Propane Tank Replacement on 1990

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
murph

Propane Tank Replacement on 1990

Post by murph »

Hi all, thinking of buying a 1990 Chinook Concourse. The propane tank has been removed due to substantial rusting. As was indicated in another post, the cheapest new replacement is over $400. I've been looking at salvaged rvs for a replacement. However, the ones I have found appear to be very large. What size tanks would fit on the Chinook? Is there enough room for a larger tank than the stock one?
Blue~Go

Re: Propane Tank Replacement on 1990

Post by Blue~Go »

Welcome to the forum, Murph!

I think maybe they are "van tanks." Reason I say that is because the valves are sort of tilted down (vs. sticking straight out to the side and having a special access door like a bigger RV usually has. I mention this because maybe you can look for van tanks (if you have not already). Like would be on a Class B or conversion camper van. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember mention of this (and indeed, on my era of Chinook, there is no propane "door" and the valves just angle down so you can reach them under the bottom of the body.

I hesitate to judge the available space based on my rig because 1990 would be the previous body style. Although an 18-19 gallon tank is already pretty big for this size rig, so I wouldn't be surprised if no larger one would fit.

I have also heard of van folks (who wanted a trimmer tank) going with one of the options from "Go Westy," who cater to VW Westfalia folks.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Re: Propane Tank Replacement on 1990

Post by Skillet »

Mine is an '02 and I don't have enough Chinook knowledge to give you a good answer. But, mine is an 18.9 gallon Manchester tank. You could take yours for an estimate at your local rv place. I stopped in one last week for some parts and asked the lady what it would cost to replace it. I had taken a picture of the label on the tank so she had something accurate to go by. She said she would get a price and let me know. Of course I haven't heard back so I'll give them until this weekend to bug 'em. Mine is getting rusty but still workable. I'm real curious tho for when the time comes. I'd rather start to budget now...
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...