Early generation Chinooks on Dodge chassis'

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
chinook440

Re: Early generation Chinooks on Dodge chassis'

Post by chinook440 »

My 78 was an exact twin to your,s astro .

The 360 was swapped for a 440 .The previous owned went a little crazy with the stickers :|

i plan on removing them one of these days and painting on some stripes in the stock pattern .
Attachments
nook at po creek.jpg
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Yours looks fine that way too. I don't particularly care for my stripe design. I was contemplating painting my rig similar to this, but not a high priority:
Attachments
blk rv 50.jpg
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Here are a couple of pics of the doorstop and upper bunk.
The doorstop is some old piece of plastic that I found in the garage.
The bunk bed is pulled out to make it double the depth.
Attachments
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0151 20.jpg
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Really like that upper bunk option. Do you prefer it or the couch? I wonder if I could pull it off in mine. I'm sure someone could do it.. Don't know if I'm that someone.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Interesting about the door stop. In my generation Chinook (1999) that vertical flange on the passenger side of the back steps is in about the place the door lands when it is open exactly 90º. So what I mean is, my stock door stop is in about the same place as yours, but at that point the door is only open 90º. It looks like that passenger side vertical flange on your step is offset to the right of where the door hinges, as compared to mine which are in line.

These two photos aren't my rig - they are both 1999 Premiers. But they show the door stop mounted on the side of the step, and how the door is still only open 90º. I like yours with a bit more angle!
99 Premier rear door and stop.jpg
rear 1.jpg
On the overcab bed: I see, so it extends over the "living room" when it's in use. Where does the extra cushion piece go during the day? On top of the overcab section?
1999 Concourse
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Yes, it looks like your step side would be pretty much even with the door when open 90 degrees. Mine is offset about 2 inches I think.
The second cushion for the overhead bunk is stowed right on top of the other one. I'll measure the vertical dimension and depth when it's deployed just for informational stats.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Chinook440, are your side view mirrors power? I'm looking into getting Ramco.
Is that a front receiver under the bumper? I worry about overheating but I like that idea.
You don't have a roof AC? I can't use mine unless I'm plugged in anyway, which is not very often. I would sure like a genset and solar!
Do you like the 440, or would keeping the 360 have been not that big a difference?
I think my 360 small block is adequate for me. My 454 big block on the Airstream was a gas guzzler.
I like your nice paint job. Where are you located?
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

I like the 440 , it runs strong is totally reliable and averages an honest 10 mpg which is about the same as a 360 or even a late model injected engine for that matter. It has been rebuilt / modified slightly and the factory 4.10 gear was swapped for a 3.54 gear set which helps as well.

My side mirrors and the front and rear hitch , among other things, i fabricated myself. ( i do ornamental iron work for a living)

i have a 10k a/c unit below the fridge that works well and is very quiet . It was a lot of work to duct and drain correctly but without a rooftop a/c i can fit my rig in my home garage.

I,m running a 12volt compressor boat style fridge so the vents previously used for the fridge i can use for the a/c. Without the rooftop a/c i,m an inch or so under 9' tall and can even squeeze through some drive thrus. LoL

i,m from the land of very few chinooks :D ....... the god forsaken city if chicago il.
Attachments
nook front.jpg
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

The mirrors are not powered , they are just standard chevy van mirror heads installed in an upright postion with the custom made arms with universal 4 x 6 blind spot mirrors below them.

I thought about getting powered versions of this same style but i,m the only person who drives my chinook so once they are set correctly there,s no reason for me to move them.
Attachments
nook mirrorr.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

chinook440 wrote: I,m running a 12volt compressor boat style fridge so the vents previously used for the fridge i can use for the a/c.
I think this would call for a new thread, but would you care to discuss your refrigerator mod? If so, I'd be glad to move this post to the new thread and carry on from there. I've been thinking of replacing my (huge!) Dometic RM3663 (3-way) refrigerator/freezer with a 12-volt boat type one (perhaps Vitrifrigo or Isotherm). Was looking at either a "normal" two-door style or perhaps a two-drawer unit. I'd *really* like to have a unit that is less deep (the RM 3663 juts out into the already narrow aisle), and although I've never minded a good propane system on a boat or in an RV (meaning, I'm not "scared" of it in principle), I'm not that fond of the propane refrigerators for various reasons.

For me, this would have to wait until after I have a better solar system installed, as I don't want to be too generator dependent. If we do go to a new thread, I'll have some questions for you about how you power yours.

On the air-conditioner: I removed mine (stored away safely of course), so I'm also a member of the sleek roof club :D
1999 Concourse