New to Chinook

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
kdarling

Re: New to Chinook

Post by kdarling »

Blue~Go wrote:Just keep thinking of how (much more) fun it's going to be to drive when you're done!
Well, I couldn't get the rear shocks off. Even tried a dremel and grinder on the top nut. Angle and space weren't right. So I'm gonna go get a nut splitter.

OTOH, the new front anti-sway bar went in pretty easily, although the beam braces ended up a little cockeyed because of protrusions interfering.

The big surprise was, the way it drove afterwards was actually quite different than what I was expecting! Mainly, it didn't really sway less on curves (likely because the much heavier rear has no bar yet, and old shocks).

Instead, my old Chinook suddenly felt what I can only describe as "calm" and solid. That is, it absorbed the usual side judder inducing bumps, the steering didn't try to wander, and it wasn't the typical old Ford E-series have-to-pay-attention driving experience any more. It was actually more like driving a car with tight steering, than like an old truck.

In short, unexpected but good results, and I like it a LOT :D. Now I'm gonna have to get a rear bar :o
Last edited by kdarling on April 9th, 2017, 3:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
M Spec

Post by M Spec »

Sounds like a job for....(wait for it).... OXY-ACETYLENE MAN 8-)
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Ha! I wish! Always meant to learn some torch skills. Never had to, tho, because friends had them when I was young. Hmm. Can an old dog really learn new tricks? ;)
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

kdarling wrote:Ha! I wish! Always meant to learn some torch skills. Never had to, tho, because friends had them when I was young. Hmm. Can an old dog really learn new tricks? ;)
Did you get the Hellwig 7604? I'm shopping for front and rear sway bars. Looking for suggestions.

Also, you can get a MAPP torch for peanuts, and the're quite useful, especially on rusty nuts. Get the nut almost red hot, and give it a good whack. Or use an impact gun if there's room. And an overnight soak in penetrating oil can help a lot; I like a 50/50 blend of ATF and acetone. Even though my Chinook is a clean CA vehicle, rusty fasteners are annoyingly common on my rig.
1994 Premier
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm not sure if there is anything different in 1994 (maybe not, since the new chassis came in in 1992), but for my Concourse I went with the Roadmaster bars (although I ended up removing the rear bar and going to an E-450 bar because the Roadmaster one had a harsh effect on my rear suspension - not really the bar's fault though).

I had had IPD bars in the past (same company) on my cars and been happy with them. The place I took my Chinook to for the new front end said that either Roadmaster or Hellwig bars would work, and they would install either, but they slightly preferred the Roadmaster bars. I can't remember the exact reason but it was something like a slightly more elegant shape or attachment, I think. So I went with a pair of the Roadmasters*.

Probably can't go wrong with either, but the Roadmaster bars certainly are nice.

*OTOH, if you think there is any chance your rear suspension might end up a little stiff with the heavy/aftermarket bars, and you think the E-450 bar might be better (it's a middle ground between stock and aftermarket), then the rear E-450 bar IS a lot less money. That's not why I ended up with it, but it's a nice side bonus. I think I paid something like $65 for the E-450 bar and that included shipping from a nearby state to my location. I did add new bushings, but I don't remember their cost being anything significant.

I'd say I felt a major improvement with the added bars (Roadmaster front/E-450 rear). Much more fun to drive, flatter in the curves, and as a side-bonus, the "rocking" that you can get when you, say, exit a gas station at an angle to the apron is just cut right off before it can get going.
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Scott wrote:Did you get the Hellwig 7604? I'm shopping for front and rear sway bars. Looking for suggestions.
I went with the 7008 for my '95 front bar.
hellwig bar catalog
hellwig bar catalog
Although it was the same size left-right as the stock one, it seemed about an inch too wide (half inch each side) for the new U-bolt suspension mounts because of some frame parts in the way. Maybe it was only because mine is actually a fairly early E350, made in 1992. Anyway, it worked out and was pretty easy to do.

Adding a rear bar is what concerns me, because at first glance, I think my rear muffler might have to be moved. Not sure yet.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

re: replacing shocks and removing the rusted tight top nut:

Tried the Dremel again with a 90 degree attachment so I could attack head on. But it was way too slow cutting and I soon gave up.

Then I got a nut-splitter and actually succeeded in splitting the nut... while simultaneously accidentally merging it with the underlying bolt stem, forming a single bonded piece of metal. Huh. So much for that idea.

Finally said okay, enough fooling around, and went to the basement. Dug out my big reciprocating saw and a metal cutting blade. Ha! That made short work of slicing off the entire top bolt and nut!
M Spec

Post by M Spec »

New question... I see some Chinooks with a rack on the roof. I know that the Baja came with one. So, two questions really. Can you mount a rack on all Chinooks and how much weight can they hold. I presume the roof is strong enough to hold a person otherwise you couldn't do work on the AC unit etc on the roof. Where does one get such a rack. Chinook specific or just one of many available for SUV's ???
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hey Blu - does that E450 rear sway bar ride softer than the aftermarket bar? I've had IPD bars on some Volvos I owned years ago but they definitely rode pretty hard, but than I was driving pretty hard back then. I have an aftermarket bar on mine (haven't been under it enough to remember the make) and that back end shudders over every little bump. Tried running my tires at 50 psi and air spring helpers at 30 psi but its still pretty harsh.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
M Spec

Post by M Spec »

Driving to Dallas/Ft Worth tomorrow morning, hopefully to buy 2004 Concourse...everyone keep their fingers crossed that it's as nice of one as advertised. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still need roof rack info ;)
Last edited by M Spec on April 18th, 2017, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.