1977 Dodge Chinook: May Buy.

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
kdarling

Re: 1977 Dodge Chinook: May Buy.

Post by kdarling »

Yeah, the early Chinooks from 1971 up through 1991 had the flatter roof. (1992 brought the third top layer, with possibly a lowering of the rest of the roof for better aerodynamics.)

They seem pretty tall, too. Heck, the 1978-79 models even had a front window in the cab over part, and perhaps a kid could sleep up there.

Would love to know for sure, but it's quite possible that the flat ceiling ones had the same 6'4" headroom of the later ones.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

kdarling wrote:
They seem pretty tall, too. Heck, the 1978-79 models even had a front window in the cab over part, and perhaps a kid could sleep up there.

Would love to know for sure, but it's quite possible that the flat ceiling ones had the same 6'4" headroom of the later ones.
Good points. Another possibility is that the dodge cab roof was a bit lower than the Ford, so there was a bit more cabover height even without a higher roof. I've also heard that the cabover "bed" was basically only usable for kids. Mine on my 1999 Concourse has about 13-5/8" of height (cabover "floor" to cabover ceiling).

On the roof, my guess is the third tier was added to the overall height when roof air became more common, as as to make room for the controls without making a "head banger." Notice for example that the Dodge in this thread has no generator and no roof air-conditioner.

Always fun to get actual measurements though.
1999 Concourse
maybeachinook

Post by maybeachinook »

Thanks folks.

Even just scanning the linked threads is eye opening.
(below)

I'm familiar with repairs that beceom restorations but there's always
platform specific stuff that can be deal breakers.

We'll see. At very least I'll view it. Just have to get seller and my schedules
to jibe. I really like the layout and have read that the build quality was quite
good on these rigs but given height restraints at my rental garage
(residential type) don't want to get in over my head financially.

Neil.

"Vehicles this old really should only be owned by people who like to tinker and are able to do most repairs themselves or know someone who can for them already. ......Also check that all the coach floor is completely solid as well , the coach floor is fiberglassed directly into the side walls so it,s all one piece structure and not easy to repair if it,s rotted at all. "
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Couple of notes.

One is that if nothing else, you'll get an idea whether the form factor suits you. If it does, and if you don't like this particular rig, you'll know you can keep your eye out for another.

Two is that, just so you know, any floor rot would be about 99% likely to be from above (i.e. coming from inside the coach). Usually from a plumbing leak that went undetected or un-repaired (i.e. water sitting on top of floor), or from a leak coming in through the lower refrigerator outside vent on a propane refrigerator (if you could even call it a "leak," since it's more or less due to the design of the refrigerator lower vents). I've gone to a compressor refrigerator (not propane) and one of the "side thrills" was getting rid of that lower refrigerator vent.
1999 Concourse
maybeachinook

Post by maybeachinook »

Thanks Blue~go

Ya, similar thing for Vanagon Westy; stock insulation capturing rain water tends
to rust out the body. Appreciate the tips.

I posted a query about Chinook absorption fridge performance.

Gotta say I didn't realize just how relatively un-common these rigs are.
I've been searching CL (search tempest) and don't see a whole lot
pre 2001 rigs. (I'm located in Canada). This is not a diss to the Chinook platform,
just an observation. I've had lots of experience doing hacks upgrades what not
on my buses but along with NLA parts and what tend to restoration-repairs,
I'm a little leery of getting into another project on wheels. ;)

Will view this rig tomorrow. If possible, will take some pics.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

maybeachinook wrote: Gotta say I didn't realize just how relatively un-common these rigs are.
I've been searching CL (search tempest) and don't see a whole lot
pre 2001 rigs. (I'm located in Canada)..
Search tempest is good but can skip many areas. I supplement it by starting from large Craigslist base cities and the clicking on the "search nearby areas" box and ticking off all the optional locations.

One thing to watch out for are the fake ads with super low prices and big "text me" pictures. They're just collecting phone numbers to sell, or worse, looking to scam people. When a seller replies with with a sob story, I google the sentences and often get matches with older scams.

I think many people hang onto their Chinooks for years. The ones for sale are often because the owner died, or could no longer drive it.

Between January and June, the number for sale ... especially on eBay... seems to go up. At least that's how it feels to me. Also, sometimes I search on eBay for completed auctions, and find that incredible buy-it-now bargains were snapped up right away, and thus never showed up on my searches later that day!

PS. While you're taking pictures, be sure to measure the headroom so we'll know for sure what it is :)
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
maybeachinook

Post by maybeachinook »

Thanks kdarling

It seems it's been sold. Once I saw that the seller added more pics figured it would go sooner.
When I see an ad with only one pic I tend to assume it might be a scam.
Of course posting the ad link here might've helped? ;)

Oh well. I'll keep my eye open.

Neil.
maybeachinook

Post by maybeachinook »

maybeachinook wrote:....
It seems it's been sold. ....
eeeeeyup.
Oh well. :)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Next! :D

(At least I hope there is a next!)
1999 Concourse
maybeachinook

Post by maybeachinook »

I'm looking every day sometimes more.

I see one that hasn't moved yet and ad has been renewed.
A mid 70's Dodge 318 with older style front seats (no head restraints)
I'd assume that more modern Dodge seats could be swapped in
w/o any mods?
(bench shown in LH also has me concerned as does what looks like poorly
run CB coax routing. No dis to seller)