Chinooks are coming back!?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Manitou
Site Admin

Chinooks are coming back!?

Post by Manitou »

https://www.wagontrailrv.com/Chinook/index.php

http://www.chinookrv.com

How awesome would a sprinter based 4x4 non-stinky version of diesel with good mpg be!?
Out of my price range until they are about 10 years old I bet, but how awesome would one of those be! :)
Skillet

Re: Chinooks are coming back!?

Post by Skillet »

I agree. I just hope they build them to the standards we know. I'd hate for them to use the name just to try and sell something and they end up sucking.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
SMan

Post by SMan »

I got a great deal from a Cousin on my 04 Premier and doubt I'll be able to afford a new one but glad to see the name still alive. My wife and I are from Washington and were just by the old Trail Wagons/Chinook facility in Yakima which is now a Coca Cola bottling plant.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Yep, you can see the Coke distributor on Google maps street view. After Chinook closed its doors (some claim the downturn of the economy but Chinook was dabbling in commercial real estate development so who knows) the parts were sold off to Aubreys RV Center and Wagon Trail RV purchased from Trail Wagons the Name, molds, drawings and templates.
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

I thought about a year ago the new owners built a single prototype that was just like a concourse or destiny of old , i can,t remember which exactly but it was on a new e350/450 ford chassis.
Does anyone else remember seeing it posted on the yahoo group ? I guess they must have scraped that plan ?
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I saw that, but that chassis is not being continued anymore by ford.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Manitou wrote:I saw that, but that chassis is not being continued anymore by ford.
Actually, from what I read, the E-350/E-450 cutaway should be continued until at least 2019. Supporting that idea, they are reportedly putting a six-speed transmission in it for the next model year (vs. the current 5-speed), and also improved air-conditioning.

However, the van body E-Series is already discontinued (Ford Transit, here we come).

Still, I can see where a new company/build would just go with the new style vans (Sprinter/Transit/Promaster) vs. the cutaway though. Heck, the 3500/24' Sprinter is so big they don't even need to make a fiberglass body. I just went into one at an RV dealer and couldn't believe how huge it is. Doesn't even seem like a van anymore it's so big. And having the factory body/roof (from the vehicle manufacturer) is a bonus.
1999 Concourse