Removing gas cabinet struts

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Skillet

Removing gas cabinet struts

Post by Skillet »

I can see to unlock them you pull up on each end cap as shown in this picture. But from there I don't know if you force it off or have to do something else. I'm assuming it's on a ball joint.
Attachments
20151117_160206.jpg
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Re: Removing gas cabinet struts

Post by Blue~Go »

I can't tell if yours are just the same as mine, but on mine there is a little metal band on one side of the "ball" part (that fits over the pin) and you put a flat-bladed screwdriver into that band and pry slightly. Not in an "I'm going to bend this" way, but rather in a "this is meant to be lifted to release it" way.

Even if you don't have the band, it's probably something similar. Some sort of "lift and release." The pin it sits on has a ball shaped thing on the end that the strut "grips."

At any rate, once you get it released (however they want that to happen), it just pulls off the pin. You do kind of have to angle/pull/wiggle it a bit. I always find myself saying "This isn't going to come off, ugh I hate these things, it's never gonna..... " and then suddenly it comes off easy peasy. :roll:
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Yep... what Blue-Go said. Mine are like yours. Replaced all of those worn out struts this summer. "Easy peasy". :P
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I'm going to order a bunch of new struts tonight so I'll attempt the removal tomorrow in the daylight. So looking at my picture of the end "popped up" do you think that takes the place of the band? I don't see anything else and both ends have this item. By the way, the battery/storage compartment on the driver side (Concourse at least), has anyone added struts? I have to use a bungee to hold the lid up when I pull the battery tray out.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Skillet wrote:I'm going to order a bunch of new struts tonight so I'll attempt the removal tomorrow in the daylight. So looking at my picture of the end "popped up" do you think that takes the place of the band? I don't see anything else and both ends have this item.
That'd be my theory. Maybe once you get the new ones you can see something from the way they are? (My new ones have the bands, but I don't suppose they are all the same.) The main thing is that they are "gripping" over a small metal ball (that's on the end of the part that stays on the cabinet) so somehow you have to get the strut to release the ball.
Skillet wrote:By the way, the battery/storage compartment on the driver side (Concourse at least), has anyone added struts? I have to use a bungee to hold the lid up when I pull the battery tray out.
Well I guess you are one of the poor people with the "newer" battery door compartment that has the hinge on top vs. the bottom like mine does.

Heh, just kidding, as neither arrangement is perfect. Mine obviously stays open (yay gravity), but on the other hand grit can get into the hinge, and if there are rocks sticking up from the ground the hatch can contact them (so I usually let it land on my foot).

Since the doors are just basically foam with a metal frame and light covering, I'd wonder if struts would stress them too much (not to mention how would you mount them - maybe not a problem but something to consider). I guess if I had an upward opening door, I'd consider mounting something like this above it - this is how I've seen other RV's do it.

Or, wait, what about using one of those white plastic pairs like holds up the generator door? I also have one of those stock on the "tire locker" door, which opens up (although I see later ones open down - heh, Chinook make up your mind :lol: ).

Other RV type baggage door catch. The way this one works is you mount it up near where the top of the door "lands" when its open, and then you "trap" the door with it. They also come in white, etc.

I can't immediately find a photo of the Chinook generator door type catch, but it's a little "groove" piece mounted on the body, and then a "tongue" piece mounted on the door, and they click together when the door is all the way up.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Yeah, I have those groove catch thingies on the generator door as well as the door behind the spare tire. I need to replace those too because they don't hold well. They're well worn from years of weather and UV exposure.
As far as the hinge on top, I get dirt and grit in there too. This past winter's ride from Texas to Virginia in the snow caused a lot of sand to be stuck in there. I can still hear it when I open that hatch...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Skillet wrote: As far as the hinge on top, I get dirt and grit in there too. This past winter's ride from Texas to Virginia in the snow caused a lot of sand to be stuck in there. I can still hear it when I open that hatch...
And here I thought it was only on the older-style bottom-hinge door. Well at least now I don't feel old and outdated in my grittiness :D

I've considered switching the flip-up doors to that chrome style latch I showed. A friend has those and they hold well. My white "tongue and groove" ones aren't worn out, but the "tire locker" door has still bopped me on the head a few times. I think because sometimes I don't slam it up there hard enough to engage. I think I'd rather just tuck it behind the other type of latch, rather than try to "slam" it into the groove.
1999 Concourse
kyidletime

Post by kyidletime »

Ok, now can anyone tell me where I can get these thingies that hold the doors up. I need to replace mine, I too have had too many bumps on the head from the doors coming loose. And I can tell you it don't feel good! :x
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
Upgraded Converter/Charger System.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

kyidletime wrote:Ok, now can anyone tell me where I can get these thingies that hold the doors up. I need to replace mine, I too have had too many bumps on the head from the doors coming loose. And I can tell you it don't feel good! :x
There are a few possible sources, but eBay seems to be a good one right now. Here is a thread that shows the original part numbers (well, at least in my '99) and one option for a different part number.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15&hilit=strut

If you search eBay for "Chinook strut" you will see them. In my rig, all the cabinets save the front/center one had 20# struts; the front/center one (larger door) had a 30# one. '
1999 Concourse
Billmiller

Post by Billmiller »

I got mine from Pacific RV Parts. T1005-03C. To save on freight and to have spares I ordered three.

http://www.prvparts.com/product-p/t1005-03c.htm