Looking for tire installer recommendation in HOUSTON

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Looking for tire installer recommendation in HOUSTON

Post by Chinookers »

I'm ordering a set of Tireman extended tire valves and am looking for a recommendation on where to get them installed in Houston, TX (ideally in the Humble / Kingwood area).

We are on the road and will be in the Houston area for several weeks. Looking to install Tireman units after a regular valve extender failed on me while in Yuma.

Appreciate any recommendations and/or comments on places to avoid.

Many thanks
Andrew
Blue~Go

Re: Looking for tire installer recommendation in HOUSTON

Post by Blue~Go »

I can't speak to Houston, but (and you likely already know this) there are printable instructions on Tireman's website. I had my extended stems put on by Tireman himself, so no issues. BUT, a friend had them put on at Discount Tire, and they bungled it and he had to go back (ugh).

When I got two new front rims, I decided to get two new front Tireman stems (now I have one on the spare as well, plus this way I could get the new rims/tires all ready to put on without breaking camp and taking rig to tire shop). I read the directions, called him for a bit of clarification, and then put the stems on myself, then took the rims in to Discount Tire. I realize you won't be doing that while you're on the road (and no reason you should have to), but that's just to say it's easy to install them, but there are certain steps to take, and it's apparently easy for them to not bother following the instructions (as in my buddy's case). Well, too, he's the type to bring the rig in, then basically ignore them until it's ready to pay and take away. One SHOULD be able to do that, but.... sometimes it's better to keep an eye on things (pleasantly).

I think you'll like the stems - I know I do! One thing to watch: If you are running the simulator type hubcaps, there is a bit of "wiggle room" when you install them (in other words they can be shifted slightly clockwise/counter-clockwise on the lugs). One time a place put mine back on and wasn't careful, and the simulator was "sawing" on the stem. Luckily I caught it almost right away and re-adjusted it.

Checking and adding air to the tires is a pleasure once you have these stems!
1999 Concourse
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Chinookers »

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I was advised by Tireman to be careful who I go to for the install. I asked for recommendations here and on IRV2. Someone there (IRV2) suggested Beasley just south of Humble on 59. I plan on visiting them with instruction sheet in hand to make sure they really can handle the job.

One of my old flexible extenders broke wile I was in Yuma which is why I'm looking to get the Tireman units installed now. Wish I had done it sooner, when I was back in CA.

This particular trip has been plagued with problems. Apart from the extender problem, when Good Sam fixed the related flat in Yuma they didn't reinstall the simulator properly (I should have double checked) so we lost that somewhere along the road. My Trojan house batteries developed bad cells and I had to replace them (this time with AGMs). The flue grill on the water heater door disappeared. The coffee maker carafe dropped on the floor and broke. And then a couple of days ago while driving in heavy traffic a big truck veered into me far enough that his wing mirror struck my driver side window which exploded and showered me with glass. Got it fixed yesterday just in time before heavy rains started. Ugh. What next?

SMan

Post by SMan »

Well that was a terrible string of events! :o Here's to happier travels!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Wow, the mirror breaking your window but (presumably) not damaging your rig's body.... what are the odds? That must have been a shock.

Given that you've already covered "massive oak falling on rig and trapping us inside" (last year), I think you're good to go now.

Back on the subject of the Tireman stems, I have "air through" caps on them for even more ease. I think he might include those, but I can't remember as I already had them on my original setup.
1999 Concourse