Driving with the Generator Running

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Roger D

Driving with the Generator Running

Post by Roger D »

I'm planning a desert camping trip next week. My engine AC compressor is weakening. Can I drive down the highway with the generator running and use the roof Duotherm for AC ?
SMan

Re: Driving with the Generator Running

Post by SMan »

When I had a Tioga 24' motorhome we ran the generator most of the day on our trip to Death Valley both while driving and parked. It was about 120 that day. I don't see why you couldn't on a Chinook but I am sure others will chime in on this. I guess I'll go read my owners manual again.... ;)
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Roger D

Post by Roger D »

It's a 98 Concourse. And I didn't mention that I replaced that OE Surepower battery separator with a one way version.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I don't see anything wrong with running the genset other than wasting gas (compare to just running the vehicle compressor alone), and since your AC compressor is in this condition, it is not a bad idea.

I think some people purposely let the genset run to get it to exercise (as part of regular maintenance), while the rig is driving.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis