Equipment/supplies/food for the road

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Roger D

Equipment/supplies/food for the road

Post by Roger D »

Newbie here with a 98 Concourse. Obviously we are space challenged. Are there any comprehensive lists out there of supplies and equipment for our tight spaces? Things like how to keep canned food from rolling, container sources for small amounts for food, tools, spares etc.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Equipment/supplies/food for the road

Post by pdemarest »

There are no lists but there are things you can do to keep your rig stocked and organized. Use the storage under the dinette for items that you don't have to have ready access to - back-up toilet paper, paper towels, tire chains, tools, etc. We use the cabinet over the cab for sheets, blankets, pillows - things that we will have to access each night. For storing canned goods and other small items we bought lots of those plastic square baskets that contain the items, prevent them from rolling around and allow you to see what's inside each container. If you have the dinette floorplan and leave the table down you can also store items under there. We had a pop-up tent camper before we got our Chinook and we found that we had to reduce the amount of stuff we were taking along with us because the Chinook has less storage. One other tip - if you have propane canisters for an outside stove or lantern store them in the rear outside compartment. Easy to get to and safer. One Chinook owner I know removed the liner from that compartment and it gave him a lot more room for storage.

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I'm replying basically to explain why I didn't reply :? Since you're new, I don't want you to feel discouraged or ignored though. But.... in a way it's like saying "I'm going on vacation what should I pack?" The answers could range from "waterproof matches" to "a tuxedo" depending on where you're going, what you plan to do, how far away you'll be from supplies, etc.

I'm sure there are jillions of lists online. Maybe not Chinook specific, but still good for ideas. As far as how to keep things quite/safe when you're driving: Boating forums will give you good ideas. I just can't stand things knocking around. I use old (clean) socks to put around some things, and also keep a bunch of "scoot guard" type stuff on hand (started with a roll; now have a bunch of pieces that I've cut). Also some things can be placed between layers of clothing, you can use towels you are already bringing, spare paper towel rolls, etc. for padding.

Barring any extremely specific mission (such as "I'm going to the desert and will be off grid in extreme heat and dust for 14 days"), I'd say pack lighter than you think you need to, and remember that there are stores along the way in most places you can take a Chinook. I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan, but just as an example, they are everywhere, often open 24 hours, have a reasonable RV supply section, plus clothing, food, bedding, motor oil, etc.. And you can often park overnight to boot.

There are also laundromats.

Reason I'm suggesting packing light is that a Chinook is not a huge space, and for myself, I DETEST having to paw through over-stuffed lockers and bins just to find something (and then getting home and realizing I wore the same two sets of clothes anyway...). Or having things that "permanently" live in the few open spaces that do exist (now there's a constant battle). That's not to say don't bring the basics, and since garbage and waste can be issues, I do bring "real" dishes and that sort of thing (vs. paper/plastic).

I'd also bring basic tools and tested equipment in case of a flat or roadside stop (reflective triangles, wrenches, etc.). Plus duct tape, zip ties, coveralls, and that sort of thing. A credit card and road service can come in handy. Plus of course have things reasonably well sorted out before setting out (fresh oil change if it's a long trip, good tires, etc.) But this has a HUGE range of personal choice, from people who just bring a credit card, to others who have spare fuel pumps, pre-packed spare bearings, two spares, and you-name-it. So there's no one answer.

As a general rule, I tend to prefer having dedicated things that I keep in a camper vs. having to haul "home" things in and out each time - but that's just one way of doing it.

Funny, but I found myself getting that "oh he's going on a road trip!" excitement for you just writing this, then realized, but wait, I'm already out in my Chinook now :lol:

BG

PS: On the subject of food: Depending on where you are going (and where you start from), you may find that smaller towns have more basic grocery stores -- or even only convenience stores. So if you're starting out in a place with a bigger selection, and there are certain things you really like (especially if they are little treats/non-perishable/hard to find) you may want to stock up a bit. The basics can be found pretty much anywhere though.
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

One item I always carry in my Chinook is a jump box. They are compact and relatively inexpensive. (I used to carry a full size one in my older and larger motorhome.)
https://www.costco.com/Lithium-Jump-Sta ... 83979.html

I also carry a a tire plug kit and a can of fix a flat, reflectors, 5 ton bottle jack and electric impact wrench with correct socket for wheel lugs. I also installed a lockbox on the exterior of the motorhome with an extra set of vehicle keys.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Rokrover

Post by Rokrover »

I’d say the best item to bring along is sufficient knowledge to have a safe margin of self reliance. We all have to start somewhere and this forum is an excellent database.

So once again Blue~Go hits the spot with distilled wisdom. I remember the basic law of earthly physics “Nature abhors a vacuum” or, put another way, your possessions will expand to fill all available space. Since the Chinook's volume is small the pressure can become uncomfortably high according to Boyle's gas law.

Then Entropy kicks in to render such space unmanageable, not to mention old age in my case when I’m already wearing the item I’m desperately looking for :-\

Hope my levity and physics metaphors add some useful perspective. Cheers,
Ted C. / SW Arizona
"The Blue Chook" 2002 Concourse Owner: 2013-2019
Roger D

Post by Roger D »

Very helpful-thx.The trip is 4 days at Joshua Tree NP. No hookups. For SMAN, do you carry the 5 ton bottle jack because the Ford screw jack is too light duty for the extra MH weight?
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Boyle's Law as applied to the Chinook :mrgreen: And then it can apply to me as *knowing* I have something but not being able to find it just cheeses me off. So aggravating! I used to keep lists on boats (what was where), but they do have many more odd storage areas than a Chinook, and you have to carry every last thing (no Walmarts out there).

One concept that reviewing the laws of physics (in a most unique way :D ) made me think of is this. At least for me, it can be easy to forget that the Chinook is a vehicle after I've been parked for a bit. Pull the cab curtain and... it's more like a studio apartment. So I remind myself that it IS a vehicle. Pack light things high and heavy things low. Think about what might happen if I have to stop fast or worse (even relatively innocuous things sitting on the table could fly into the cab, for example). Remember when opening lockers the first time that something might have shifted (at one of my first camp spots after getting the Chinook, I was in an actual campground and went over to the neighbor's to play a board game. He opened the locker over the dinette and a glass jar of jam fell out and hit me in the head :shock: --- he hadn't opened that locker since driving). Ow. Actually, his whole RV had the "apartment" thing going: Upper cabinets were filled with the heaviest things (books, batteries, canned goods), while sheets and towels were down in the lowest compartments. Cause it made sense like a house.

So I say feel free to think outside the box to make the Chinook a better vehicle. For example, I've found that it works well to keep my clothing and linens in the long cabinets over the couch/dining area. Relatively lightweight, and no worries about being clonked when first opening them after driving. Then heavier items that I might have put in those cabinets in a house can go lower down/somewhere else.

Also, if I remember correctly, your era of Destiny has an unloaded vehicle weight that is fairly close to the maximum vehicle weight (GVWR). Not that our 21-ers are that far apart either, but then we don't have that droolworthy set of drawers to fill near the door either :D). I would recommend going to a scale where you can get real weights for both axles (and side to side if the scale area permits) so you know where you stand. That will tell you what psi to fill your tires to as well (via a chart - I think I have posted one elsewhere on the forum).

BG
1999 Concourse
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Roger D wrote:Very helpful-thx.The trip is 4 days at Joshua Tree NP. No hookups. For SMAN, do you carry the 5 ton bottle jack because the Ford screw jack is too light duty for the extra MH weight?
Looks like we were typing at the same time. Four days at Joshua Tree sounds nice! Especially this time of year. If you have the stock electrical system, I'd be very parsimonious with your power usage. Fridge on propane (obviously), and limited use of any non-LED lights, furnace (because the fan draws many amps), and that sort of thing. Reason I say that is the stock setup is not really meant for 4 days of dry camping with full usage of the mod cons.

Well, I guess I'm forgetting about the generator, but that's 'cause I hate the noise of the things. I'm going to suppress a rant though (I'll just poke holes in my eardrums to slowly let the steam out :lol: )

I did manage to boondock for months with the stock system (and actually only ONE house battery), but I was very careful with power usage, and used either a stand-alone light (headlamp, solar lantern) or one of the lights I had converted to LED. A couple of Luci Lights or lights that can run from a USB power pack can be helpful if you still only have the stock power hogs. (Later on I put in an improved solar power system plus a heating source that doesn't use electricity but at first I didn't have that.)

I'm not Sman but I have jacked up the rig (to remove/replace tires) with the stock Ford jack (not sure how it compares to your Chevy one). The super long handle it has is nice - especially on the rear where you can operate it while still staying out from underneath easily. BUT, while it works easily on the front, it's a bit of a slog to get the rear jacked up. Doable, but not easy. I did the same on a friend's heavier E-450 (27-footer) but with a hydraulic bottle jack that sounds similar to Sman's. MUCH easier, grunt-wise. But on the other hand it was very difficult to operate it without at least partially getting underneath when doing the rear (but maybe a different handle would work better).
1999 Concourse
SMan

Post by SMan »

Roger D wrote:Very helpful-thx.The trip is 4 days at Joshua Tree NP. No hookups. For SMAN, do you carry the 5 ton bottle jack because the Ford screw jack is too light duty for the extra MH weight?
Lets just say I am not confident in the screw jack. I did a dry run in the driveway with the bottle jack a few years back (and yes I had to get part way under it). I hope I never have to do it out on the road but I at least feel better having it.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I agree, and I should get a hydraulic jack - it's much easier. Also, it's possible to get slightly under the rig and know it's not going to drop on you (for example jacking it up slightly to change a rear tire - you still have the other wheels to keep it from falling flat onto the ground and smushing you (and there's no need to get under to do the front, even with a shorter handle - it's just the rear duallies have you needing to reach further in).

Since you have the Chevy and I'm only familiar with Ford jacks, I guess I'd say to try out what you have. I found that I wanted to upgrade my breaker bar and sockets/extensions (plus add a torque wrench) for tire changing, and practicing it before-hand showed me what I needed to order to set up my kit.

[Edited to add: Of course this only applies if you might be changing a tire. But one thing to know is that even if you have road service, they oftentimes have policies that they won't go off of paved roads, or only a certain distance, etc. I figure even if I can't change a tire myself, at least I'll have the tools if someone comes by who can assist.]
1999 Concourse