New to the Group - Molded Fiberglass Fan!!!

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
DeanCHS1980

New to the Group - Molded Fiberglass Fan!!!

Post by DeanCHS1980 »

Hi All,

Laura and I are a couple of empty nesters that are in our 2nd season RVing and traveling with our '05 Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe travel trailer (egg camper). As you may know, Casita's are made from molded fiberglass. I caught the RV bug in the Fall' 14. Initially, I thought we would get an RV at retirement (10 years at the time). The more I researched, the more I got the bug. I thought a small, used travel trailer would be a great way to start after our youngest graduated from college (4 years at the time). By the Summer '15, I had discovered "egg campers". We then visited a rally in October, '15. Rather than waiting 4 more years, we bought our new to us Casita one month later followed by a used tug in December, '15!!! We camped 38 nights in '16 and towed 4,000 miles. In '17, we will camp 40 to 45 nights. I have my one and only sabbatical in the Spring, '18. So far, I have scheduled 47 nights of camping in '18 and will probably hit 60 nights in '18. We love traveling, RVing, and camping.

We are very happy with our Casita, but both us are enamored with small motorhomes (small Class Cs or B+s at or under 25'). Being a fan of molded fiberglass, I learned about Chinooks. I have spent some time this weekend researching Chinooks. Prior to retirement in 6 to 8 years, we are thinking of buying a small used motorhome and using it as well. This would give us a better idea of what we want to do come retirement by either upgrading our Casita to an Escape, Bigfoot, or Oliver (all egg campers) or perhaps a newer small motorhome. I tend to like Lazy Daze, Phoenix Cruisers, Coach House (molded fiberglass, but very pricey), Leisure Travel Vans, Winnebago Views, etc.

After reading about Chinooks, WOW! Very nice!!!

If you don't mind, I am going to hang out here some to learn more about these uber cool small motorhomes. I have learned enough to know that Chinooks are high end small motor homes and that their owners are passionate about them.

Take care and Happy Camping to All,

Dean
Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' FD | '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD
Blue~Go

Re: New to the Group - Molded Fiberglass Fan!!!

Post by Blue~Go »

Welcome! Yes, fiberglass can be addicting. I have a Chinook, a small trailer (13-footer), and a li'l boat. Thank goodness I'm not into flying! :o :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Welcome, Dean and Laura!

You're about the third Casita egg owner I've seen on Chinook forums in the past year.

You guys really are 'glass fans :)

Come to think of it, if I was ever going from a Chinook to a trailer, I'd think the same way!

Kevin
Last edited by kdarling on August 29th, 2017, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

P.S. We really need to make a welcome page, but until then, read this thread and follow all the links in it:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=663&p=5165#p5165
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
DeanCHS1980

Post by DeanCHS1980 »

Blue~Go wrote:Welcome! Yes, fiberglass can be addicting. I have a Chinook, a small trailer (13-footer), and a li'l boat. Thank goodness I'm not into flying! :o :mrgreen:

Blue Go,

Good point! I have noticed some full-time RVers transitioning to boats. In my research, small, used, and molded fiberglass made sense for us. At some point, I would like to try a small motorhome, so why not stay with the durability of molded fiberglass. I have also enjoyed reading Chinooks history. They seem to have a devoted and passionate following which says something about the product.

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980

Post by DeanCHS1980 »

kdarling wrote:Welcome, Dean and Laura!

You're about the third Casita egg owner I've seen on Chinook forums in the past year.

You guys really are 'glass fans :)

Come to think of it, if I was ever going from a Chinook to a trailer, I'd think the same way!

Kevin

Kevin,

Given we are only in our 2nd season of camping with our Casita, I still think of us as newbies. One of our favorite camping activities is to go to "egg rallies". We will hit six this season. Folks with Scamps, Casitas, Escapes, Bigfoots, Parkliners, Lil Snoozys, Egg Campers, and Olivers as well as vintage brands like Boler, Burro, U-Haul, etc. are passionate about their campers. So, rallies are a great way to learn about egg campers. Given that most molded fiberglass egg campers are sold direct from the manufacturer, buyers have to seek them out rather than just seeing them at a dealership. These egg campers only make up a very small percentage of the RV market. Based on what I like about egg campers, I appreciate Chinooks and want to learn more about them.

Thank you,

Dean