Window screen removal / replace

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Concourse

Re: Window screen removal / replace

Post by Concourse »

Also, has anyone called the dealer who bought out all of the old Chinook parts stock after the factory closed?

http://www.aubreysrv.com/western-rv-parts-page/

Back when they only had a spreadsheet list published there was this which, while I doubt has anything to do with screen support clips, is still interesting.
Attachments
0-chinook111.jpg
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Concourse wrote:
Since they're no longer available, has anyone tried calling Hehr to see if they might have a box of leftover extrusions or pre-cut screen support clips in a back room somewhere?
If these were Hehr windows, I'd be in seventh heaven because Hehr is still in business and parts are everywhere. But no such luck. These windows were made by SE-GI who have gone out of business. Likely it's some other year or model of Chinook that has Hehr windows.

Nothing in a search of Aubrey's page comes up for "screen," "clip," or "se gi." I can't remember whether or not I called them last year, but I'll try again just in case.

I'm convinced that someone, somewhere has a stock of these clips. I just haven't been able to find them yet. Only been looking 2-1/2 years though :)

Edited to add: Okay, called Aubrey's and talked to a long time parts person there. Not only do they not have the SE-GI screen clips, but she said that some years ago (when SE-GI was still in business) she called them numerous times trying to get an order of the clips filled so they would have them on hand. No luck, they didn't return calls, never sent the clips, etc. (gee, wonder why they went out of business...).

At any rate, she knew just what I was talking about, and how useless the screens are without the */#* clips!
1999 Concourse
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

".....I see a 3D printer in your future...."
swami2a.jpg
swami2a.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

:mrgreen: If only that were in my skillset!
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Concourse St Tropez wrote:Thanks RetiredTim
Now I'm waiting for blue to test it on his rv & I'll go from there 8-)
8-) 8-)
1999 Concourse
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

I keep seeing comments that SE-GI glass is out of business. Perhaps they are now, but they weren't as of last October, when I contacted them in an effort to locate a coach window to replace one that was shattered by a rock. The man I spoke with knew all about the Chinook trapezoidal-shaped windows like in my Concourse and said they could definitely make a window for me. Unfortunately, I wanted reflective glass - which they no longer make. :cry: Fortunately, I was able to locate a matching window at Aubrey's. :D

SE-GI is located in California. Here's the website: http://www.se-gi.com/ Maybe they can help.
2001 Concourse 4x4
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Thanks for that VTSweetPea. When I was scouring the web two years ago, the information I found said they were out of business (there was a lot of discussion not due to our screen clips, but because of their dual-pane windows and fogging/"snake" issues with them - which btw was not exclusive to SE-GI windows). I think I tried to access their website and/or call them then but wasn't able to make contact for some reason. (It's been two years so I can't remember exact details.)

At any rate, I will try to contact them again and see if they have any of the clips available. I'm sorry I said they were out of business if that was not accurate. Thanks for posting.
1999 Concourse
retiredtim

Post by retiredtim »

If you don't like the tubing idea, you can purchase pool liner overlap clips from any pool store or ebay. A little more costly but they will do the trick.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

It's not that I don't like the hose idea; more I couldn't visualize it (until you posted the photo) and then I had a couple of questions, since you had already done it.

I looked at the pool liner overlap clips in Google images. I can't quite visualize how those would work either (are you sensing a pattern here? Maybe I'm not the best at visualizing), but I could always order some and try (that is, unless St. Tropez already has :twisted: :mrgreen: )

Thanks for your suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of either of them on my own. Wish my passenger side window could be open right now! (But I have the screen in storage because there was never a place to PUT it without it getting wrecked, and it wouldn't stay in the window.)
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I have an update to the screen clip saga (as review, these are the clips used to hold the screens in to circa 1997-1999 Concourse windows (maybe earlier than 1997 as well?). The style is such that the screen just falls out without the clips (screen does not ride enclosed in its own track like on other windows.

Actually, since this thread wasn't started about these clips, I think I will start a new thread, in case future readers might find it more easily. I'll come back and link to it here.

Purpose-started thread on the screen clips:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=479
1999 Concourse