Chinook RV Forum

It is currently February 24th, 2018, 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Vendors are strictly limited on the website. If you make, import, wholesale or otherwise provide any product or service for compensation, or receive any fees, bonuses, product or commission for products, providing links, customers, information, or reviews, you must contact the forum owner for a vendor tag before actively pursing any business, review, or related activity on the site. Hobbyist manufacturers are encouraged to provide unique goods or services, but also must obtain an appropriate vendor tag.

Vendor tags are simply an identifier, are provided free of charge and must be for a product(s) or service(s) which benefit the forum members.

You may however, conduct yourself freely as a member of the site with no tag, provided you do not advertise or otherwise sell, link to, provide a website for, or engage in any other activity that could be construed as vendor related.

Post subject: Nada guides vs real life
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 4:32 am 

I have been looking for a good condition 98-05 dinette layout premier or concourse. Thought I might have found it recently but someone beat me to it. I’m trying to understand a fair market value and would love some insight from others who have bought and sold recently. Prices I see posted online are regularly 2x higher than the NADA guides retail price, often more if at a dealer. Where do real I bought it prices fall? Let’s assume average condition for age and no significant repairs needed, reasonable age tires ect. In a condition you would be comfortable taking on a trip without any changes.

FYI, would love leads on for sale models that fit the bill. I’ve got lots of airline miles and will go nationwide to see and drive home, so feel free to reach out if you know of one for sale.

Thanks!

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 5:35 am 

IMO, the value is based on market, i.e. what people will reasonably pay. I’ve noticed that Chinooks are like airstreams. They seem to hold their value very well. Good condition Class Bs also seem to be hard to find. Look on RV Traders.com to get a feel for fair prices. I don’t think most sellers price much higher than what they think they can get. There are different types of “book values” , which are different than market value. Dealers will quote book value to devalue your trade in.

If you’re really interested in a good condition 1999 Premier at a fair price that was renovated on the interior (and done right) by honest sellers, see the ad below.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 5:45 am 

Ad below? Never mind... figured it out. Will email!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 9:47 am 

Yeah, NADA value, especially for older units, bears little or no relationship to real life. Unfortunately, banks and insurance companies often use it as a guide.

As for Chinooks, every year prices are different. Some years they're fairly inexpensive. Some years not. I'm sure some of this has to do with time passing and lower mileage units becoming more and more prized. Although with the drivetrains they have, even 100K miles is not a lot if taken care of.

So when I was looking, I made my own chart of price ranges I saw for units on eBay, Craigslist and RV Trader. Especially what they actually went for on eBay, not what owners were asking. That way I knew what the actual ballpark prices should be.

Most RVs are sold because the owner cannot travel any more. Often they've sat neglected for a while. Thus you also need to build into your estimates normal items like new tires, new batteries, probably generator service, surprisingly often a new HDTV instead of analog, etc. Any of those that don't need replacement are a bonus and should raise your offer.

In any case, yes you have to be willing to move very fast. I've seen both eBay and Craigslist listings that disappeared overnight... before most people even noticed them. (Silly me once thought I should politely wait until morning to call about a very low mileage side entry in PA that was listed late one late night. It was sold by morning.)

What kind of mileage / condition are you looking for?

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 5:03 pm 

I’m not afraid of reasonable miles for age if it is well maintained. I am in communication with the owner of the one listed here, but am second in line from someone else coming to look at it on Thursday. I get the quick movement, often by the time I enquire it has sold!

As for condition, I’m not an engine guy. So I don’t want to have to do engine, drivetrain or suspension repairs. However I am a wood/plumbing/electrical guy so can and will take care of those issues myself. If it is far away from the Pacific Northwest then I need it in good enough shape that I can drive it back here comfortably after I pick it up.

I’m willing to pay a fair price up to about 30k but not more than that minus any reasonable cost for required repairs. Please do let me know any leads, I try to scan E-Bay and Craigslist regularly, but seem to be consistently second to respond to rvs that have sold!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 10:05 pm 

I agree that book values are pretty meaningless in terms of Chinooks. The nice thing about living in the Northwest is that they seem to pop up on a fairly regular basis. They do seem to sell fast. I seem to see more listings out of Oregon for some reason. My expectation would be to find one in good shape in the $25-$35K range. Good luck on your search.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2018, 10:49 am 

This is fairly common in "niche" value items, I've found. A few models of boats that I also like are the same way. NADA values are around half of what real market values have shown to be, consistently, over many years. (So it's not like it just changed but they haven't caught up.)

This can be a headache or "gotcha" when trying to finance a purchase, or insure it once bought (since if you don't make it a point, they may just go by NADA value).

If I could buy a half dozen at NADA value and then re-sell them at fair market value, I'd be set. Alas, no.

PS: A good condition dinette layout 98-05 encompasses a pretty large swath. I'd say there's a bit of a dividing line in 02-03 when the outside paint job went from racing stripes livery (Concourse) to swoops. Also around the same time the interior cabinetry went from oak (and "oak") to cherry/"cherry" or maple/"maple." There was steady feature creep too.

My guess (based on a few years ago when I was shopping extensively) would be from around 24k to 35k, with outlier higher prices for 05 because it's close to the newest you'll ever be able to get, and might be on the 05 chassis with the newer transmission and dash with a tach.

That's not to say newer is better for everyone. I was open to all, but specifically hoped for 97-01. That's because I wanted the 97-and-up engine family and dual airbags, but I like the classic racing stripes livery and don't like the swoops. I WOULD have liked the newer maple cabinetry, but every one I saw was cherry not maple. I'm not a huge fan of cherry and yet it would have been "too nice" to change. I also wanted the manual steps and general less feature creep of the late 90's models (many of the features require shorepower to use, and they also add weight and the rear axle is close to maxed out anyway, and I needed margin to tow). But I did consider a nice '03 too :) In the end I found a super nice '99, in the color and layout I wanted -- but I had to look for awhile and drive a long way to get it, in January, of course!

Since I was looking for a club lounge, naturally they were predominantly dinettes at that time :|