Chinook RV Forum

It is currently February 24th, 2018, 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Vendors are strictly limited on the website. If you make, import, wholesale or otherwise provide any product or service for compensation, or receive any fees, bonuses, product or commission for products, providing links, customers, information, or reviews, you must contact the forum owner for a vendor tag before actively pursing any business, review, or related activity on the site. Hobbyist manufacturers are encouraged to provide unique goods or services, but also must obtain an appropriate vendor tag.

Vendor tags are simply an identifier, are provided free of charge and must be for a product(s) or service(s) which benefit the forum members.

You may however, conduct yourself freely as a member of the site with no tag, provided you do not advertise or otherwise sell, link to, provide a website for, or engage in any other activity that could be construed as vendor related.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 1:17 pm 

hey Mark,

I just emailed you some pics.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks,

Richard

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 7:40 am 

I am pleased to say, I have purchased a 1997 side entry Chinook Concourse with v10, dual airbags and double sized radio. It is interesting because it has the 1996 style doghouse but everything else is 1998 style. vehicle has 39,000 original miles and was purchased right here in Southern California. I could not be more pleased. I will post pictures at a later date. Mark in San Diego;

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 9:51 am 

Congrats!

markatherton wrote:
It is interesting because it has the 1996 style doghouse but everything else is 1998 style.

Okay, I'm puzzled. Reason is that lots of people with the 1992-1996 style doghouse, have, over the years asked/tried/hoped to convert to the 1997-present style (because the selection of consoles is so much better), but to no avail (the two systems are completely different). So.... how would one go the other way? And, why, since the previous style doghouse had a console that was small, cramped, and not modular (by which I mean that any of the consoles from 1997 to present can be interchanged on the 1997+ doghouse, but not so on the 1992-1996 doghouse). I don't even think the dash is the same (to accept the doghouse, which then in turn accepts the console).

You might want to make absolutely sure the doghouse is fitting properly, because the rubber seal around it is important for keeping heat/fumes/noise etc. from the engine area out of the cab.

On the other hand, the 1992-1996 only had the driver's side airbag, so that's clearly 1997+. But how do they blend?

I hope you'll post a few pics of that part especially.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 12:06 pm 

markatherton wrote:
I am pleased to say, I have purchased a 1997 side entry Chinook Concourse with v10, dual airbags and double sized radio. It is interesting because it has the 1996 style doghouse but everything else is 1998 style. vehicle has 39,000 original miles and was purchased right here in Southern California. I could not be more pleased. I will post pictures at a later date. Mark in San Diego;

Congrats on your purchase and please post pics so we can all enjoy!

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 4:54 pm 

I have a 1996 ford econoline and I have a 1998 Ford econoline; The dog houses are completely different. I would say this 97 is a hybrid between the two. I will try to post some pictures.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2018, 8:41 pm 

markatherton wrote:
I have a 1996 ford econoline and I have a 1998 Ford econoline; The dog houses are completely different. I would say this 97 is a hybrid between the two. I will try to post some pictures.

Please do. I've never seen such a thing.

(I have had both a 1997 E-Series and my present one (Chinook), and between the two, I've used four different consoles* -- but both vans had the same 1997-present doghouse, upon which I hung the consoles.)

BG

*Had to find my "Goldilocks" console :D

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 12:49 pm 

Congratulations Mark. I'm anxious to see how your diesel conversion goes. Are you planning any off road conversions, like front axle swap?

Thanks in advance for sharing your journey with us.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 8:23 am 

I have a Quigley front axle complete that I will put in this unit. The diesel will probably do later. I was not planning to find one with such low mileage.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 6:49 pm 

Yeah, I'd have a hard time taking out a proven engine that only had 39,000 on it. That's a spring chicken of a V10! Mine had 49,000 on it when I got it (78,000 now) and I felt like it was practically new.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 9:31 pm 

markatherton wrote:
I have a Quigley front axle complete that I will put in this unit. The diesel will probably do later. I was not planning to find one with such low mileage.

I saw your van for sale on eBay. Looks like your Chinook will be an awesome off road example someday