My Chinook

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: My Chinook

Post by Manitou »

Do you happen to know which cargo box you have up there? I have some brackets up on mine from the previous owner, but no box. (I want to get one that will mount to those brackets)
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Manitou wrote:Do you happen to know which cargo box you have up there? I have some brackets up on mine from the previous owner, but no box. (I want to get one that will mount to those brackets)
The carrier is a Thule.

Mount:

Rear lock:

Inside (It's wet because I had just washed it out):
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

thanks. Definitely a different style of mount on yours, but the bolt holes might actually be in the same spot. I see if I can find a thule on craigs to go look at.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Looking good!

I see you have the seemingly-less-common style of mirrors. I have those too and when I first got my rig they would constantly "creep" back in as I went down the highway (i.e. as if you were going to fold the whole arm in). I contacted Velvac and found out how to tighten them - worked a charm. I will start a thread on it as soon as I take some photos to show it.

My passenger side "bumperette" is a bit bent... never thought about having it straightened, that's a good idea. Did you take it to a body shop, or?
1999 Concourse
1998chinook

Post by 1998chinook »

Blue~Go wrote:Looking good!
Thanks. Still a long way to go, but it is fun.
Blue~Go wrote:I see you have the seemingly-less-common style of mirrors. I have those too and when I first got my rig they would constantly "creep" back in as I went down the highway (i.e. as if you were going to fold the whole arm in). I contacted Velvac and found out how to tighten them - worked a charm. I will start a thread on it as soon as I take some photos to show it.
Yes indeed. I too had the same problem luckily I found an oddly placed allen wrench in the center console that just happen to fit the bolt in the mirror, but I really had to crank it down to keep it from the dreaded creep.
Blue~Go wrote:My passenger side "bumperette" is a bit bent... never thought about having it straightened, that's a good idea. Did you take it to a body shop, or?
Well, my wife "christened" the RV on a trip to Chicago a few weeks ago. My son was helping her back up and well, he didn't do such a good job helping. I took them both off and dropped them off at a local body shop. They have a "guy" there that does all their bumper work who has them. I have been told he was able to reshape them just fine but had to send them off for the nickle plating so he can rechrome them. I'll post pics once I get them back. It was less than 1/2 what a brand new set was going to cost.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Cool, thanks for the info. I looked at quite a few Chinooks before I bought mine, and most of them seemed to have a "Christened" bumperette on one side or the other :D
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

That's a good look for things :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Is that yours? I like roof basket and the surfboard.

How do you have the top of the surfboard attached? (Or if it's just attached at the base... how?)

I've eyed up that area above the "tire locker" quite a few times. Potential gear stowage!
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

1998chinook's Thule is the Chinook factory installed option. This is the factory installed option on my 2004.
Attachments
1rv6.jpg
1rv4.jpg
1rv2.jpg
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thanks, it's interesting to see the details. I guess the "left front" foot is shorter and is up on the top roof tier.

I can see where the extra space would be great, so in that way it's tempting. OTOH, I'd have to bring everything up and down the ladder, get past it to go elsewhere on the roof, it would shade solar panels, and also there is my sleek look to consider ;)

Anyway, it's good to see how they did it and always an option to add if I change my mind.

A question: Are you able to get stuff in and out of the box (plus open and close it) from standing on the ladder? That seems like it would be nice, as opposed to your having to make that transition (ladder to roof) with the gear.
1999 Concourse