fresh water tank

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
kerriscorgi

fresh water tank

Post by kerriscorgi »

We leave this weekend and will have no hook ups, but the temperature will drop at night in the 40s. Will my fresh water tank freeze? We have (new to us) 1997 Premier
Thanks for your help with my question
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: fresh water tank

Post by Manitou »

Freshwater freezes at 32 degrees. Water in the insulated RV will withstand a bit lower. So, unless I'm missing something.. You'll be fine.
kerriscorgi

Post by kerriscorgi »

Thank you
Kerri
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I agree with Manitou. It's impossible for water to freeze with lows in the 40's since it doesn't freeze until 32º F.

If colder, then you'd be slightly more vulnerable if you have a side-entry Chinook. On the side entry Chinook (Concourse/Premier) the water tank is underneath (outside) instead of under the couch like on the rear entry versions.

Even so you'd likely be fine down into the high 20's (since that's usually only for a couple of hours near morning). But I don't know exactly how the plumbing runs on those coaches (I have a rear entry). On a previous camper van I had a water fitting freeze and break on a night with a 28º low temp. Reason is that the design made it so one of the valves sat at an angle such that a little bit of water was isolated there. Hence that "lonely" little bit of water froze and broke the fitting (I replaced it). Water tanks are very unlikely to freeze due to the mass/volume of water.

On a rear entry the two most vulnerable places (while coach is in use) are probably the outside shower (plumbing leading to it) and behind the toilet (i.e. behind the shower wall). These are more isolated places with small amounts of water in them. You can drain the outside shower (if you have one) and if you have hookups you can aim a space heater into the bathroom (which will help keep the plumbing outboard of the wall warmer).

For more prolonged periods of cold(er) temps one can drain and winterize the plumbing and then use handheld jugs/etc.

Lows in the 40's --- none of this will apply as that is way above freezing.
1999 Concourse
A Rooney

Post by A Rooney »

Just a side note on the side entry water tank,although later side entry model concourse/premier sported dinettes which necessitated moving the fresh water tank to an alternative location more vulnerable to freezing.I have personally toured the rig of a 1995 side entry that had a couch instead of a dinette and that particular rig had the freshwater where it is on rear entry models i.e. Under the couch.....just a small piece of chinook trivia..rooney
deb

Post by deb »

Hello....oh boy I am challenged in almost everything I attempt to do. No confidence is the main stumbling block.

Today's project was/is to drain the fresh water tank, flush and refill.

I have the 2003 Concourse schematic that shows the water drain petcock. After fiddling around with that for awhile with no results, I actually went and read about the fresh water system on page 17 of the manual which mentions two additional petcocks for the hot and cold water line. In studying the shematic and looking at the other end of the water tank I notice two black knobs (not petcocks in my understanding of the term) on two different waterlines. I turned one slightly and could hear water flow but at the risk of doing something that I couldn't undo I raced for my laptop.....and, here I am....hat in hand once again.

Recovering from surgery and anxious to do something I thought this might be a simple enough task for today.

Hoping to hear that it is and that I can proceed.

Hope you are all enjoying safe and happy travels.

Best,
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
deb

Post by deb »

That was kind of a whiny post. Sorry bout that...lol. :oops:
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Yep, the water drain valve next to the pump at the rear of the water tank is a slooooow drainer that dribbles somewhere over the rear spring. To speed things up I open the two front valves as well, turning a pair of black levers 90 degrees, then leave it overnight. These drain forward of the rear tire.

If you’re impatient then you can turn the pump on to expedite the process. However, don’t run the pump dry too long. You will hear a change in pitch once it starts sucking air. Even then there’s always an 1” or less remaining, at least in my tank.

Confidence builds with doing and learning along the way. We’ve all been down this path and your positive attitude goes a long way. Cheers, TC
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I've never drained my Chinook water tank (but I know about the petcocks and agree with Rokrover Ted on them). But on my previous camper van with similar system, yeah, the pace was glacial unless I turned on the water pump. As noted, you will hear it change tone when it runs dry (or low), and then just shut off the pump part of the operation.

No worries on the whiny. It's hard not to feel a bit peeved when you choose what should be a simple task and then even that doesn't go as planned. Hmmphhh!
1999 Concourse
deb

Post by deb »

Thanks you guys.

Yes, the black knobs would more accurately be described as levers.

I will attempt process again tomorrow.
deb
2003 Chinook concourse
Montana