Mirror Head Needs tightening

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
jlarry214

Mirror Head Needs tightening

Post by jlarry214 »

One of my side view mirrors has a head that vibrates out of position to the point that the electric adjustment won't compensate, I have to stop and move it back in place. I can see screws behind the mirror but can't see a way to get to them to tighten them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Re: Mirror Head Needs tightening

Post by Blue~Go »

Larry,

Since you have a '99, you might have either of two different models of Velvac mirror, as the changeover was in this time frame. I have an early '99, and I have the Velvac 2015 model; some have the Velvac 2020.

You can tell which is which if you look at the part that is attached to the door. In other words, when you fold the long arm in, there is a part just on the door side of that arm that doesn't move. On the 2015 this is a three-sided "cup" -- so you can fold the mirror back flat to the body but cannot fold it forward. On the 2020 it's a pivot point that allows folding either forward or back.

If you have the 2015 (U-shaped cup), then the thread I linked below will explain some (this is about the whole arm floating back toward the door while driving). If it's a different adjustment you need, it will still be helpful to know which model mirror you have. There are photos in the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50&hilit=velvac
Last edited by Blue~Go on April 8th, 2016, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 Concourse
jlarry214

Post by jlarry214 »

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure mine is the 2015, but will check to be sure in the morning,

Larry
autox

Post by autox »

FYI

I too was having the problem with the mirror head turning with wind and vibration at hwy speeds to the point it's unusable. I have the #2015 with the 3 sided arm cup on the door.I looked at the manual and it said there was no adjustment for the pivot of the head and it was set at the factory.
I called Velvac and the fellow wasn't very helpful saying that it's a factory set thing and it's probably worn out then tells me I'll just have to get a new set since they don't make those anymore!! The mirrors are perfectly fine except for that.
So what I did is unscrew the elbow at the end of the arm that the mirror sets on, 2 Phillips screws, and held the mirror as there is a wire that goes to the head. On the inside of the elbow there is two 5/16 hex heads that clamp down on a bracket the the pivot shaft goes behind, I tighten those and no more turning head. Cost $0.00
2000 Concourse,Late 99 build,1999 Ford Chassis
Northern Calif.