesses what size/kind of rivet I need to put it back together? (Also: I've never used rivets - any tips?)
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Replacing awning winch slot

Post by chin_k »

Rivet should be easy. If you are nervous, practice it on a scrap piece of sheet metal with a hole on it. I just use the Harbor Freight riveter. Not the most quality tool, but get the job done.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

This is STILL on my to-do list, because I am the worst at getting projects done, and I rarely use my awning, so it hasn't been urgent...

And then I found that Fiamma has reworked their web site and removed the old videos. I wrote and asked if they had this particular video still available somewhere, and they sent me to this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_c-rqi-Js

Which seems to be a hand-held recording of the original video. Well, it works - better than nothing.

I've saved it off to my own network this time, in case the YouTube video disappears. If it does disappear and anyone needs a copy, I'll share.
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
kingovid

Post by kingovid »

FYI team, I could not bear to take the assembly apart and re rivet back together, so I used my 10" vice grip needle nose to squeeze the pin into the new winch slot. Worked like a champ,