Double pane glass on rear door? 2005 Concourse

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
vacuumbed

Double pane glass on rear door? 2005 Concourse

Post by vacuumbed »

After owning my 05 Concourse for a few months I noticed that the inner pane of my back door glass is missing, and I can see broken tempered glass along the edges in the inside of the door. I wonder if the previous owner broke it on purpose due to moisture between the panes. It seems to be fine with just one pane, but I have not seen it the way it is suppose to look. Should I bother trying to fix it?
2005 Concourse E350 Ford V10.
1990 Concourse E350 Ford. 7.3 IDI Diesel.
vacuumbed

Re: Double pane glass on rear door? 2005 Concourse

Post by vacuumbed »

Anyone have thoughts on this by chance?
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I can't say for sure if you want to fix it or not, but a few notes:

1) I have a friend with a cab-over style Class C that has windows around the cab-over part. He accidentally drove too close to large tree (well who would do it on purpose?) and one of the damages is that he cracked the outside pane of the overcab side window. Since it's a small window and he has it blocked off on the inside anyway (to keep bed area dark), he just carefully pulled all of the outer pane glass shards out, then made sure the window didn't leak (it didn't) and went on his way. So I could see something like that happening (likely not a tree since yours is on the inside), or the moisture issue you mention.

2) If the shards can't be completely removed or it just looks ugly, I could see replacing it. Actually, I've thought it would be nice to have an opening window (double hung type) in the door. Oftentimes I'd like to have some ventilation coming in the door but not have to have the whole door open/unlocked.

3) If you want to replace it, you might contact Motion Windows. They make all sorts of windows for boats, buses, etc. and can make completely new RV windows. They get great reviews.

4) if you are near or will be going to Florida, there is an outfit called Suncoast, that specializes in repairing double pane RV windows that have failed. You pull in and take a site (they have hookups etc.), they take your window out in the morning and replace it with cardboard, then in late afternoon they bring out the new/repaired window and install it and you go on your way. I forget the price, but it is (IMO) economical for what you get.

5) I'm all for DIY, but this isn't something I'd probably do myself (unless cleaning it up and leaving it single pane was the selected option). I only have single pane glass in the door, so it's not like it can't work. But I woudn't like shards or a "broken" look.
1999 Concourse
vacuumbed

Post by vacuumbed »

Great info, thank you!