2004 Premier Questions

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
73' 18+

2004 Premier Questions

Post by 73' 18+ »

New to this forum but not to RVing or Chinooks. I'm sure someone here can answer a couple of questions about Premiers.
First, does a 2004 have dual pane windows? Second, is there a Hobbs meter anywhere in the GenSet. Be nice to know how many hours are on the GenSet. Third, have any of you replaced the jack knife sofa with a mattress and free standing back pillows?
Thanks for any info.
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Re: 2004 Premier Questions

Post by Chinookers »

My Premier is a 2003.

Dual pane ... NO

Hobbs Meter ... NO

Sofa ... Have not replaced, instead had it professionally reupholstered with new foam / fabric. At same time we reupholstered the dinette, and fitted new FlexSteel captains chairs all using same fabric. Also replaced carpet with hardwood laminate flooring. Lots more mods done, all of which are described on my blog (http://chinookers.blogspot.com/)
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

I never noticed before that the Premier was missing the hour meter on the remote switch. Odd thing to leave out.

As for replacing the sofa with a bed, that is becoming a popular modification. More and more people are building a platform (sometimes extended in width in club models).

Here's a recent example:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=810&p=6734

Kev
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hi - welcome to the Forum!

My 2003 Premier doesn't have dual pane glass or a Hobbs meter for the generator. I keep a mental note of how often and how long I run the generator but I have the oil changed annually just to be on the safe side.

As far as the jackknife sofa bed its worth spending the money to modify it. I had the upholstery guy cut the springs out, leaving just the metal frame. He built a plywood platform for both the seating surface and the sofa back so that it still functions as a jackknife sofa but with better foam. He made the sofa back cushions (originally a one piece unit) into two moveable cushions so that the sofa doesn't bind on itself when opening or closing. The loose cushions of the sofa back are held in place with Velcro patches. We sleep in our unit with our upper bodies on the driver's side so cutting out the sofa's springs on the seating surface we eliminated the upward pressure on our chests. A high density foam was used so its firm but much more comfortable and also easier to kneel on (my wife has to climb over me to get to the rear of the unit and I have to kneel on the sofa bed when getting up to adjust the A/C.). I used this project as an opportunity to go with a lighter tan as my original interior was too brown. The upholsterer also took the foam out of all the dinette side cushions and the seatbacks and replaced them with the same foam used on the sofa bed side. Well worth the money and so much more comfortable that the jackknife sofa.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

Mine has the hour meter on the remote switch. It's a 1994. I would think they got better and more appointed over the years, not less.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Chinooks aren't known for their consistency! My 1994 did not have an hour meter.
The qustion about the hour meter was probably in the interest of knowing the Onan's history, but for future use, THESE are super easy to install. I have one on my Honda generator, and a few more on other various engines.
1994 Premier
Colorider

Post by Colorider »

We all clearly each have our own unique little snowflakes. Amazing.
"Harvey the RV" - 1994 Chinook Premier, Dinette, 7.5L V8
73' 18+

Post by 73' 18+ »

Thanks for all the replies. Most of the questions about the Premier are now moot, at least for me. Just snagged an 02 Coucourse with 44k miles on it. Guess I'll have to change my user name. All good info on the sofa. That just may be my first project. Ah projects. As most of you may know and understand, projects are half the fun of owning an RV. Guess I'll start a message with questions about the Concourse.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Congrats! I think '02 was a nice year. If I remember correctly it's the last one with the racing-stripe livery, which I'm fond of. I think a big part of it for me is just that it's not "swoopy" like so many RV's are. But then Chinook did a pretty nice job with their swoops. I guess I like them all :D

(Also, to my mind all of the years have some things I like better than other years; and some things I like less than other years.)
1999 Concourse
73' 18+

Post by 73' 18+ »

This one is swoopy. I as well prefer the racing stripe.