New Front Suspension

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
dougm

New Front Suspension

Post by dougm »

The new front suspension components arrived today..... Note the bends in the I-beams, these are to negate camber problems at alignment time after adding lift to the front suspension. This is actually how twin I-beam suspension systems were aligned in the old days up untill someone invented the cheater bushings. The problem with cheater bushings is they only allow for a limited amount of camber and caster adjustment. Meaning if you turn the bushing add more caster, you change camber in a negative manner at the same time. You cant adust one without adversley affecting the other. Not looking forward to crawling on the ground to install this, but im sure it will be worth it when im done. P.S...... the FOX shocks have been revalved for the Chinook so im hoping they out perform the Bilstiens that are currently on it. Oh, this kit will give approximately 3 inches of front lift once installed.
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Re: New Front Suspension

Post by eporter123 »

Are these from Weldtec? I like the looks of their "Baja Grocery Getter" kit
Former owner of a 2000 Chinook Premier, V-10, with no Interior...
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

Doug, What was the total cost of Kit or the parts? Where did you buy? Thx, Bill
1997 Chinook Concourse, over 200,000 Miles
dougm

Post by dougm »

They are from Weldtec. Its the kit designed for RV's...... we discussed the kit in depth on the phone and decided the Chinook would see approximately 3 inches lift based on its weight after the vehicle was back on ground with the suspension loaded. After i was finished the truck had a full 4 inches lift in front which was just to much IMO. After much time on the phone they sent me a pair of procomp springs which lowered the front approximately 2 full inches. There are some issues with the kit being that the I-beams are not bent enough to compensate for the initial 4 inches of lift, meaning the vehicle cant be aligned to the correct specs and the front tires sit at an angle with the tops pushing out towards the fender. This is an on going project, right now my truck is properly aligned with 2 inches less lift anda different spring rate... i want what i paid for so as soon as my taxes are done i plan to load up my two dogs and head for southern california to weldtec so they can bend me I beams that work as advertised. installation was straight forward and the new style radius arm brackets bolt right on with no modifications, i also picked up a new style sway bar at the local bone yard with brackets and links for $75. The lit was approximately $2600 which included a $400 core charge on your old I-beams which you get back after you ship your old ones back. I will update a post once i return with a proper setup that is a simple bolt on for the chinook. I wanted to leave two weeks ago but i didnt want to be pressured for time by having to get back to do my taxes so i decided to delay the trip until they were done. In other words..... i wouldnt order a kit from weldtec until you hear back from me or you could be biting off a big nightmare at this point. Once they have an actual chinook in the shop they can bend the I-beams the correct amount for the vehicle at which point it will be a mail order out of the box bolt on kit, but right now its not the case for the Chinook.
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

Wow. Sounds like a bit of a hassle, but I'm glad they're working with you to make it right. Definitely let us know how it goes, a mild lift would be nice on these rigs.

What years vans have the "new style" swaybar? My '98 E350 Ambo has IPD swaybars front & rear that it got from the original upfitter. Handles surprisingly well, I had to slow it down going up some mountain curves when I realized I was going 80...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't know when the cutoff is, but my '99 had the "older" style Ford front bar. I don't think the bar itself is any different, qualitatively, but the mounting style is different. The reason I know this is I had a new take-off 2014 front end put on my Chinook back in 2014. I still have the newer stock front bar that I got with the new front end, but I put on a Roadmaster bar instead anyway. So I don't think there is likely any reason to put the "newer" Ford bar on the "older" front end (nor would it likely fit). At least that's how I understood it.

(In case you are wondering, the reason I put on the front end is because I wanted the much-better brakes (they changed in around 2009). They are much larger and now I no longer live in fear of the stale yellow light. Side bonus was some slightly re-designed front suspension parts (but nothing earth-shaking), plus just starting fresh with all new tie-rods, ball joints, etc. Wouldn't have done that except for the brakes though. LOVE the new brakes.)

IIRC, my Chinook had no rear sway bar stock. I put on a Roadmaster bar but it was just to harsh with the already fairly erm.... active.... E-350 rear suspension. So I compromised with a take-off E-450 stock Ford rear bar which is something like halfway between nothing and the Roadmaster bar. Good compromise for me. Most of the goodness of the rear Roadmaster bar but "no added harshness."
1999 Concourse
dougm

Post by dougm »

Yes its been a hassle to say the least especially since its advertised as a bolt on and drive kit (aside from the obvious need for an alignment). They suggested i get underneath and grind away a portion of the I-beam behind the ball joint eccentric but i told him absolutely not... i want what i paid for so they sent me different springs which reduced the lift a good 2 inches but allowed it to be aligned properly, however i paid for a 4 inch lift not 2 inches. The entire purpose for doing it was to gain ground clearance so that im not draggng the bumper on the ground when i go up a steep driveway or at the lake bottoming out on unpaved humps in the road ect..... I can clearly see that the longer passenger side I-beam was bent to compensate for the lift, but i can also see that the shorter drivers side beam has no detectable bend to it at all versus the stock beam that came off of my truck. I wouldnt say they are working with me in as much as they respond when i demand answers, but its at the point where i am no longer willing to crawl on my back in the driveway and pull these parts off again when i have already done it twice now, its been to three alignment shops as well. The shocks are built for 4 inches of lift as well not 2 inches, which means i have lost distance of 2 inches compression on the front shocks when i hit a large bump........ I messaged them and informed them i was bringing the truck to them and i expect it to be corrected by them when i get there but they havent responded to date, so i will call them prior to leaving nebraska and they can decide if they wish to fix the issues in person or if they wish for me to stay here and handle it via the legal system because i have spent far to much time and money to pull these parts off and ship them back for a refund and then reinstall the old suspension and eat alignments and all of the hours i spent on the phone, waitng on alignments, and installing this suspension system not just once but twice. Its 1500 miles for me to drive one way to their shop which will take one man 2 days of driving and endless amounts of fuel at my expense... so im being more than fair with them...... not to mention my two Blue Heelers are gonna hate being stuck in the truck for 2 days aside from potty breaks. But i need that full 3 inches the 4 inch kit was supposed to net me because i currently have a custom rear bumper being fabricated and its wide and deep enough to place group 31 batteries inside with the spare on a swingout on top of the bumper versus hanging on the back of the bumper.
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

Doug,
Sorry for all that hassle and for posting as a warning to others. I was considering the Action Van 4" lift kit which is around $2000 including shocks, etc. Their approach is a drop down radius arm vs bending the arms.

My Moog CC880S front coil springs just arrived. I cant wait to see how these work out. Hopefully about 1.5" for under $200.
Bill
eporter123
**Forum Contributor**

Post by eporter123 »

Doug, hopefully they straighten things out for you...or is it level things out...;). I've seen some cool stuff from Weldtech, so hopefully this is some random fluke and future Chinook owners will have less hassle.

Bill, please post up how those springs work. Rear blocks too?
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

eporter123 wrote:Rear blocks too?
Maybe. Once I install the front, I'll see what I need in back to level. I found a rear spring pack with a 3" arch vs 1-7/8" and Im leaning that way. $200 per spring and I was planning on new ubolts anyway. 200K on my springs and planning on many more miles.