Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Skillet

Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)

Post by Skillet »

A couple months ago DougM sold me his new-condition Tire Minder brand TPM kit. The model is the A1A. I just got around to installing it today and so far I love it. There are 6 monitors that individually screw onto the valve stem of each tire. The handheld monitoring device has an extendable antenna and can monitor up to 22 tires. It comes with a window mounting device, a theft deterrent hex locking ring, and a small electronic signal boosting device.

Installing it first involved airing up my tires to my desired psi. Turn the unit on and go into the learning mode. Scroll to your first tire you want to work on and then screw on the monitor. Within 10 seconds it picks it up and shows the pressure and then the tire's temperature. Scroll to your next tire and do it again. When you're done you then set each tire's baseline psi. That's what the unit uses to determine whether to alert you to a slow or fast leak. It also alert if it goes over pressure. A "rapid air loss" alert is given if a tire loses 3 or more psi within 2 minutes. A "semi-rapid air loss" alert is given if 6 or more psi is lost in 2-10 minutes. A "normal air loss" alert is when it drops 15% below the baseline of its air over a "long period of time". There are 2 temperature alarms. If the internal tire temp exceeds 167deg, you get an intermittent beep. When it exceeds 185 it's a steady beep and it's recommended you pull over to find out what's causing the high temp.

The device operates on the 433mhz frequency and it has stated several times in the manual to make sure you install the booster. DougM didn't and I didn't and it's reading just fine. With the booster you can get around 150ft away (supposedly) and I'm currently in my house about 40ft away and it's a strong signal.

The manual states not to keep the security locking ring on it full time, but only when in high-crime areas. They don't say why it should stay off when not needed. Maybe it adds a little extra weight or something that over time and many rotations, it could do damage.

Each monitor uses a 3V 1632 watch-type lithium battery that is easy to replace. When you register they have a free battery replacement program that every year they will send you batteries and you send back the old ones for disposal. I guess that's built into the price. The battery booster can be hard-wired or use the included alligator clips. The receiver has what appears to be a non-replaceable lithium battery. They say it'll last 2 weeks on standby mode or you can completely shut it down. They include a cigarette adapter and a micro USB cable for charging. The receiver has a suction cup mounting device you can use and I think I'll just put it on the cup console. It's not something you stare at (unless you want to watch the temp rise as you drive) but you want it nearby in case an alarm goes off. I would probably check it at gas stations and rest stops.

I know I got this at a great discount on this board but I was already looking and would be prepared to bite the bullet and pay full price. My research on this brand shows it is well-regarded by the users as well as reviewers. So far so good, but I need to put some miles on it and will try to remember to update this with any cons I come across. I like having the peace of mind of easily checking my tire pressure and if the stories of how rv damage was saved by catching a fast leak in time are true, it's money well spent.

Tire Minder TM-A1A
Attachments
Tire Pressure Monitors.jpg
Tire Monitor Screen.jpg
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
dougm

Re: Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM)

Post by dougm »

Glad its everything you expected.
Bett

Post by Bett »

Hi there-

I’m reviving this thread wondering if you’re still impressed with your monitor system, and if you’ve got any good stories to share? I’m considering getting a system too. I’d be interested in hearing from others with experience with these systems as well.

Thanks!
“Don’t believe everything you think.”
1995 Chinook Concourse club dinette
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I had the Tire Minder with the same transmitters, but the receiver is a blue tooth type, so I need to use my cell phone to see the pressure and sensor location. It worked OK, but I have a hard time with putting the sensors on the dually. Unlike Skillet, the previous owner used a braided extension so I need to remove the outer wheels to put the sensor on. If you have a rigid extension, then it should be fine. I did not use the booster either, since our rig is fiber glass, which is pretty transparent to 433 MHz band.

I do not like to have to remove the sensors when I need to add air. I later decided to get Borg valves and have the TPMS mounted internally. I should have get specially designed valve stems for the sensor, but I did not do my research well. So instead, I have the sensors that were installed by a band, which the manufacturer (Dill) do not support. The front tires are regular TPMS sensors you use for most modern cars.

At any rate, the system is working fine, and I like it better.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

I recently purchased this TPMS form Amazon, and it worked well on our recent 7-week trip. I like it because it shows all 6 tires at once and cost less than $100. Once in a while a tire would fail to report in while driving in various situations, but it never lasted more than a few minutes. It was interesting to see the pressure fluctuate during all the different road conditions and weather. The controller is solar powered and sits at the front of my dash under the windshield. The sensors have batteries and just screw on the valves, and act as valve covers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7 ... UTF8&psc=1
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Clay,
That link is inactive now. Could you please let us know what brand it is, and if you still recommend it?
Thanks.
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
caconcourse

Post by caconcourse »

Astrodokk wrote: September 15th, 2022, 12:45 pm Clay,
That link is inactive now. Could you please let us know what brand it is, and if you still recommend it?
Thanks.
It was just like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... K270G&th=1

I also had to add these valve extensions to the front wheels to make room for the sensors: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

and yes, I highly recommend.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA