Chinook Vinyl Decals

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
kyidletime

Chinook Vinyl Decals

Post by kyidletime »

Does anyone know if, or more importantly where replacement "Chinook" lettering decals can be found. Mine on my 95 Concourse are badly faded, and I'm afraid can't be restored.
Attachments
Chinook c.JPG
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
Upgraded Converter/Charger System.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Chinook Vinyl Decals

Post by Scott »

Hi Alan,

I realize you were asking about the letters... but here's a bit of info:

I think your Concourse has clear coat over the graphics, correct? If that’s the case, and it’s just the clear coat that's pealing, this guy did a nice restoration: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=336&p=2513&hilit=clear+coat#p2505

If you want to completely re-do them, there are quite a few vinyl pros around these days who can do whatever you can dream up (and your wallet can support). Also, there are online tools that will allow you to design your own vinyl lettering. Example: https://doityourselflettering.com/create/

My Premier had dated vinyl graphics and no clear coat, so I used a rubber wheel (four actually) and a drill motor to erase them. Not the most pleasurable task, but it worked nicely on both the gelcoat and the painted cab. I have no idea how this approach would work on clear coat, however.

Scott
Last edited by Scott on May 5th, 2016, 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Premier
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

Hi kyidletime,
When I had my '01 Concourse painted (base coat/ clear coat) last fall, I replaced my "Chinook" graphic with decals made up by the body/paint department. I supplied them with vector-based artwork (Adobe Illustrator) of what I wanted. I updated the original Chinook logo somewhat, but it fits with the new stripe graphics I also designed (IMHO). You should be able to provide any local sign shop with artwork and they will fix you up with the right vinyl decal. Most have the capability to create the art as well. A "vehicle wrap" shop would also be a source and could provide the application. Good luck!
chinook1.JPG
chinook3.JPG
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
kyidletime

Post by kyidletime »

Scott & HoosierB,

Thanks for your responses. I have been reading up on different methods to upgrade or renew the graphics where the finish has faded and the clear coat over the graphics has deteriorated. I am leaning towards a method sealing the entire Chinook finish using the sealer which is used in the instructions that I have attached. Seems like others have been greatly satisfied with the results.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Alan
Attachments
RESTORING CHINNO FINISH.rtf
(9.09 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

This has already been alluded to in the above responses, but the Premier and the Concourse are two completely different beasts when it comes to the graphics. So any repair/upgrade/etc. would need to take that into account.

1) Premier
White background is a molded gelcoat. Graphics are vinyl applied "stickers." When these fail it's faded/cracked vinyl, which you can remove and then reapply new ones.

2) Concourse
White background is a molded gelcoat. Graphics are painted on (mine uses two GM paint colors, for which the code was put in the doorjamb area by Chinook), and then clearcoated over. When these fail, it's typically the clearcoat that has a problem (although eventually then the paint could too). Options for repair include possibly re-clearcoating, or completely re-painting, or something else. But not just "re-stickering."
1999 Concourse
kyidletime

Post by kyidletime »

Hi Blue,

Thanks for your information, I always know that I can count on some great insight from you. Did you happen to read the instruction attachment on my last posting? Do you have any gut feelings on the process, be it good, or bad?

Alan
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I just opened it and see that it's Red Max Pro. I have not used that, but have read threads about it because many folks with fiberglass camper trailers use it (used to have one of those). I think it's something akin to (or maybe is) an acrylic floor coating.

I'm not sure that would work over deteriorated paint/clearcoat, but that's mostly because on the camper trailers it's only oxidized gelcoat that is being worked with, not paint or clearcoat. I'm more familiar with oxidized gelcoat, as that's on a lot of boats. So is paint, but not with failing clearcoat in the same manner as cars (or Chinooks).

For me on oxidized gelcoat, I wetsand/compound/polish, but that's what I'm familiar with. I'm sure applying RedMax is easier though. But.... no experience (or even reading about) it on paint/clearcoat.
1999 Concourse
kyidletime

Post by kyidletime »

Thanks Blue,

I read a lot of comments from others that have used this method, and they had nothing but good remarks. I think that I'll do a section and see how that comes out. The worst place is on the front overhead, above the windshield, which is understandable. So that's probably the section that I'll do, it includes the "Chinook" lettering which I'll probably mask off and spray paint before applying the sealer. I'll take some pictures of the process.

Alan
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Really the only place on my Chinook that looks bad is above the windshield. The "Chinook" red lettering is in very poor condition. I am thinking about either just removing the lettering or trying to have some letters cut that resemble the originals.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
kyidletime

Post by kyidletime »

That's pretty much the same for me SMan. Blue said that the lettering on my Concourse should be painted on, so I think that I'm going to mask the letters off and spray paint them then sealing the whole area.
Alan Croy
Hamilton, Ohio
1995 Chinook Concourse