Factory Equipment 1998

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Roger D

Factory Equipment 1998

Post by Roger D »

New to me '98' Concourse. I was wondering if LSD was standard. Also I see a capped male 120V plug under the hood that sure seems to be the hook up for a block heater. Was that a standard Chinook item?
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: Factory Equipment 1998

Post by Manitou »

Will need someone to confirm, but I believe so yes to both points. You have a V10?
Roger D

Post by Roger D »

Yes. Build date is Aug, '97'. For emissions testing Calif calls it a '97'. The registration calls it a '98'. I guess that would be an early V10.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Roger D wrote:New to me '98' Concourse. I was wondering if LSD was standard. Also I see a capped male 120V plug under the hood that sure seems to be the hook up for a block heater. Was that a standard Chinook item?
Welcome! We have similar rigs as mine is a '99 Concourse. Yes, 1997 (Ford 1997, that is) was the first year for the V-10. In later years, in the "other" model (Premier), I believe they made the V-8 (5.4) standard and you could upgrade to the V-10, but a '98 Concourse should have the V-10 for sure. Even if on a '97 chassis (common for an RV to have a "one year previous" chassis on a "next year" rig).

My '99 does not have a block heater or plug (grew up in the north so all too familiar with them), and I don't remember seeing them on the options list. So my guess would be that was an owner addition or maybe a customer request option.

Feel free to post any photos. We love photos!
1999 Concourse
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

hmm.. what year did they start coming standard then? I've read where several people didn't think they had one, only to find that it was concealed in lots of electrical tape somewhere.
Roger D

Post by Roger D »

The heater plug and cord is stuffed under some wires behind the battery. The plug caught my eye because I've had one on a Saab from northern climes. The RV is a Calif sourced rig as far as I can tell. Spent time in Oregon from the service history but the CA plates appear to date from the late 90's. Interesting paperwork that came with it. The coach had something removed and the dinette setup was installed by the factory in Yakima. The only bed is the fixed single on the driver's side. I'm assuming it was originally a double single bed layout from the factory.
Roger D

Post by Roger D »

I guess I'll have to crawl under the rear with a flashlight and see if there is an axle tag showing the ratio and whether it's a LSD.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Roger D wrote:I guess I'll have to crawl under the rear with a flashlight and see if there is an axle tag showing the ratio and whether it's a LSD.
Well, lookie what I found. The 1998 Concourse specification list shows the Limited Slip rear axle and the block heater on even the "basic" Concourse. I'll have to look in my '99 brochure and see if it is still listed (I have that, but only on paper and it's not immediately grabbable). So you have Limited Slip and I may have a block heater (if it's still on the '99 list) :)
LS axle.png
LS axle.png (126.46 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

I guess I need to check my 2004 Premier. BTW it has a V-10. I'll report back when I do.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10