concourse fiberglass molds location?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
nautracer

concourse fiberglass molds location?

Post by nautracer »

does anyone know if the Concourse molds could be brought out of storage....I have searched the internet for info. I guess it is not cost effective to build them anymore? I have heard Sprinters are having some roof rust issues....

has anyone ever seen the "birth" of their built to order RV right out of the mold... Escape trailers company does it up in Chilliwack B.C.

These TT are really cool but I want the Concourse!
kdarling

Re: concourse fiberglass molds location?

Post by kdarling »

A few years ago the Chinook name and molds were obtained by a company started by some former Chinook employees, who had later built RV dealerships. See: http://www.chinookrv.com/

In 2014, they showed off a prototype of an updated traditional Chinook, using what looks like the Glacier single slider molds. You can see the prototype here at Dave Shehane's Flickr page (click the little arrow/TV icon at the upper right to toggle into Slideshow mode):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39406571@ ... 539374515/

However, apparently because it was thought that Ford would discontinue the E-series cutaway chassis, the above plan was dropped (at least for the time being) and they instead created the Class B Chinook Countryside that is Sprinter based. They've said that they still hope to one day also bring back a traditional Chinook model, likely the Glacier first and then perhaps the Concourse. However, I read that the Destiny molds perished in a fire.

Btw, if you're new to Chinooks, be sure to visit these links:
Some Chinook-specific personal blogs include:
A lively Facebook group is called "I Love My Chinook":
Another is "Vintage Chinook Truck Campers and Motorhomes", which includes many old non-Concourse styles.
And if you've never seen it, check out this nine minute long 1997 Chinook promotional video, which includes some scenes of construction, including the uncut body right out of the mold:
Interestingly, most of the video features a fairly rare side entry model.

Kev
Last edited by kdarling on August 31st, 2017, 3:41 am, edited 11 times in total.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
nautracer

Post by nautracer »

thanks so much Kev. great info.
nautracer

Post by nautracer »

had a blast watching the video! pretty inspiring. I had seen the Tin Can Tourist info. thanks for your kind efforts. I still have much to learn!
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

You're very welcome, of course.

Even though the internet and forums contain a ton of material, it's sometimes hard to find.

I'd love for someone to collect all known Chinook info into a table top book and/or manual.

I'd be tempted to do it myself, but it'd be a pain to get all the copyright permissions from everyone who ever posted a photo or story :)
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

K, you're welcome to copy/paste your informative message into a new thread under the "reference material" section.. Some good stuff all put together there.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Speaking of the Chinook molds...

Apparently the current Chinook RV makers are setting up a new 10,000+ sq ft factory in RV centric Elkhart Indiana.

Interestingly, one of the photos they posted to their Facebook account (https://www.facebook.com/ChinookRV/), is this pic of a Concourse/Premier split mold sitting off to one side:
Concourse mold as of 2017
Concourse mold as of 2017
The Glacier was planned to be the first classic (they call them "wide body") Chinook model they'd bring back, but how cool will it be if/when they eventally do the same for the Concourse!!

edit: Hmm, and with all the people who like to customize interiors, perhaps they should offer a bare bones interior with optional roughed in appliances. Then the owner could have a custom layout done by a third party or themselves.
Last edited by kdarling on April 25th, 2017, 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Aww, look at that. It's like seeing the momma whale :D I can see a few of the changes they made as time went on. It sure does look a lot like a boat mold (which I like).

I'm with you: Let's see it on a Transit cutaway with a self-build option. I'll take mine with no appliances :D

Thanks for posting that as I don't do Facebook.

I wonder what the other mold is that's just behind/ahead of it?

BG
1999 Concourse
Concourse St Tropez

Post by Concourse St Tropez »

Hate to say , but I don't see it happening...
wakefield907

Post by wakefield907 »

We just missed buying a Chinook in Tucson Arizona. Dealer said someone who owned the molds / forms had bought it. Possible factory near Las Vegas? (near the Tesla factory?) This is just what we heard, take it as you will.