Spare Tire Mounting

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Blue~Go

Re: Spare Tire Mounting

Post by Blue~Go »

Glad the info is useful. I did a one-time test with the solid cover on. I knew I didn't want to keep it on though (just didn't like the look of it on the front) so it was more because I was curious if having no cover made a difference. What I did was head up a semi-mountain-pass on a very hot day (100ºF). IIRC I started with no cover on at all. I monitored water temps via the Scan Gauge. Halfway up I stopped and put the cover on. Then went the rest of the way (which if anything is a bit steeper). Didn't really notice any difference, but then again that was one moment/data point.

I have not removed my generator yet, but I plan to. I'm waiting to do it this winter when I have better access to tools and few fun summer things to do, etc. But before I decided to remove it (I wanted to use the rig a while to see), I looked into the best way to improve the sound level (lessen it). Once I had the refrigerator out I could see that the only "sound deadening" on the inside of the sheet metal box (meaning on the living space side) was a layer of carpet padding and shaggish carpet. Reading up on it that is very ineffective at sound deadening (like practically nil).

I spoke with one of the companies that makes/sells Dynamat type stuff (not that company though). They recommended a plan that involved a couple of different layers of sound deadener (each layer does a different thing). As a side bonus it would insulate a bit from heat too. My guess is that this would be much more effective than putting rubber feet under the generator. I base this on being on boats with engines that have rubber mounts (still LOUD), and also on being in my buddy's RV with the generator mounted similarly to ours (vibration not a huge issue, but LOUD is). One could theoretically put this same treatment on the generator side vs. the living space side but I had much easier access to the living space side, for one; and for two, not sure it would be good to reduce the volume of the generator box on the generator side.

Even without the generator there, I'll still do some sound deadening/insulation on the living space side. After all it's just a tin box to the outside. And any leftover material will find homes up in the cab, I imagine.
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

I have a 1969 El Camino and when I redid the interior I installed Peel and Seal throughout the cab prior to the new carpet which is used in construction and much cheaper than dynamat for insulating and sound deadening. It does a good job at noise reduction especially if you are on a budget. Many people in the car hobby use and recommend it.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Good tip. I'd love to pull out all the cabinets so I could do the whole floor and the sides of the generator box. Getting an estimate from my home contractor. Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10