A "joining the forum and saying 'Hi'" thread (for anyone)

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
1998chinook

Re: A "joining the forum and saying 'Hi'" thread (for anyone

Post by 1998chinook »

Legend:
DD = Darling Daughter, you can also substitute Dollar Drainer
DS = Darling Son
DW = Darling Wife

My 15yo DD plays competitive softball. My 13yo DS plays competitive soccer. For the last several years (and hopefully many more to come), DW and I have spent many a long weekends at at the sports fields. I have been telling my crew for a while now, I'd like to get a camper van or conversion van to use for travel to/from tournaments and a place to hang out between games or during rain delays. My journey for determining the perfect vehicle started with some Google image searches. I was immediately drawn toward Sportsmobiles. I really liked the look and the different uses for them. I joined the Sportsmobile forum where I lurked for several months reading and envying some of the rigs built and being built. Then one day a Sportsmobile forum member placed his beloved tricked out van up for sale. He declared what he really wanted was a 4x4 Chinook and his next project was going to be a Chinook and have Quigley convert it to a 4x4. I had no idea what a Chinook was, so I looked it up, and the hook was set the first time I saw one. I found Bill's tumbler blog http://chinookconcourse.tumblr.com/ and started following his adventures and vehicle modifications which only added fuel to the fire. Bills blog provided links to the Chinook yahoo group, which I quickly joined. I posted on the chinook group about a possible Chinook I had found that was pretty rough. Eileen Disbrow sent me a private message telling me about a few members who had their Chinooks for sale. On father's day this year, I flew to Staunton VA, and purchased my 98 from a wonderful couple and drove it back to Kansas City. Since then we have taken trips to Colorado, and Chicago twice. We enjoy and appreciate the freedom and comfort our 98 Concourse gives us. I have been upgrading and modifying since I got it, and hope to share and learn with you all.
Last edited by 1998chinook on August 7th, 2014, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Welcome, and what a great Chinook story!

I had a Sportsmobile before I bought my Chinook. They're both great rigs in their own way. The main thing I miss from the switch is the side doors/having many access doors. Nothing quite like flinging those two side doors open at a great campsite. That said, all rigs have their compromises, and there are many things I really really like about the Chinook. It sure rocks being able to get up and walk around inside!
1999 Concourse
A Rooney

Post by A Rooney »

Hi,I have been monitoring this forum although mostly hang at yahoo,don't see that there needs to be a schism between the two,and I enjoy reading the longer and informative posts here.

2001Premier, Rooney
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Rooney - glad you joined us here. If you feel like posting anything, we will enjoy reading it (maybe pics of your rig? Who can get enough of looking at Chinooks :D) Or maybe you have a tip or question.
1999 Concourse
jeanie19
**Forum Contributor**

Post by jeanie19 »

Twin Chinooks JK (640x480).jpg
The 2000 Concourse in the rear of the twins picture is mine, the other is a neighbor’s 2001, both are dinette layouts, and we're planning some travels together. I've had it since 2006 but am just venturing out solo, and learning the systems as I go. A goal is to get the most from the batteries to be able to avoid utility hookups at state parks and do some boondocking. Am enjoying everyone’s stories, tips, how-to’s and upgrades. My wish list of projects include laminate flooring and replacing the beverage-mate, so those posts are especially interesting. I found the “bookmarks” feature and am using it to refer back to a topic and to increase my project list. Wish there was a “like” feature to let posters know that their topic is particularly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone who shares their tips and projects.
Jeanie K.
2000 Chinook Concourse
Plank flooring, Wave heater, CO cubby
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi Jeanie, and welcome! The "twins" photo is great. How fun to plan some travels as a team - people will think they are seeing double :D

Do you know about the "View unread posts" feature? (Third from the right above the grey bar.) If you click that it will show all the post that have occurred since you were last here. Then, in that listing, you will see an orangeish square to the left of each post title; if you click on that it will bring you right to the place in the thread where you left off last time.

I haven't used the bookmark feature, will have to check that out.

I'm just planning out my boondocking/electrical system upgrade now - so we may both be working on it at the same time. I'm going to do a pretty good overhaul - make it a bit more like the systems I'm used to from boating. I really like to boondock.

it's good to know you are finding the "how to" threads useful. I've added a bunch of them but was starting to wonder if I was "over-posting" :?

Glad you are here!
1999 Concourse
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Blue~Go wrote:it's good to know you are finding the "how to" threads useful. I've added a bunch of them but was starting to wonder if I was "over-posting" :?
Absolutely not over-posting. Your information is much appreciated. Thanks for your detailed posts, and thanks for sharing.