Chinook RV Forum

It is currently February 25th, 2018, 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 3:11 am 

Where does it go ? I run my ac for hours and never see any water under the rv.

background-color: #C1CAD2

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 11:52 am 

Not sure which air-conditoning you are referring to, so will mention both.

1) Ford dashboard air conditioning.
This normally does drip condensation under the cab - sort of under the passenger dashboard/firewall area.

2) Chinook roof air conditioning.
I never ran mine, but upon removing it it looked like it just drains on the roof and then runs off the side. But it looked like it probably mostly spread out and dried on the (hot in the sun of course) roof before ever making it to the side, so that may be why you don't see it running down the window or etc. (Although I never ran the coach AC, the previous owner clearly did, and I could see the condensate evidence on the roof when I was up there removing it.)

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 12:00 pm 

Out of curiosity, why did you remove the AC?

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 2:35 pm 

On most roof units, the condensation runs out from openings on both sides, about ten inches from the front.

Last year the drip from the left side of my unit (I was slightly down on the left), across the left roof, and down the middle of the big left side window, was driving me nuts. I even thought about creating some kind of channel to the rear.

This summer I don't see anything. Perhaps I am parked more level and it's gong both ways and evaporating like Blue suggested?

My neighbor's unit on his RV was leaking inside his unit instead of outside, because the front 1/2" high water guide dam inside the case was broken. We had to make a new inside channel wall to guide the water out the sides. We used some plastic posterboard and caulk. Works fine now.

Just to be sure, you can remove the cover and the inside front case, and you'll see a big opening for the inside air, and also can check on the water channels to make sure that they're okay and clear.

Last edited by kdarling on July 21st, 2016, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 3:20 pm 

Tojo2go wrote:
Out of curiosity, why did you remove the AC?

Hi Tojo,

Combination of a few reasons.

1) I basically never use it. I tend to boondock, and if I were someplace hot enough to want the AC, that means I'd have to listen to both the AC AND the generator. I would hate that, and also don't like others to have to listen to the generator.

2) It was 110# sitting smack dab on the highest point of a vehicle (ugh).

3) I like how the rig looks sleeker without it.

4) I LOVE having a skylight there (one could also put in a roof vent as the AC opening is the standard ~14" square opening that is used for RV roof vents). When I lie in bed at night the stars are now right overhead :)

5) It's completely reversible - can just be put back in as-was.

Having said that, after just over two years without it, I can't see putting it back in during my ownership. Maybe I'll change my mind, but so far it's 100% great. I've had zero days/nights where I would have wanted to run the AC and generator while boondocking, and maybe a handful where I might have chosen to go somewhere and plug in to run the AC. That's not enough to outweigh the advantages, to me.

Now, what if I did want/need to go to Florida or someplace else hot and humid? Possibly I might stay in a lodging, but if I wanted to camp it would no doubt be someplace with hookups. At that point I'd likely either get a freestanding AC and put it between the driver and passenger seats, or a cheap window AC and mount it the passenger side cab window. It would be just for that specific time.

I don't tend to camp anyplace humid and hot, but I have spent some time in AZ when it was quite hot (100ºF) (had to stay for appointment, etc.). But with windows, fans, and a cool towel, all was fine.

Anyway, not for everyone of course. But then I guess roof AC isn't for everyone either. I have my Concourse set up for how I tend to use it (boondocking).

BG

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 5:35 pm 

I dont see myself going on the roof to check the situation, but I will go up a side ladder and try to see if some water is exiting the unit. My fear :o is that it is going somewhere in the rv although I see no trace of water inside..
We have a scorching summer here in Europe and I am glad I have the ac up there as the windows dont open much and even with the fantastic fan it gets too hot in that rv..no breeze reaches me when I am sleeping . In campsites I plug in, and when boondocking I stay far away from others so nobody can hear the obnoxious genny.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2016, 8:15 pm 

That is one downside to the "swoopy" Concourse windows - they don't open too far. That said, there is something you might check that ended up gaining me around 4" of opening on the couch side. If you look up into the underside of the upper window track (above the couch) there is a little "bumper" screwed into the track that is a stop to keep the window from opening far enough to get metal to metal at the bottom (no huge big deal, but would scratch over time). Well, mine was placed much too far aft, thus unnecessarily restricting the window opening distance.

The one on the table side was also a bit further back than necessary, but only by a wee bit. Anyway, something to check.

Another thing that really helps, for me at night is a marine type fan (I use a Hella Turbo) mounted under the overhead cabinet at the foot of my bed. Aimed right on me, it's amazing how cooling it is (and only draws 2/10 of an amp).

I do agree on preferring an open window right by my head/torso at night. I'm thinking of moving the bed to the other side for that reason (plus, if just parking for the night, the rig often slants to the passenger side, so a bit of a bonus).

A lot does depend on climate. I'm lucky to mostly travel in agreeable ones.

It's nice that you are considerate with your generator. Thank you!

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2016, 12:36 am 

I will check those bumper stops
Thanks for the info on those marine fans, they seem much better than those flimsy fans sold in most stores.
I am still looking for the best way to have 2 separate beds in my club lounge..model, looking forward to have a open window over me when I sleep.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2016, 12:26 pm 

After runing the ac for a few hours on a slight incline, a trickle of water made its way down the passenger window...I am relieved !!

PostPosted: July 28th, 2016, 3:45 pm 

Oh good! Nice to know you're not going to someday find a giant, throbbing blister full of all the condensate that has ever left the air conditioner :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen: