Whats this valve in propane tank

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
chinook4x4

Whats this valve in propane tank

Post by chinook4x4 »

Does anybody know what this threaded hole is for in my 2000 Concourse propane tank? Is it for an external barbq?

JP
2000 Concourse 4x4

PS, for some reason the forum flipped my photo upside down.
Attachments
IMG_7942.JPG-1.jpeg
SMan

Re: Whats this valve in propane tank

Post by SMan »

If your talking about the hex nut valve it looks like a bleeder valve used when filling.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Hi JP,

I can't imagine a random threaded fitting being added to an ASME tank (what we have). I'm fairly familiar with our tanks (I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you have the same one I do), but I can't quite make out what angle I'm looking at in your photo.

Oh wait, I see you said it flipped your photo upside down. Then I think that's the relief valve mentioned in #5 below. You can see on my photo of "our" tank that corresponds to the hole in the shield that also shows in my photo.

Here is a photo of "our" tank for starters, looking at it straight on.
tank layout.jpg
From left to right here is what I understand the various things to be:

1) Sight gauge (has needle)

2) Fill (should have yellow plastic cap, although it may be missing since it's just plastic)

3) Fixed liquid level gauge (little pinhole in a square looking thing surrounded by a reddish circle) (also used when filling)

4) On/Off valve (may have more official name, but this is how you turn on and off the propane to the regulator and thence the interior appliances).

5) Relief valve (you can barely see it behind the regulator but it points down). This is what will release the propane in case of a road accident or etc. - this is why a tank may shoot (relatively harmless) fire in an accident but doesn't "blow up."

6) Regulator (the two metal "circles" on the right between the on/off valve and the black hose)

It's possible to add things (such as an extend-a-stay or a way to get unregulated propane for a barbecue or something) but these things are added "in line" and do not pierce the tank itself, as far as I know.

Here is a link to an article that show how some of the "guts" look on the inside and what they do:

http://roadtreking.com/innards-rv-propane-tank/

As I remember it their tank is laid out slightly differently than ours, but the same principles apply.
1999 Concourse
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

Indeed, this is the tank safety relief valve required in case of an overpressure event. Recently I traced a persistent propane odor outside my rig to this valve that developed a small leak around the 1” pipe thread. Just tightening the valve was not helpful as the thread sealant had become brittle and cracked with age.

I had an RV dealer empty the tank, remove the valve, clean the threads then refit with fresh sealant. In hindsight I should have had a new valve installed as they have a recommended service life of 10 years. Manchester Tank will only sell their LP gas tank parts to an authorized RV service center. Also the tank also needs to be dry inside and air purged out with propane vapor after being opened, so this is not really a do-it-yourself job.

Perhaps there's more than you care to know about relief valves here:
http://www.gasequipment.com/catalogs/Ca ... Valves.pdf

Stay safe!
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019