Front Window Shades

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Skillet

Front Window Shades

Post by Skillet »

What do ya'll use to keep the sun from baking the interior on your front windshield? I see some wrap-arounds available and I've seen the folding ones that set up inside on the dash. Trying to figure out what I want...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Front Window Shades

Post by Chinookers »

I have an ADCO 2407 external cover that I use when we will be stationary for a while - have used it fairly regularly since 2/14 - vinyl still in great condition - available from Amazon for about $40 - there's a link to it on the "useful Stuff' page on my blog - http://chinookers.blogspot.com/p/store_1442.html

I keep one of those silver folding auto shades behind the driver seat and pop it in place whenever we are parking for just a short time - the visors hold it in place - installs or stores in seconds so we always use it
Blue~Go

Re: Front Window Shades

Post by Blue~Go »

I have one of the basic, silver folding window shades for the interior (just like one you'd have for a car that folds with ~6" wide accordion pleats). I use it all the time, but I'm thinking that when it wears out, I may make one of Reflectix and just roll it up. Reason would be that the folding one leaves gaps here and there.

A friend has a Cover Craft for his car windshield (semi-custom inside accordion folding cover) and it is really nice, high quality, and fits really well. However it lets in a bit more heat than a silver/foil type one. Looks a lot nicer though and is heavy and sort of "felty" on the inside.

On the outside, I got a Sunpro "mesh" type cover that is made out of a material similar to Phifertex. It blocks a fair bit of sunlight, and provides daytime privacy, but you can still see out. I've had similar window covers on boats. But.... I haven't once used it. I guess I'm too lazy, and/or don't want a bunch of things to do before I can drive somewhere. Maybe eventually I'll start using it (?). It hooks on to the doors and under the wiper arms (no snaps or etc.)

Tangentially related, I have a dark "curtain" (only it's a bit more primitive than a curtain) that I can put up behind the cab seats. I find this to work well when in places such as a rest area, or other slightly stealthy spot. Reason is you can then leave the cab open to view like any normal car (or maybe put in the aforementioned "regular" windshield sun screen) and it doesn't scream "We're in here camping!" like a wrap-around curtain that includes the cab does.
1999 Concourse