Early generation Chinooks on Dodge chassis'

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Astrodokk

Early generation Chinooks on Dodge chassis'

Post by Astrodokk »

This is my 20' 1978 Dodge Sportsman Chinook Concourse. It has a Dodge/Chrysler (Mopar) small block 360 V8, linked to a 3 speed 727 automatic transmission, and rolls on 16.5" wheels.
It has a 2 barrel Holley carburetor, FACTORY electronic ignition in the distributer, so no points to have to adjust, and power steering.
I have the Club Lounge edition, and also a bunk above the cab. It has the typical propane furnace, propane water heater, 3 way refrigerator, gas oven and 4 burner stove, and roof AC.
I would love to add Ramco electric side view mirrors as I did in my Airstream, possibly add electric windows, perhaps modify the engine with a four barrel and intake manifold (maybe fuel injection?), ceramic coated headers and dual exhaust, maybe a tachometer, and other nifty things like rear camera, maybe a genset, or solar. Its a blank canvas.
I've owned a 28' Airstream motorhome for 12 years, and recently downsized to this. It goes anywhere and places I couldn't get into with the Class A.
Enjoy the photos. Let's see how these evolved to the newer beauties that we now see around!
This first one is the day I bought it and my sister is modeling it for laughs.
Attachments
Liz 20.jpg
2000 Ford E350 415CI/6.8L V-10 Triton Chinook Concourse XL Club Lounge
Astrodokk

Re: Early generation Chinooks on Dodge chassis'

Post by Astrodokk »

Entering from the rear door.
Attachments
IMG_0121 70.jpg
IMG_0128 70.jpg
IMG_0123 75.jpg
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Is this going to be a hot chicks with old rv's thread? I like it! (Oh.. sorry man.. That's your sister;))
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

It has only one coach battery in the wardrobe and it looks like a self resetting circuit breaker.
Attachments
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0122 70.jpg
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

Manitou, I think she'll like your compliment.
That's it for one of the Dodge generation Chinook archives. Hopefully there will be others to compare notes with.
Attachments
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sweet! What a fantastic classic.

I like the bed over the cab! I had looked at that space in my rig and contemplated whether it would be large enough for a bunk. I think it would be a bit tight. Of course there is no window, and also I think the "wall" where I have cupboards (rear edge of bed on your rig) has been made into a more "bay window" shape on my-generation rig (so there is less overcab in the center area than you have). That said, I like the storage and don't really need another bunk, so I'm happy with it --- but the setup you have is really neat and gives the rig a spacious look (plus a bunk!).

It's fun to me to see how the Chinooks have stayed pretty similar for so long. Kind of neat that they didn't feel the need to change the layout just to make it new or different ('course there is only so much you can do with 20' or so, and they did try a side door/rear bed model for a short time).

I have the Club Lounge layout too, and I see so many similarities in yours! First few things I notice that are a bit different are the shorter refrigerator and then the drawers above it; the bed over the cab of course, and that the rear door opens a bit further (later ones like mine only open 90º - there is a "stop/holder" on the side of the steps). And of course the Dodge chassis, slightly different windows, and stripe variation. I can definitely see the "family heritage" in my '99 Concourse after looking at yours.

Really cool! Thanks for the pics.
Last edited by Blue~Go on July 31st, 2014, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Dang.. Now you got me thinking about converting that tv upper space area into a bunk. Would probably feel like a coffin though wouldn't it? Vampires are cool and all, but I'm not dead yet. Maybe just have it for a guest bed I suppose. I'll have to measure it when I get back to my rig in 3ish weeks.
Astrodokk

Post by Astrodokk »

My rear door also opened only 90 degrees, and I didn't like that, so I took the stop off and fabricated a small plastic stop to keep it open past the 90 degree mark. I can get a close up later.
The upper bunk has a second section that pulls out and becomes double in size. Your feet point toward the front. I'll get a close up of that too.
I'm glad this thread garnered some good comments and questions. Hopefully it can help others in the future.

For giggles, here's a pic of my 1981 Airstream and 1965 Corvette Stingray during my hot rod days.
Attachments
AS and Vette.JPG
AS and Vette.JPG (45.14 KiB) Viewed 6231 times
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

It definitely looks like you have more vertical space above the cab. Just from the outside picture.. Like 3-6inches more.
I think I could handle the interior bunk work and even installing a window, but not cuting and raising the fiberglass.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Astrodokk wrote:My rear door also opened only 90 degrees, and I didn't like that, so I took the stop off and fabricated a small plastic stop to keep it open past the 90 degree mark. I can get a close up later.
I'd like to see that, as I might consider making a similar mod. I will have to see whether there is any other reason for the door not opening a bit further (until it hits the ladder, anyway). Even a few more degrees would be nice.

Nice Airstream and 'Vette, too.
1999 Concourse