Electric step, disassemble & reassemble (anyone done this)

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
HereComesTrouble

Electric step, disassemble & reassemble (anyone done this)

Post by HereComesTrouble »

Took the RV out for a spin, the first time in months due to health related problems. I parked in a grocery store lot and when I came out, I was told that someone towing a bobcat on a trailer may have scratched my bumper or the rear step. Of course the driver didn't wait around and was nowhere to be seen. Upon close inspection, it looked as though he just barely scraped the step. However, it was enough to put a bend in the step framework. We managed to get the step out but now it won't retract all the way.

I now want to remove the entire step assembly and straighten it. The top step is made up of the drive layer bolted up under the top step. Loosening the four bolts that hold the drive layer up under the top step, will not allow removal because the drive section will not drop down far enough to clear the studs before hanging on the collar around the receiver. It appears that you should be able to remove only the movable portion of the steps without removing the actual top step or the side plates that support the entire assembly to the split bumpers and the bumper mounts.

If anyone has been down this road before, please jump in with any suggestions on the procedure or sequence required. They will be greatly appreciated. :?: :?: :?: TIA