Chinooks seen on the road

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
SMan

Re: Chinooks seen on the road

Post by SMan »

This very rough Chinook is a few miles from our home. I guess it goes with the surroundings. Could use a bit of rehab. An early 70's Dodge. (1973?)
IMG_1339.JPG
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

I was in Moab, UT this week (5/21-5/23) without the rig. I happened across 2 Chinooks while there. Didn't get any pics but one was in the Sand Flats Recreation Area campground (90's model concourse) and another was an 80's model 18+ that I can't specifically remember the location. I didn't get to stop and say since I was on a moto adventure with a buddy.

Was that anyone who frequents this forum?
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

We've been on the road for two weeks today, leaving Santa Cruz, CA, driving through Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and now on our way home. We've seen one Chinook - looked like a 90's Concourse. They are pretty rare beasts.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

A fellow Chinooker honked (friendly ones) at me early this week, then he disappeared into CA-22. It has a buggy in tow.

Then today, I spotted a Chinook, maybe 1998 or 1999, from Oregon, in the Borrego Palm campground.

First time see a Chinook for two days in a week. Any of you were the driver of these rigs?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

After reading this post, it got me kind of curious...Does anyone have any actual production numbers of how many Chinooks were built each year? Realize it's a shot in the dark but I'm interested...
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL
rgmullins

Post by rgmullins »

I spotted this antique at a camp ground in Florida. Any idea what year it is?
Attachments
IMG_20190227_160809.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190227164432_COVER.jpg
Rick
Cincinnati, Oh
98 Concourse
ltg

Post by ltg »

Not on the Road, but I saw 21 Chinooks at the Chinook Rally at Colfax, Louisiana on April 1, 2019.
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

rgmullins wrote: April 6th, 2019, 5:03 am I spotted this antique at a camp ground in Florida. Any idea what year it is?
Late 1960's, early 1970's era Chinook "Mobillodge 1400 or 2200" (Dodge chassis?)
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Cincy Spin
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Cincy Spin »

Dano wrote: March 24th, 2019, 5:54 am After reading this post, it got me kind of curious...Does anyone have any actual production numbers of how many Chinooks were built each year? Realize it's a shot in the dark but I'm interested...

**********(Everything which follows is in response to the above quote and not a part of that quote, but somehow everything got included in that quote and I don't want to try to fix it, mess it up some more, and have to start all over, so forgive me my trespass, this being Sunday and all.)**********

I was wondering the same thing...so I googled "Chinook RV production numbers" and the first entry was a referral to this forum-https://www.chinookrvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=315

I'm sure you'll want to read all the posts from that thread, as there are some very original and inventive proposals for finding an answer. But in case you're pressed for time, the post from that thread which came the closest to finding an answer (imho) contained the following info from the updated "Tin Can Tourist": According to an interview with the company owner, Chinook made up to 450 units a year during it's heyday in the early 2000's.

Since it was a private company, you probably need to "know someone" in order to get the exact figures, but that's close enough for me
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The trick for quoting is to type your response after the [ /quote ], and it will not look like it is part of the quote.

Anyway, there are a few outliers when I look at the chassis numbers that some members posted, so I don't know if there are some bad numbers. Maybe Premier have a different sequence than the Concourse? Why someone has a chassis number starting with the letter "S"?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis