Chinook RV Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Vendors are strictly limited on the website. If you make, import, wholesale or otherwise provide any product or service for compensation, or receive any fees, bonuses, product or commission for products, providing links, customers, information, or reviews, you must contact the forum owner for a vendor tag before actively pursing any business, review, or related activity on the site. Hobbyist manufacturers are encouraged to provide unique goods or services, but also must obtain an appropriate vendor tag.

Vendor tags are simply an identifier, are provided free of charge and must be for a product(s) or service(s) which benefit the forum members.

You may however, conduct yourself freely as a member of the site with no tag, provided you do not advertise or otherwise sell, link to, provide a website for, or engage in any other activity that could be construed as vendor related.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2017, 10:46 am 

Chevy or GMC G30/350 small block preferred (Dodge B300/360 small block possible) with clear title & current or “non-op” registration.

Must be rust & accident damage free, in good running / driving condition, with decent paint & solid body. Original or 2nd owner with service records a major plus.

Original paint & mostly original interior with side dinette floor plan & cab & rv a/c preferred but not mandatory; mechanical upgrades ok; willing to do some cosmetics/interior renovation &/or repair/replacement of rv components (appliances/water/propane/electrical).

Located in Northern CA (Sacramento area), will travel in western states (CA, OR, WA, NV, AZ) for right unit. Monitoring CL, e-Bay, etc daily – links to listings on other sites (or listings in non-standard classifications) welcomed.

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: October 19th, 2017, 3:56 am 

Hi, so it has to be 75 or earlier?

Would a vehicle not originally sold in CA stll have/require the smog additions?

This 77 has a replacement Chevy engine; does that change things at all?

https://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/d/chino ... 48623.html

Cheers, Kev

PostPosted: October 19th, 2017, 10:02 pm 

Still a somewhat open question on the issue of '75 and earlier - having lived in CA most of my life, and having dealt with the vicissitudes of California's draconian smog laws for much of that time, I'm using the 1975 cut-off because only vehicles from model year 1975 and earlier are completely exempt from CA emissions testing (that's why my daily driver is a 66 Nova station wagon).

Starting with model year 1976, virtually all passenger cars and light duty trucks (except some diesels) are required to pass an "under-load" chassis dyno emission test (with all the sensors linked to a state database in real-time) every two years and before title can be transferred. The potential wild card is weight classifications - through 1977, CA reg's lumped all trucks with a GVRW greater then 7,000 lbs in a "heavy duty" classification that required virtually no smog equipment (closed element air cleaner, pcv valve & evaporative emissions charcoal canister were about it - no cats, egr, or air pump), then bumped the cut-off to 8,000 lbs for model year 1978. Obviously, GM G30 and Dodge B3000 van platforms fell into that category with their 8,000 lb plus GVRW - what I'm trying to determine is whether the regs have changed to draw those chassis from the 2nd half of the 70's (especially those that were sold new outside CA and only had to meet 49-state federal emissions) into the testing pool or not, and if so, how tight the testing specs are.

If it turns out they are subject to testing, a relatively recent engine rebuild or replacement may not help much - in the passenger car/light truck testing procedures, if an engine deviates from stock spec's at all, it's likely to fail (carb, air cleaner, intake manifold, ignition or exhaust system modifications result in an immediate fail on the visual inspection). On the other hand, if they're essentially exempt, or only have to pass a limited visual inspection, I may be able to expand my search pool to at least 1977, and maybe into the early '80's.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 10:13 am 

Interesting, thanks!

I was recently preparing my 94 Chinook for its two year NJ inspection, when I got a notice from the DMV that it no longer requires one! Woo hoo!

After looking it up, it appears this applies to 2007 and older gas powered passenger vehicles between about 8-14K GVWR.

Amazing.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2017, 7:10 pm 

Outcome here was nowhere near that positive.

Talked with the smog shop I usually use yesterday - counter guy said that any gas powered passenger car, light or medium duty truck (wasn't positive about the GVRW, but said it would be no less than 14,000 lbs) built after 1975 has to be smogged one way or another, and the only way for them to know for sure what equipment has to be there, what checks are required, and how it will be tested is to have the vehicle in the shop and have the emissions sticker present under the hood. Wouldn't matter whether it was a federal (49 state) or CA vehicle, either - it would still have to meet whichever standards were applicable.

He said that there's a fair chance that a truck of that size and vintage with a dually rear axle and a GVRW over 8k lbs would only need a visual check and two no-load tailpipe checks (idle and 1500 rpm) but whether it could avoid being subjected to a full test on the chassis dyno would depend on whether the truck would a) fit in the bays and b) have a rear track width too wide to fit on the dyno rollers.

Not worth the aggravation. In addition, I want the flexibility to upgrade to a 383 stroker small block and/or aftermarket fuel injection, so I'm sticking with the original intent of looking exclusively at 1975 and earlier units. I

PostPosted: November 30th, 2017, 10:22 am 

This doesn't totally fit your desired specs, but since there are not that many 18+ (and this one is in California), I figured I'd post a link. 1973 Dodge based model. It's the only one I've "seen" (in photos) of the L-shaped kitchen layout (previously I've only seen it in layout diagrams and illustrations by Chinook).

Doesn't look like it's in stellar shape, but then the price is $2800 or offer. FWIW:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs ... 28526.html

There are 24 pics in the listing. Here are a few for posterity:

Attachment:
outside.jpg
outside.jpg [ 12.69 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

Attachment:
L kitchen.jpg
L kitchen.jpg [ 9.13 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

(Couch is facing forward on forward side of the kitchen ell)

Attachment:
cabinetry.jpg
cabinetry.jpg [ 8.22 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 2:54 pm 

Well, the 73 might not be a restored beauty, but here is an example of what she could look like. Starts at the .26 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY86LI_vNKc

It's not flying off the shelf at 16K though. As far as I know, it's still available.