Jack (lift)

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Skillet

Jack (lift)

Post by Skillet »

When I got my Concourse I noticed the original jack was missing. What size/type do you carry and do you use something different (or larger) at home? I'm looking for a brand to purchase so I have something while on the road or at home.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
SMan

Re: Jack (lift)

Post by SMan »

I bought our Chinook from my cousin who was the original owner. They never had a jack with it. I put a 5 ton bottle jack in the rear compartment but have never used it. I have a floor jack at home.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I have the original screw jack and use it fairly often (I dislike tire shops working on my rig so bring my tires in - bit of a quirk). It's fine and has a loooong handle, which is nice. You can position it and work it from beside the rig, not under it. It also has a little cradle on top that fits well (as you'd expect since it's the OEM Ford jack).

A friend with an E-450 was missing his stock jack and got a US Jack brand model D-5123 5-ton hydraulic bottle jack. It works pretty well (easier to lift rear with it over the stock jack). It doesn't have the little cradle and could use one or two more handle extensions (it has two) (in order to not be under the rig while jacking). Overall seems like a good jack though (was recommended on some van camper forums).
1999 Concourse
robtbritn

Post by robtbritn »

Blue~Go wrote:I have the original screw jack and use it fairly often (I dislike tire shops working on my rig so bring my tires in - bit of a quirk). It's fine and has a loooong handle, which is nice. You can position it and work it from beside the rig, not under it. It also has a little cradle on top that fits well (as you'd expect since it's the OEM Ford jack).

A friend with an E-450 was missing his stock jack and got a US Jack brand model D-5123 5-ton hydraulic bottle jack. It works pretty well (easier to lift rear with it over the stock jack). It doesn't have the little cradle and could use one or two more handle extensions (it has two) (in order to not be under the rig while jacking). Overall seems like a good jack though (was recommended on some van camper forums).
Your thoughts on bringing the tires in are justified. With my Bluebird motorhome, I have had them gouge the paint with the jack handle, scuff the wheels with the impact gun, and over torque the wheels.
Robert Britton
2005 Glacier 4x4
Hollister, California
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I also carry a hydro bottle jack, which is nice and compact; it's a no-name 5 ton.. I use a chunk of quarter inch aluminum and a square chunk of 2x4 to go between the jack's ram and the rig's jacking points. The Ford style cradle would be preferable, though. Standard Harbor Freight floor jack at home and beefy jack stands. I also take my tires in, for reasons already mentioned, but also so I don't have to burden a friend for a ride back and forth to the tire shop. As with anything hydraulic, the best way to make sure it lasts is to use it regularly :P .
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Here I thought I'd get eye-rolls for bringing my own rims/tires in. Guess not!

I started by just removing the simulators. But it was still stressful bringing the Chinook in, I'd have to make a big deal about it to get the recommended lug torque (good luck removing them later when the gorillas torque them to infinity ft. lbs.), I'd have to check the pressure later anyway, they'd just as likely hit the roof when lifting it, etc. etc. Oh and when I replaced an extended stem I did that myself too as they had messed up a friend's. Geez, I felt like I was doing half the work, and it was always a pile of stress.

This past winter I did them one or two at a time, removing them myself and then driving them to the tire shop in the back of a station wagon. What a relief! It was actually easier, much less stress, and it never hurts to keep up on the tire-changing process. I'm also in the process of eliminating the simulators (I'll hang onto them, just in case, but am not going to run them). To that end I've got the two front wheels painted (silver) and the rears are next on my list. I much prefer the look to the simulators (which weren't fooling anyone) and it's one less thing to hassle with (plus I can actually check my lug nuts).

Anyway, it was a nice surprise to find out I'm not the only "nut" :D
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

I'm lucky to have a tire guy I have dealt with for 35 years and has put tires on about everything I own including bikes, trailers, motorhomes, trucks, and cars. He has also become a good friend over those years and always treats me very fairly. Unfortunately (for me) he'll be retiring within the next few years. Enjoying good service while I can.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10