New member in Las Vegas NV

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
Browndog

New member in Las Vegas NV

Post by Browndog »

Hi everyone, just bought a 2004 Premier from a nice lady here in Las Vegas named Barbara Todd! I think she may have been a member here not sure. She is almost 90 and a little sick so she decided to sell her motor home that she truely loves! She is a cousin by marriage and I was lucky enough to be able to purchase it and she is happy that for the time being it stays in the family.

I've been enjoying reading and learning about my new toy. I don't have an owners manual or any experience so I may be asking a bunch of newbie questions.

I have been collecting and generally playing with firearms for a number of years. My handle (name) on the gun boards is either Browndog or SKSbrowndog so I thought I would use it here as well.

My first task is trying to learn how to power things up and switch power (can't get my gen started) and then I'm going to move to some mods (change out the 13" tube tv with a 22" LED) already found a great thread on here!

Anyways, look forward to participating and learning.

Bob
aka Browndog
kdarling

Re: New member in Las Vegas NV

Post by kdarling »

Hello! Glad you were able to keep the Chinook in the family.

As for a manual, check the Reference subforum section here. There's a thread about manuals, which contains a 2004 Concourse one, which should be close.

Manuals thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279

Cheers, Kevin
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

Ok I've had it in my driveway for 5 days now! I'm in love! Haven't went anywhere but sure am having fun playing around with it in the driveway.

I have figured out how to hook up shore power and get all of the lights on. The toilet seemed like the foot valve was "stuck" my cousin told me to turn the pump on and it would work? Where's the pump? Ok I found the pump and turned it on, he was right it fixed the broken toilet valve!

I've yet to figure out how to run all of this stuff off of the battery? I've left it plugged in and have the switch above the driver in the (in use charging) green light on mode over night. When I unplug the 110v it seems like the battery's are not charged? Lights won't come on (not sure what to do) I popped the covers off the batteries and they are full of water and they look brand new (maybe I have some switch in the wrong position)?

The air conditioner runs like a champ (yeh something works great).
I haven't tried to run hot water yet.
I haven't tried the heater yet.
I haven't tried out the fridge yet either.
I did try to start the generator, it turns over really quick but no fire, my driveway is really slanted and I was thinking maybe the tilt was to big? I bought some starting fluid and was gonna squirt a "tiny" bit into the air filter on level ground but to be honest I'm a little afraid to.

Love the forum and I think I've read most of the posts already, ha

Bob aka Browndog
Attachments
IMG_0228.JPG
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

Now that I've figured out how to post pictures.....

Here is where I found it, been sitting for a few years, had been serviced regularly. I had it detailed this weekend. Looks like new! I swear this thing is awesome, not sure yet if the small Rv thing is for me but to get a chance to try it out with this thing is beyond exciting. :-)
Attachments
IMG_0218.JPG
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

One more, if you guys are like the gun websites you love pictures!!
Attachments
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Nice pics!

As for the generator, they're infamous for gumming up if not used. (My snowblower does the same if I'm not careful to add Sea Foam to the tank.)

Another common reason it won't start, is that its fuel pickup is about 1/4 to 1/3 up in the gas tank, which is so you can't run your vehicle's tank empty with the generator. So first make sure you have over a half tank of gas.

Plus, it won't start unless it cranks to a certain RPM point. Sometimes I've had to hold down the battery assist button or run the van engine, to get an extra electric starter kick.

Also the autothrottle linkage can bind a tiny bit. Take the cover off and make sure the linkage moves easily. I lubricated mine and it's been pretty faithful since.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Looks gorgeous! Nothing like storing indoors or under cover.

I'm on the road now, just popping in. I'll have to drool over the photos later.

On the batteries/charging system. Just so you don't think it's "you" in particular: These rigs were designed like most RV's of the day (and even most RV's of THIS day), by which I mean, they were meant to go from power hookup to power hookup, basically. Alternator charging while driving would keep batteries up to 80% or so, then shore power (or generator) would actually provide you power most of the time.

The chargers/wiring/etc. really won't keep batteries going very effectively. If you do tend to drive powerpost to powerpost (with hits of generator in between if using microwave, etc.), then you can just keep things as they are and plan on buying new batteries every year or two. Just get relatively inexpensive flooded cell types. This works for maybe 80% of people (just depends on your usage pattern).

If you are going to boondock or dry camp more, the charging/wiring/batteries can be brought up to modern boat/boondocker level, but it costs some $$. So to my mind only do that if you need to (or just want the satisfaction and learning curve). I fit into the boondocker camp, so I've changed over to a more "boat like" system and live off of solar power and 12 volt items. But if that's not your use case, then no need.

Just to summarize: This is not to pound on Chinook at all. They were doing as well or better than most at the time (or even now). And their target market was older folks downsizing from Class A rigs. Most of those people were already going power post to power post, and they didn't want to "give anything up," so the Chinook is designed like a small version of a Class A of the day. Lots of "home like" appliances and figuring on users being plugged in most of the time, with short spurts of driving, and a generator just because that's what coaches have (not that it doesn't work - it does - but most folks aren't going to overnight with the generator running to have AC because it's pretty loud. Typically one would find a park at that point and plug in. But what i mean is that all coaches had generators then, so that was expected. And they do also work well for using the household appliances (microwave, Mr. Coffee, etc.) in short spurts.

That target market was not going to be boondocking, so things weren't designed for that. It can be changed if you like, but otherwise just know the batteries are basically a slowly dying auxilliary system. All batteries are just that, of course, but some more than others. And if you use the coach like the target market, then it will work pretty well. (And Chinook did peg their target market very well.)

Back to your new baby: Looks like you have a super sweet Chinook there. Now you can see how you like it and how you might like to use it. Good times!
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Welcome Bob,

Very nice looking Premier. I also have a 2004 Premier that is very similar to yours. The main difference I see is that mine has Maple cabinets and trim. (I quickly replaced the TV and VCR with a flat screen and double din DVD/CD. )

My generator has not been "exercised" as it should so doesn't run consistently. (Generators that are not run monthly often become hard starting from sitting gas) My plan is to order a new carb off Amazon and replace then clean the other as a back up. For me it's much cheaper than having mine rebuilt by Onan.

Enjoy your new rig and glad to have you aboard.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

Thanks for the welcome everyone, I think I'll head over and start my Q&A thread lol
HereComesTrouble

Post by HereComesTrouble »

Nice pictures and welcome to the group. Very nice looking Premier there. If you do decide it's too small for you, drop me a line. I would be very interested in a bit smaller Chinook. I feel my Chinook Destiny is just a little bigger than what I would really prefer.