MIL light nightmare

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
dougm

MIL light nightmare

Post by dougm »

Word of Warning... Beware..
Recently my Chinook threw a MIL light on the dash. I pulled the code and it is a
P0191 which indictaes fuel pressure signal out of range. Since i dont have any troubleshooting equipment i thought i would try replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor first and go from there. I replaced the sensor, reset the light, went for a test drive and the light came right back. Notbeing physically able to do much crawling around on the ground i decided to just make an appointment with Ford to troubleshoot the code and tell me what was wrong. The service manager quoted me $50 to $150 to troubleshoot. It was 2 days before thanksgiving and the soonestthey could get it in was the following monday at 0900. That mondya i dropped the truck off and explained i just replaced the rail pressure sensor and the light came right back, i also explained that when i gas up the tank has excessive pressure in it which is released when removing the cap. Allof this was ignored i guess, at 1200 hours (noon) they call me insisting the fuel rail pressure sensor is bad, i explained that i already told you i just replaced it prior to bringing it to you so i know its not bad. We argued for 5 minutes and then he hands me a bill for $130 (keep mind the fuel sensor is step 1 of about 10 in the troubleshooting procedure and i was quoted $50 to $150 max for troubleshooting) I went back to the cashier and paid the $130 charge for doing nothing more than pulling the code and being told to replace what had already been replaced) Not knowing what to do i though well perhaps i got a bad sensor so i purchased a new sensor which cost me $163. I took my truck home and replaced the sensor, reset the code, went for a drive and thelight came right back on. Now i have wasted $300 and im mad because i was lied to and scammed out of $300. I called the General Manager and complained who scheduled an appointment to bring the truck back to finish the trouble shooting process i had been charged for. I dropped the truck off at 0800 hours, they had the truck all day and then called me an hour before closing and stated we dont know whats wrong with it. I thought seriously? Your a Dealer not a back yard shop and youre telling me you dont know whats wrong with your product. I said just order me a fuel pump and a fuel pump driver not knowing what else to do. I paid for the pump $575 and the driver $275 and will be paying the labor once its performed. I pick the chinook up and bring it home not wanting it to sit there until its next appointment. Jump to today, i drop the truck off at 0800 hours, they have the truck all day, at 1500 hours they called me saying we have an issue. I think oh great now what... he explains the mechanic busted off one of the six 3/8" studs that are welded into the tank which hold the pump in place securely so it doesnt leak. He then asks what i want to do, i stated fix it you broke it not me. HE starts to argue so i said i will be right there so i can see what you did. On arrival i start getting excuses immediately (which seems to be the norm at Anderson ford). We go back in the shop over to my truck and the fuel tank is laying on a roll awy tool cart, right next to it is the mechanics other roll away cart with none other than an impact gun sitting on top of the pile of tools with the air hose still attached. I explain my position is this.... i didnt break it, your man obviously used an impact on that stud rather than what he shoudl have been using which is a hand ratchet and a socket. The other 5 studs werent stuck, werent rusted beyond anything you wouldnt expect. The top of the fuel pump looked new even thoug it was the old pump, the top of the tank wasnt rusted or dirty or muddy. I said wheni was a mechanic if i fucked something up my boss flipped the bill not the customer. I stated your mechanic should have used hand tools not an impact gun, if he felt the nut was rusted to the degree it wouldnt come off...#1... he would have felt it....#2 he could have stopped prior to snapping it off... #3... he would of had you call me in so that he could explain the situation giving me the option to decide what course of action to take. But thats not what he did, he chose to #1... to use an impact gun on a sheet metal fuel tank rather than the proper tool which would be hand tools, he then made the choice to take that risk upon himself without consulting anyone prior to. That makes him 100% liable for ruing a ... get this $2700 fuel tank... The assitant genral manager insists its not their fault, even though had the moron used the proper tool for the job he could have stopped twisting, got out his nut splitter, cracked the nut effectively loosening it and the job would be done. Instead he chose to proceed and ruined the tank because the studs are welded in the tank from inside the tank to prevent fuel from seeping around the threads. Needless to say at this time i had no option other than to have them order the tank at my expense so i can get the chinook out of their hands and back home. I am currently in the hole some $4000 not counting labor for a P0191 code which should have been resolved in one day. The dealer is ...Anderson Ford Lincoln, Nebraska......Service: 866-983-5965. Needless to say once the truck is home i will be forced to persue legal action to recover the damages caused by their incompetent employees.
Blue~Go

Re: MIL light nightmare

Post by Blue~Go »

That is SO INFURIATING!!!

And it's a dealer, where you always pay a premium price (but they theoretically know the product well and do good work - or corporately stand behind it if they don't). I'm steaming and I only read it, not lived it. :evil: :evil: :evil: Sure, a one-man shop might have trouble covering it (but of course they still should), but a large dealer? No excuse.

I understand why you bought the new tank - at that point I'd do the same just to get my Chinook back. I hope you are successful in getting your money back. I wonder if Ford (not that dealer) would listen to your case?

Grrrrrrrr.
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

That is terrible Doug. That is a ton of money to spend for nothing. I recently paid Ford $158 to change one spark plug from a check engine light but at least it solved the issue and didn't break the bank.

In 1991 I fought with Ford over a Lemon 1991 Ford F250XLT pickup. It took 10 months but I eventually got them to buy it back.

I also fought with them in 1993 over the springs on my 1993 Tioga Montara motorhome based on the E350 chassis. I also won that one. Both times after issues with the dealer I went through the Ford "Zone Rep" and from that point they dealt with the dealer. I suspect they still have them or something similar. I wish you good luck.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

My reading of Doug's experience is that after 4 grands, he still did not have the MIL clear. I have my share of issue with dealer's "exceptional" work, but never came close to anything more than a grand. This is not acceptable. Hopefully you have better luck with the corp and get your money back.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
dougm

Post by dougm »

I dont know if the new pump and driver will get rid of the MIL light because they rendered the gas tank worthless before they got installed. The new tank wont be here until Friday at the earliest. So now all of my clothing, my tooth brush, razor, shaving cream, personal belongings are 6 feet up in the air on a hoist inside a shop along with all of my dogs medicine and food. I shut off all of the pilots lights prior to taking it in because i figured it would be done by the end of the day and nothing would thaw or spoil. Everything in the fridge is now going to be rotted or spoiled. I shut everything off thinking the mechanic wont even think about killing the pilot lights before he yanks that fuel tank and opens it up with gasoline inside of it.
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

I sympathize with your stressful situation brought on by incompetence and lies from trusted professionals in the field. Don’t allow this to cloud your judgement and be tempted to part with your Chinook in anger, especially after investing so much time and money into upgrades. As SMan says, work through the Ford zone rep for compensation. Hang in there.
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Maybe you are too steamed to even discuss it with them (understandable!), but I would ask them to lower the vehicle (or let me use a ladder or something) to get in there and get your dog's medicine and remove the spoiling food. I've had similar situations (not with that much carelessness, thank goodness, but just because parts had to be waited on), and when they found out my household was inside, they've always found a way to let me inside for a few minutes. (That's not to say your place will, but maybe?)
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

The situation is worse than I thought. You should document the food spoilage, and I think they are liable for that. I would work with them to get access to the rig so that you have your medication and other necessary items. :(
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
dougm

Post by dougm »

Update: Today is the 7th, yesterday i was able to get my Dogs medicine, some clothing, and of course the food out of the fridge.... everything was already thawed out and soggy so it will be going in the trash. Today i called Ford Motor Company and as expected i was brushed off with the standard...." Im sorry theres nothing we can do to assist you Mr McGinn as all of the dealerships are independently owned & operated so we have no control over them." ... My reply.... Perhaps, however they do fly your flag in their front yard and what they do is a direct reflection on Ford Motor Company. In a nutshell Ford doesnt give two S*&T's what the dealerships do if the vehicle isnt under warranty. Next step.... wait for truck to be repaired, pay bill, start compiling reciepts, photos, and documentation for State Attorney General.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

I drive Fords but learned long ago that the dealers are incompetent and/or crooked, depending on where you live. I had a 1997 Mercury Sable that had only 4,000 miles when the "Check Engine" light came on. It went to three different dealerships - two Ford and one Lincoln-Mercury - and none of them could figure out what was wrong and I spent over $500 on diagnostics with no solution. I live in California and the car was given to me by my dad, who lived in another state. When I drove it back to California I couldn't register it for months because they won't clear a car with a "Check Engine" code lit up. Finally took it to a small shop that I had used just for smog registrations in the past. They found a cracked vacuum line and replaced it. Total cost - $40.

The lesson for me is that dealers sell cars but they don't know how to fix them.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10