introductions

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
thurl

introductions

Post by thurl »

Hello fellow Chinookers,

My husband and I bought a 1999 Chinook last year with 88k miles on it. We love it and it has been on several trips wince we purchased her. The longest of those being a trip around the Gaspe Peninsula towing our friends popup trailer. I love the forum and the information i am finding here is great.

There were a few modifications that we did when we first got it. LED lights in the coach and outside lights as well. Other than that there were not modifications done. We did however have quite a bit of mechanical work done. The two big ones were a replacing an intake gasket and the other being replacing all the ignition coils. Both of those did take a huge chunk out of the wallet.

This year we are looking to upgrade our electrical system. I think this is the order we will do them in, but after more research we might change the order.

1. Replace the existing converter. More than likely we will use the Progressive Dynamics for ease of instillation. Although we would take any suggestions.

2. Battery bank upgrade. Sadly I am not able to take a look at the batteries because of the recent blizzard and I cannot back the camper out of the driveway. Not sure of the condition of the batteries. Really not sure on the type of battery to get. I know much has to do with how we use the camper and our power needs. And as one researches more, the more confusing things become. I think we we're torn between 6v deep cycle and AGM. But I think I need to do more reading to figure what will work best for us.

3. Solar panels and solar charge controller. I know that I would like to replace the original panel with 2 100 W panels. With that I will need to replace the original charge controller. Frankly I am stumped when it comes to this. There seem to be two camps of thought about which is best, MPPT or PWM. This I definitely need to research this subject more thoroughly. There is also the question of moving the controller. From what I can gleam from reading, it is better to have it closer to the batteries. If that is indeed the case, where would be the best to place it.

We will probably need new tires and will want to have the alignment checked.
lwQ0i%f1RGeeUf8hu%fvcw_thumb_4fdf.jpg
lwQ0i%f1RGeeUf8hu%fvcw_thumb_4fdf.jpg
Any and all suggestions would be most welcomed.

peace

thurl
Attachments
carlton sur mer 2.jpeg
Jim and Thurl
1999 Concourse
SMan

Re: introductions

Post by SMan »

Welcome Jim and Thurl,

Nice looking Chinook. Sounds like you have a plan going forward. There is lots of good info and members here. Hope you stick around awhile!

Steve
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: introductions

Post by Scott »

Welcome aboard!
thurl wrote: 1. Replace the existing converter. More than likely we will use the Progressive Dynamics for ease of instillation. Although we would take any suggestions.
Those are popular because they're plug/play. You can get units which are as good or better for less moolah. But I don't use a charger, so I should probably just mind my own business. Converters are available in a million different styles and outputs, so what really matters is what you need it for.
thurl wrote:2. Battery bank upgrade. Sadly I am not able to take a look at the batteries because of the recent blizzard and I cannot back the camper out of the driveway. Not sure of the condition of the batteries. Really not sure on the type of battery to get. I know much has to do with how we use the camper and our power needs. And as one researches more, the more confusing things become. I think we we're torn between 6v deep cycle and AGM. But I think I need to do more reading to figure what will work best for us.
If you're not sure of the condition of the batteries, then it could be likely that they're not "good." Not to be a naysayer, but if the seller had replaced them recently, they would have probably mentioned it with fair enthusiasm. It's a choice item to buy new if you intend to rely on them. A gross oversimplification would be ... AGMs are generally better, 6V flooded are cheaper for what you get. AGMs and 6V flooded golf batteries both have their pros/cons. I love my 6V golf batteries, but they won't drop into a stock Chinook as far as I know. There's also 6V AGMs
thurl wrote:3. Solar panels and solar charge controller. I know that I would like to replace the original panel with 2 100 W panels. With that I will need to replace the original charge controller. Frankly I am stumped when it comes to this. There seem to be two camps of thought about which is best, MPPT or PWM. This I definitely need to research this subject more thoroughly. There is also the question of moving the controller. From what I can gleam from reading, it is better to have it closer to the batteries. If that is indeed the case, where would be the best to place it.
Well it's not really two camps per se between PWM and MPPT. MPPT is more efficient, and you can wire your panels in series, which can be beneficial. But PWM controllers are cheaper, although perfectly adequate IMO. The best place for the controller is as close to the battery bank as practical, and out of the elements.

Great to have you. This is a great group and an outstanding source of information.
I love seeing RV's towing travel trailers! Cracks me up.
1994 Premier