Ok chinook, start making already

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Manitou
Site Admin

Ok chinook, start making already

Post by Manitou »

Should any person with a connection to those that own the rights to make them read this.

You can start making the fiberglass shell on the ford transit van any day now! I want a new rig.
Blue~Go

Re: Ok chinook, start making already

Post by Blue~Go »

Wouldn't that be nice!

I've taken a couple of test drives in a Transit van and I was pleased. Thought about switching for a straight camper van (non cutaway) but like the extra room in the Chinook.

I've started seeing other Class C's built with Transit cutaways.

I think the challenge for a number of builders will be to lighten up their product (which was able to be built fairly old-school heavy on the E-350/E-450 chassis) to fit the Transit cutaway. This isn't so hard (to make a decent but modest weight reduction) as materials and processes have come a long way. But many RV makers haven't "had" to change, given how burdensome the E-chassis were. They just kept using 3/4" plywood (or even MDF or particle board), etc. etc. Boats have been using newer stronger/lighter methods for awhile now, and I think Chinook was headed in the right direction when they stopped making them in 2005 or so. They had already begun to use foam cores, etc. Progressive for their day and industry. So it's a natural!
1999 Concourse