My/Chinook/my many trials and tribulations/as I learn!,

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Browndog

My/Chinook/my many trials and tribulations/as I learn!,

Post by Browndog »

Ok in my introductory thread I said how I came to own her, now I'm trying to learn the systems. Generator/electrical, water/tanks, heat/cooling.

First the toilet-valve wouldn't open or flush, my cousin said to turn on the water pump and it will flush, yeah he is a genius, it works.

Then the generator wouldn't start, we worked on it a while and realized the house batteries were no good so we replaced them with some good AGM 31 deep cycle. The generator would turn over great but still wouldn't start. He's a truck driver and had to leave for a trip so we gave up for the day, that was last Sunday.

During this last week I started watching you-tube videos on Onan generators and carburetor problems in general. I didn't feel comfortable working on the carb so I called the local Camping World. He told me I could get an appointment in "6 weeks" November 30th to be exact, I went ahead and made the appointment thinking, well if I don't have it running by then I'll take it in! He also told me they do not work on carberators because of the EPA, they would probably just have to replace it, $300 for the carb and $200 labor. Whew, I thought let's get back to you-tube!

My son and I went to the auto parts store, bought some carb cleaner and a hose to connect to the drain on the carb. Came home, took off the air cleaner, disconnected the fuel line, sprayed carb cleaner into the carb and drained a couple of times. Then sprayed a dash of starting fluid and bam it started and ran 15 seconds or so on the carb cleaner I think. Quickly hooked everything back up and bam she started right up and runs like a champ!

So I go about starting up the air conditioner (80 deg in Vegas today) awe cool air and the sound of the generator humming, the awesome feel of success! 8-)
Browndog

Re: My/Chinook/my many trials and tribulations/as I learn!,

Post by Browndog »

So here I am chilling in the AC, so I call my genius cousin and tell him I want to learn the fridge and the hot water system. I say"I think there are some isolation valves that need to be opened?" He says "NO, just turn on pump, run cold water to burp the line then do the same with the hot water" then turn on the switch and in a few minutes you will have hot water. Well he new what he was talking about on the battery's, the generator and the toilet, what could go wrong?

So I do as he says, I go outside and sure enough there is heat coming out of the water heater grill on the side of the motor home, the burner is light it must be working! So I go inside and sit back enjoying the hum of the generator the blowing of the cold air and call my genius cousin to catch him up with the great progress of the day. So as we are ucking it up on how smart we are, I look down and there is an inch of water on the floor arrggghhhh! Shut off the pump he says, I do and then start looking around, under the couch where the awning sticks are I see what is left of a valve spewing steam out of where the handle used to be arrgghhh! Obviously there are valves that need to be turned on!

I make sure no more water is running then go for my shop-vac, after an hour of vacuuming water, shop-vac half full, I decide leaving the doors, windows open to dry out is the plan.

So now I'm on the internet trying to find a you-tube on plumbing repair and the proper way to run a Chinook water heater, I'm not sure if it did what it did because of no water? Or if some safety failed.
ha ha lol what a day....at least I'm not waiting for November to pay $500 to get my generator carb replaced, all in all I guess it wasn't a bad day, it was a learning day. lol this Rving is a lot like work!
nautracer

Post by nautracer »

that's what I tell people... it's plain WORK.....but if you love your job. Motor homes are twice the work. My last one hardly worked EVER.... you can't start with a hunk of junk, if you want to go on the road. I think the average mechanical person should start with a trailer.... and then see if they are ready for the big leagues.....myself.... it's my turn at bat...the Chinook looks like a good bet for what we want to do.... cross country on a budget. retiring soon. good luck....
Browndog

Post by Browndog »

Ok, got a new 3 way valve installed and valved the water heater in. Water is flowing and I don't see any leaks. I'm afraid to turn on the water heater for fear of what just happened.

Any suggestions on what to do now to check for proper water heater operation, so I'm comfortable I'm not creating another pressure vessel?

I'm also wondering now that I have water in the water heater how to drain said water heater? :shock:
Edit found a you-tube on this one! :lol: draining is pretty easy, I am still worried about proper operation.
dougm

Post by dougm »

I purchased a new carb from my local onan dealer brand new and it was 175 bucks. I wouldnt purchase anything from camping world, they mark everything up.