Chinook RV Forum

It is currently February 21st, 2018, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: December 7th, 2015, 3:54 pm 

The couches kind of look like replacement "futons"/frames that just happened to fit. Or maybe custom made? They don't look like the stock ones to me, although I'm no expert on Dodge 18+ rigs. That could be good or bad depending on how nicely done they are, and on your taste.

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: December 7th, 2015, 10:53 pm 

Dual bench models were much more commonly seen back then.

Looks like someone added the quilted wall, lamp, and probably recovered the seats. Or who knows, might be stock. The 70s were weird years for interiors of any home or vehicle :). Remember shag carpet, swag lamps, etc.

Here's a 1977:

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 141.02 KiB | Viewed 589 times ]

See: http://1977chinook.com/

Question: what's your targeted mission? Fishing/ hunting camper? Family? Single? Also, price range? And which end of Canada? We can help search.

Kev

PostPosted: December 8th, 2015, 12:27 am 

kdarling wrote:

See: http://1977chinook.com/

Question: what's your targeted mission? Fishing/ hunting camper? Family? Single? Also, price range? And which end of Canada? We can help search.

Kev

thanks for that link. Nice images.

West coast, flying solo. I'm considering full timing in an RV. If I did that, it'd likely be in a Chinook.
I'm finding more websites with Chinooks for sale.

edit: like this one though it looks like it's seen better days
(warning. First image is a video with some somewhat off colour language)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calg ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: December 8th, 2015, 10:32 am 

kdarling: That 1977 18+ you just posted couch photos of has always been one of my favorites. Nice clean vintage look to the whole interior. And I do now notice the little "wooden frames" on the couch so I guess they were stock that way in that vintage. I bet they were ten times more comfortable than the later, Flexsteel ones (not that that takes much!).

Here's a similar vintage (1978) with the club chairs. Looks like you (kdarling) probably already have all of these in your personal files but perhaps "maybea" hasn't seen them yet. Interesting how it changes the feel of things. I like the more open look of the club chair layout, but actually prefer the function of the center table that comes with two couches. That's because I like a big table accessible from the couch, vs. a table only being handy from the club chairs.

Attachment:
saloon aft.jpg
saloon aft.jpg [ 606.29 KiB | Viewed 578 times ]

One more in another '78

Attachment:
saloon fwd.jpg
saloon fwd.jpg [ 307.54 KiB | Viewed 578 times ]

There are more, but this gives the general idea. Now to find one in real life that you can actually buy!

PS: Are you considering any of the later/Ford versions? They are starting to come down in price as they age, although maybe they don't have the same vintage charm yet. (How soon until powder blue and mauve have vintage charm, btw? :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: December 9th, 2015, 1:42 pm 

Blue~Go wrote:

PS: Are you considering any of the later/Ford versions? They are starting to come down in price as they age, although maybe they don't have the same vintage charm yet. (How soon until powder blue and mauve have vintage charm, btw? :mrgreen: )

I'm keeping my options open but mainly due to USD and CND dollar difference, end up
spying earlier model year rigs. Edit: and, rigs that are at least 15 years old for ease of
import.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications ... .html#s3x1

Ultimately, a GM with 4 speed auto/350 would rock but am open to Ford or Dodge.
Basically, any small block, especially coupled to 4 speed auto, would be best for my needs.
I won't be towing anything. OTOH, it's all trade offs I guess. e.g. the 318 could get overworked
with weight of Chinook, gear etc.

Thanks

Neil.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 6:20 pm 

maybeachinook wrote:

I'm keeping my options open but mainly due to USD and CND dollar difference, end up
spying earlier model year rigs. [i]Edit: and, rigs that are at least 15 years old for ease of
import.

Neil, in case you haven't spotted it...

1978 in Medford Oregon.

https://medford.craigslist.org/rvs/5411981645.html

Kevin