Someday..

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
GypsyDogs

Someday..

Post by GypsyDogs »

Just a quick Hello:

I currently camp in a self-built 1987 Dodge b250 (stripped interior, built simple camping accommodations..) with my 2 amazing dogs...
The attachment cozy.jpg is no longer available
I've learned a lot about renovating and building stuff.. and doing wiring and solar and mechanical and and....
I like efficient and cozy.
I have a soft spot for the 'older' rigs
cozy.jpg
But I am saving up for a Chinook... getting older, don't wanna hunch over any more.
Someday-Chinook...
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Someday..

Post by Manitou »

Being able to stand up straight was a big deal for me. It was one of the reasons I never got a class b van. There are some great deals to be had on slightly older chinooks. If I were to buy again, I would probably get a stripe paint job that was still new enough to have the ford v10 (is that possible guys? I feel like the last couple years of the stripe paint had the newer motor).
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Welcome, GypsyDogs!

I also had a class B before I got my Chinook. It is nice to have some "walking around" space, especially in bad weather or when someplace where you want to inhabit "inside world" (Walmart, rest area, etc.).
Manitou wrote: May 30th, 2018, 9:16 amAIf I were to buy again, I would probably get a stripe paint job that was still new enough to have the ford v10 (is that possible guys? I feel like the last couple years of the stripe paint had the newer motor)
I commented in the other thread where you asked as well, but I believe that all of the "racing stripe" livery Concourses came with the V-10 once that engine existed (1997). I don't think I have ever seen one with a V-8 (not counting the big 460 from before 1997).

I do know that later on, Chinook offered the V-8 5.4 as "standard" and then you could option up to the V-10, but I'm not sure if that was only in the Premier or also included the Concourse. Kind of makes sense it would have been the Premier since that was the more affordable model. In any case I don't think it would have been many Concourses even if it was possible. All I have seen have been V-10.

(Obviously the Premier had stripes too, but those were vinyl, so since you said painted stripes I'm presuming you mean the racing-stripe Concourses such as mine.)
1999 Concourse
GypsyDogs

Post by GypsyDogs »

As long as there are not gaping holes.. I don't care about what the exterior looks like... same with interior.. Functional- yes, Mechanical- yes, Cosmetic- nearly irrelevant. I can spifferize most anything, given a bit of time/cash. LOL

My most difficult challenge is ... I will have to work mega hours for YEARS to be able to afford a Chinny... :cry: or win the lottery.
Someday-Chinook...
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

.. I don't care about what the exterior looks like... same with interior.. Functional- yes, Mechanical- yes, Cosmetic- nearly irrelevant.
A man sharing my own philosophy there, GypsyDogs. We customized our first RV on a 1995 GMC Vandura 3500 (A-Team, anyone?) with the 4WD “Super Trak” conversion by Quigley in Manchester, PA.

This spartan vehicle had no plumbing, limited head room and quite a drop to the ground exiting the rear door. Functionally it was just the ticket to access remote areas off the beaten track. Now our far more luxurious Chinook suffers similar treatment out in the boondocks. Reliability trumps cosmetics in my book!

Cheers,
Attachments
DSC_2905.jpg
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
GypsyDogs

Post by GypsyDogs »

:)

You mean like...
MIaQzAz.jpg
without the 4wd

yeah.. my current daily-driver/camper is a no frills steel tent with solar power, a dual fuel (b/p) stove, and a bed. (and a persnickety carburetor..)

and.. ps: I'm a chick..
Snapshot - 1.jpg
Someday-Chinook...
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Oops, my bad - derailed by assumptions; better report to the compliance officer ;) Yes, carbs are persnickety, particularly in these days of ethanol fuel blends, but part of the charm of older vehicles. At least you can rebuild/repair a carb economically yourself without having to program some mysterious computer black box.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
GypsyDogs

Post by GypsyDogs »

It's ok.. I'm used to being mistaken for a dude- probably because I speak car, can build/fix stuff, and wield tools without injury- usually.
My hubby says I am more dude than he is.. :lol:
Someday-Chinook...