Anyone upgraded brakes?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Willywalderbeast

Re: Antone upgraded brakes?

Post by Willywalderbeast »

Scott wrote:
Do you know if 16" wheels work with this kit?
Will they give you the $90 core for your pre 08 calipers?
Yes, they will fit under 16" steel wheels but not under 16" mag wheels the non dually vans have from what I've read and been told. I an running 17" dodge dually wheels so I had plenty of room.

Haha thats a good question as i didn't think of that till now. Even if they don't take the cores the kit comes out to $511 which is still cheaper compared to the OEM stuff.

I installed everything yesterday morning in under 2hrs. It was VERY easy and I'm confident anyone with some basic tools (socket set, pliers, jack, jack stands, can of grease, new cotter pins, some rags) can accomplish the task in their driveway. Taking the caliper and bracket off together makes it so quick and easy. I purchased new inner and outer bearings but ended up not using them and just re-packing the current bearings as they looks as if they were replaced once already and looked very good condition. I also didn't use the hydraulic brake lines i bought as the current ones looked good and fit fine.

I took a ride after the install to "bed" the brakes which just involves some moderate stops from 35pmh-10mph, then from 45-10mph all without coming to a complete stop if possible. After that i let it sit so the brakes could cool down while i did an oil change. I was going to take her out for a cruise after that but ran out of time so the verdict is still out.

Attached are some pictures of the job...

First photo is the stock setup. once you have the truck up in the air and the tires off you can pop off the dust cap with piles or a screw driver, pull the cotter pin, remover the "castle nut" style cover that sits over the nut and then remover the nut which is usually only hand snug and can be taken off with pilers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Willywalderbeast on October 29th, 2017, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willywalderbeast

Continued...

Take off the two bolts that hold the caliper bracket on then remove the whole assembly and place it out of the way till you disconnect the line from the caliper. have a bucket handy to catch the brake fluid that will drip out.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Willywalderbeast on October 29th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willywalderbeast

Continued...

Once you have the caliper off you can fully remove the old rotor/hub being carefully to catch the flat washer and outer bearing that will fall out. Then to remove the inner bearing and dust seal from the old rotor just lay it flat with the wheel studs up and use a large socket or flathead screwdriver to tap the bearing out thru the bottom, it comes out really easy.

After they are out, repack the bearings with grease and install them into the new rotor/hub assembly and slap it all back together. Next install the new pads into the new caliper and attach the whole assembly back in place with the two bolts for the caliper bracket. Attach the brake line back up to the new caliper and then your done. Make sure to bleed the brakes good after the install.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Cool. Thanks for posting this. Yeah, $500 for that kit is pretty amazing, assuming it's of decent quality. Looking forward to your impressions.

You probably did a thorough fluid flush, but if not, I'd strongly suggest it. I've seen some pretty bad brake fluid in old, low mileage vehicles. And with ABS and the infrequent usage of RVs, it's a good idea. Even annually isn't overkill IMO.
1994 Premier
autox

Post by autox »

After reading this post and realizing my 2000 Concourse is under braked I've decided to go ahead and order the Power Stop Z-36 KC 471736 brake kit for a 2008 E-350. I have the stock 16" steel wheels and just wanted to confirm with others that have done this that it's the right kit.
I plan to get their matching rear pads also and then do a thorough fluid flush.
2000 Concourse,Late 99 build,1999 Ford Chassis
Northern Calif.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Autox--I will be doing the same front brake upgrade to my 2004 Premier this spring...in conjunction with new tires. I also have the stock 16" steel rims, though I am planning on going larger on the tires from the current 225/75 R 16's to 235/85 R16's in an effort to eek out a bit more ground clearance. I will be using the same Powerstop KC 4717-36 kit that you mentioned. I don't think I'm going to do the rears.

So, let me know how the new brakes feel, and if you notice a significant difference.

David
autox

Post by autox »

Good Idea on the tires, unfortunately I just bought new ones for the front..

Just wanting to confirm the Power stop kit before I order it, has anybody bought it and does it fit and improve braking?
If so I'll get it, install it and give all my findings...

Thanks!!
2000 Concourse,Late 99 build,1999 Ford Chassis
Northern Calif.
dougm

Post by dougm »

When you upgrade to late model ford brakes, i assume you have to also change the entire steering knuckle/spindle as well?
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

dougm wrote:When you upgrade to late model ford brakes, i assume you have to also change the entire steering knuckle/spindle as well?
Not speaking from experience, but from reading Willy's posts and those in THIS other thread, you just need the '08 caliper brackets.
1994 Premier
Dano
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Dano »

Just following up on this thread boys...did anyone do the upgrade and if so, was it worth doing? Were you pleased with the improved stopping performance?...Dano
"Jewels" - '02 Chinook Concourse XL