Dead Mouse

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Dead Mouse

Post by pdemarest »

We had a problem with mice in our house so I put out some poison in the attic. A few days later I go out to our Chinook and the thing smells of dead mouse. I've taken everything out of the cabinets and searched with a flashlight but still couldn't find the deceased. Its now been over two weeks with both roof fans running fulltime and still the smell lingers. Any ideas of how to get rid of the odor? Any experience with how long it takes for the mouse to decay to the point where it stops smelling? Any "traditional" points of entry for mice into these rigs (mines a Premier)? I have bug screens on all heater and water heater vents so I'm trying to figure out how it got in.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Re: Dead Mouse

Post by Blue~Go »

My first suspicion would be someplace in the cab. For example, when I removed the stepwell covers (to access some wiring), I couldn't believe the large holes there. I've also heard of other Class C owners having problems with mice coming in the cab through various places.

BUT, here is another place to check: At one point I really wanted to buy a certain Class C (not a Chinook but same engine/cab). But it reeked of mouse! We finally found the nest. After removing the doghouse we saw a "lovely" nest-shaped flat area on the front of the transmission belllhousing/rear-of-engine area. And it did indeed host a mouse nest. We cleaned and cleaned (it belonged to a friend) but that smell was persistent. It didn't help matters that that area heated up when the engine was running...

As far as coach entry points, on my Concourse wherever something goes through the floor (PEX drains, propane lines, wires) there is one of those white plastic collars and then a glob of silicone. Whenever I get to one of those, I replace some of the silicone with copper mouse mesh (being careful to avoid chafing). I figure a mouse could chew through the silicone. So those are behind the furnace (propane line and propane gauge wire), ahead of the water heater (propane line) (low point drains) (wires to battery compartment from pillar), behind the stove (propane line x 2) (fridge drain), under the couch (water tank drain), near the shower somewhere? (chassis ground wires for driver's side) in the tire locker (wires to taillights) (grey dwv pipe) (black dwv pipe) (black tank flush pipe), in the closet (generator wire) (taillight wires?) (chassis ground wires).

One thing I noticed when I got my Chinook: It had been stored in a warehouse and while there was NO sign of mice ever being inside, I could see they had made a little home on top of the grey tank (under the rig). It was long gone but some evidence remained. The I noticed something else interesting: They had chewed into nearly all the PEX pipes that hung down under the rig (black flush piping, low point drains). So they must like PEX. Happily they didn't get in, but I wonder if they could? Say if a valve was open?
1999 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hey Blue - thanks! I had been in the rig earlier in the day but was at the rear of the "house". Then when I opened the side passenger door to the cab I smelled the mouse for the first time. Will have to pull the dog house and check it out.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Bummer. The smell of death is pretty unpleasant.

I've had a couple mice in my rig. Pretty sure they followed me in through the back door. I usually have a trap set no matter what; the little Victor traps with a dab of peanut butter do nicely. Rats under-hood are my biggest concern, however. Just one more in a long list of reasons to get the rig on the road as much as possible; they'll be less likely to trespass. Also, I like to keep rations in the rig, which can be an attractor, so food is always in sealed plastic bins.

Blue, yes they like silicone! I had a mouse eat through a silicone spatula. Yum. I fill holes with wads of copper scouring pads, which are available everywhere. It makes sense that they would like the warmth behind a running refrigerator, so that's a convenient place to start looking. Not to get all environmentally righteous or critical, but I prefer not to use poison. When I trap gophers, I toss 'em in the yard and they're gone within minutes (usually a turkey vulture swoops in), and I'd hate to pass the poison up the food chain (not that I'm a softy for vultures). Also with traps you get confirmation of capture. With poison they can run behind a wall before they croak, and then you get to smell it for the next month.

Paul hey just wondering: Can your dog sniff it out? Help ya find it?
1994 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I hate poison too. Always used trap with peanut butter like others mentioned. It take months for the dead rat to be desiccated and mummified, unless it is humid and cool, then it can be much longer. Sometimes you can follow ant trails to the dead rodent, but most likely you don't have a trail at all. Good luck.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Post by HoosierB »

I use Xcluder to fill gaps and holes. Installed it in my 30x40' pole building (where I store my Chinook), and NO mice! "Great Stuff" also makes a pest resistant version that I have used to fill holes, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HL ... UTF8&psc=1
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hey Scott - Hadn't thought of using my dog (Rufus, a 110 lb. black German Shepard) to sniff it out but might try that after I pull the engine doghouse to see if Blue's guess about a mouse next on top of the transmission pans out. We do feed a "porch" cat that hangs around my rig (someone moved away and left the cat to fend for itself and several of our neighbors put food out for her). I had hoped she might catch any mice that were around but like my two indoor cats I think she's more inclined to eat commercial cat food and simply watch mice scurry by without attacking them.

I also don't usually use poison but we were getting ready for a two week trip and since we had heard mice in the attic I just threw some blocks of poison into the attic to places I wouldn't be able to reach to retrieve a trap. Apparently one of the mice made it out and died somewhere inside or under the rig so he's getting his revenge. I'm way behind on maintaining my rig and will be getting it ready for action this weekend. Don't have a trip planned yet as we just got back from a non-Chinook trip through New England and Canada so we're taking a breath before getting on the road again. When we're not on the road with the Chinook its our "Emergency Unit" - water supply, toilet, and power for our home in a pinch - so I need to get that done soon.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Chinnin-about

Post by Chinnin-about »

Just a heads up. My 1997 Chinook, which sat for many years before I purchased it, showed signs of mice having lived in it. I've shampooed all the upper cabinets, and made sure everything is in sealed containers, but I still occasionally see evidence, although it seems only when I'm parked and not occupying the coach. So, the coach is still attractive because mice want to explore where other mice have been.

So, I've taken peppermint oil and saturated cotton balls, and placed them in the wiring raceways of my upper cabinets, under the dinette benches, and under the kitchen cabinet as well as the bed. Seems to be working.

I found this advice on an RV forum when searching for solutions. Apparently mice don't like any kind of mint. I think I'm going to put a strong mixture into a spray bottle and crawl under my coach and stray anywhere it appears mice could possibly get in.

And, as a last resort, I use traps.
rgmullins

Post by rgmullins »

I had mice under the floor of the driver side upper cabinets. I found them when the HVAC control stopped working....they had chewed the wires in two.
Rick
Cincinnati, Oh
98 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Ashamed to admit it but the rig is now at the RV service center to have them pull the engine doghouse and also the air intake - apparently there's also a space under the intake where they like to nest. My remaining "real" knee started acting up on our trip so I'm punting the problem to the mechanic who immediately identified several "favorite" areas for mice to nest under the hood. Driving it there was a pretty smelly job and since I also needed the solar panels cleaned and am in no shape to climb a ladder so I'm punting on this one.

Thanks to all for your help. I'm going to order some peppermint oil and I already have some of those electronic rodent repellers and will place some under the hood when I know the rig is going to sit for a while. I'm pretty sure the problem is located under the hood and/or engine doghouse so hopefully once they find the rodents the smell won't linger inside the house part of the coach.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10