Do you carry a spare tire?

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
Billmiller

Re: Do you carry a spare tire?

Post by Billmiller »

I got one of these jacks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Very well made and fits in the rear compartment.

Bill
'97 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

That looks like a great set up.

If anyone has the time to post it I'd love to see some photos of where you should place the jack, especially in the rear, so there's no damage to the chassis.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I use that exact jack, except it's 3 ton instead of 6000 lbs. LOL, and was about half that price. Not sure what happened. Check Home Depot.
Paul, I'd post a pic but I'm in Hawaii right now and the Chinook couldn't come with. Anywhere near the leaf spring under the axle tube is fine. For the front, there are two little Frankenstein posts. Not sure, but I think the Econoline manual shows where Ford suggests jacking points.
1994 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Scott, isn't 6000# the same as 3 tons? Is this what you have? I don't see that big of a difference, but they are different model, and look not exactly the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64091 ... B003ULZGFU
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Thanks, Scott. Will have to do a dry run in the driveway so I at least know I can get a bad tire off the rig.

Have fun in Hawaii!
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I saw those two different-but-so-similar-looking jacks on Amazon too. Maybe the mfgr's page would shed some light; I'm not sure I want a combo so I haven't gone to look yet.

A dry run is a great idea. One mini-tip: Since I got a dedicated breaker bar and a torque wrench, I didn't really need the stock "crowbar" style lug wrench. Almost ditched it. But, I did find a really good use for it. So I've got the rig jacked up juuuuust far enough to remove and replace a fully inflated tire. I go to put the spare on, and dang, that inch or so you have to lift it up (AND line up the lugs) is brutal. But put that "crowbar's" flat tip under the tire and lever* it up and oooh, almost easy! Controlled too. I like.

Oh, and if you run the simulators, you may want a socket for the two holder-onner lug nuts as well. IIRC, that's 1-1/8" (but I can't remember for sure). I never really liked that little mini-wrench they give you (and then I think you remove the little chrome caps?). I just use the socket and remove them as one unit.

BG

*Well, it's kind of a reverse lever, because you lift the crowbar; but it still uses leverage.
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I am getting a pair of the combo jack later this week when I have time to drive to the trailer store. They are like $40 each. Maybe I will get just one, and get a pair of regular jack stand, but I think it is more versatile if I get a pair... I will just bring one with me in the Chinook, the other one will be for the garage. Good idea, or I should just get one?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Riste

No spare justification

Post by Riste »

I have been trying to justify not carrying a spare for a while.
Why: Cost (original spare has no miles but is 22 years old.)
Weight (as far away from the axle as possible.)
Gets in the way
Here is how my SO framed it for me.
"If you get a flat on the back just limp into a tire shop. If it is on the front take off a rear unit and put it on the front and limp into a tire shop."
Sure seems to make sense, am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.
Riste
1997 Concourse 460
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how you travel and what your risk tolerance is. There are lots of things we don't carry spares for, and tires are better than in the past. Yet, I still carry one. Why?

1) I moved it to the front, so it actually *removes* around 200# from the rear axle. I can't even see it from the driver's seat unless I stretch my head way up (I'm not tall though).

2) Most road service plans won't go off pavement (or only X feet from it, if so). I go off on gravel or dirt roads quite a bit. Even if they are just "tame" forest roads, if they are not paved.... no dice. You could check with whatever insurance or service you use to see what their policy is. Or if you don't go off pavement, then this doesn't apply.

3) I hate waiting around. So I'd rather have a spare with me.

4) I'm oftentimes many many miles from a tire shop. Or it may be midnight.

5) Changing two tires would annoy me (front tire goes flat, you have to jack up rear and remove one tire, then let that end down and jack up front to remove flat tire and put on former rear tire, then I guess jack up the rear to put the flat tire back on there? Okay, my back hurts just thinking about that (I will do one tire though, no problem). Maybe you wouldn't have to put the flat tire back on the rear - I guess that's something to check into as to whether the wheel studs would be too long without the other wheel there taking up space (or then you'd have to have the flat in the Chinook with you).

6) If I limped very far with only one tire on the rear axle (on one side), I would want to replace both tires on that side. I guess I just don't trust that it wouldn't damage the tire to have double the weight on it. But maybe research would prove this not to be a factor. I haven't checked because of #1-#5.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it. Born Frees often came with no spare (although many owners added one). I'm just giving you my thoughts on it. I can give the tire on the front a big thumbs up. Out of the way (I disliked it by the back door) and bye-bye weight hanging way off the back.
1999 Concourse
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

My compromise was that I took the tire off, but left the bracket. I leave the spare in my parking spot at home, under cover, for most trips. But if I know I'm going to be in the middle of nowhere, or on unpaved roads, I lug it back out and remount it. 98% of the time, I'm on roads where I can get roadside assistance, if I can make a call. For this reason, and convenience when I'm camping, I'm shopping for a cell booster.

With the tire off, the bracket is a handy place to temporarily store a coil of electrical cord while I take a quick trip to the dump station, or hold up a hose when it's muddy and I need to wash the dog's feet every time she comes inside. Also convenient to clip the dog's tie-out to, where she can't get wrapped around the grill and the picnic table and my chair... Really, much more useful without the tire :P
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted: