Camping in Montana and Wyoming

Travels and adventures.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Camping in Montana and Wyoming

Post by deppstein »

My wife and I are about to head out to Montana and Wyoming in our 2004 Chinook Premier for three weeks of camping. We are tent campers who still prefer the rustic feel of state and national campgrounds to RV parks. On out 6-week trip last summer through Nova Scotia and Newfoundland we didn't hook-up once!
Our plan is to "wing-it" on this upcoming trip since there are so many campgrounds that are on a first-come basis and we are after beautiful places rather than a set schedule.
Has anyone else done a similar trip through this area? I'm interested in any and all suggestions of specific campgrounds and/or other advice and counsel.
Many thanks.

David
Blue~Go

Re: Camping in Montana and Wyoming

Post by Blue~Go »

I don't have any specific suggestions, but as you might already know, the west in general is just fantastic for boondocking and/or rustic National Forest type campgrounds. There is so much public land!

I really like the rustic little NF campgrounds, but lately I've started forgoing them due to what I consider a disturbing trend, which is for folks to camp in them and run generators from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (or sometimes even later). Huge bummer to be camped next to one and have to listen to the constant drone (for me anyway). Boondocking has made it easier to at least avoid being *right next* to that.

Of course it is still possible to get lucky and not have that happen, so I don't mean to be too much of a downer. You are heading into a fantastic area! I could potentially give you some general tips on NF/BLM, etc., but it sounds as though you may already know the basic ropes.

Also, welcome aboard! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy hearing about your trip (and/or Chinook), if you care to share.
1999 Concourse
Concourse

Post by Concourse »

Montana and Wyoming are great states to RV. Don't miss the Bighorn NF. The ride through on Rt14 was scenic. Our Chinooks are small, light, and powerful so easily traverse the mountain roads unlike the big RVs.

While in Nevada on the Loneliest Highway I was looking for a spot for the night and found a campground run by the USDA. I'd heard of Forest Service, BLM, etc. with camping but not USDA. Anyway here is a link to all of the Forestry campgrounds listed by state and since other Fed departments like USDA are under the same umbrella it has their campgrounds listed too.

The key to getting a spot for the night is to show up early! They're first come first served and many are only a dozen spots so by 5pm are filled.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/list/nflist.htm

These websites might also be helpful:

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/index.aspx

http://freecampsites.net/
2004 Chinook Concourse (Sold and missed)
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Thanks to you both (Blue-go and Concourse) for your prompt responses. I didn't realize that it was possible to boondock out west...we were amazed and delighted to find that was the case in Newfoundland, but thought that this was really frowned upon here in the US. Having a small, self-contained rig like ours is perfect for this, so we'll scope out a nice trout stream where my wife can practice casting and I can catch up on old New Yorkers. Bighorn is on the list, and have made note of RT 14. I will also check out the websites suggested--have used National Forest Campgrounds a lot and, for the most part, still find them respectfully quiet...hope it stays that way.

Our rig is a 2004 Premier with cherry cabinetry. Got it used with only 16K about 18 months ago and have doubled the mileage since then. Have done some slight modifications:
--Took out TV and replaced with a bookshelf, leaving additional storage in the front bin behind the bookcase. Also removed the DVD player, and replaced with an "object de art." Like/need the added storage for bedding, etc.
--removed the microwave (would never use it) and had cabinet shop match existing rig doors to make a double cabinet above stove. Terrific addition.
--Added Thule roof rack system up top by utilizing 11" "old style gutter feet" attached to the existing side rail (double-secured with hose clamps also) and square bars front and back of the AC unit. Carries both our kayaks, or the canoe (upside down over AC with thwart removed. I use a set of "Easy Roller" wheels placed at lip of roof in rear to ease mounting...piece of cake with two people.
--Front mounted a heavy duty dual bike rack on front (very secure, no issue with headlights, and not a problem for driving). This makes using the bikes SO much easier. Had a rack mounted to the spare in back, but had to remove front wheels of bikes to get them on without blocking the rear entrance.
--Mounted a rear-view wireless digital camera--followed the instructions so graciously provided by Andrew in his "Chinooker's Journey" Blog. His solution for mounting the monitor on center console is genius!
Only other work I've done has been to re-secure the upper support bar for the table into the wall (it was loose and rattling (rattles drive me nuts...which is one of the reasons I love this rig so much--TIGHT), and re-screwed and calked the molding behind the sink to the wall (again to eliminate a slight rattle).
Best,
David
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

If you get a chance, I'd love to see pics of your interior. Something to give me ideas. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the microwave or not. The display went bad but it still works and I haven't used it except for a couple times to test it. I like what you did with your spot after you took it out. Lastly, did you get the backup camera brand that he has and is it wireless? I'm looking for a wireless solution but the cost was kind of high for me at the moment.
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

The west has SO MUCH boondocking. It's quite wonderful. BLM land is all over the place (and it is made for boondocking), National Forest too (although it's a tiny bit more restrictive), plus state land, etc.

One good thing to know is that many of the agencies refer to it as "dispersed camping." If you look on a forest service website, or stop in a forest service or BLM office, asking about "dispersed camping" will get you the info/maps on it.

Fun to read of your mods. I've done a few similar ones, although mostly with different outcomes For example: I removed the TV but store my bedding there - I like the bookshelf idea too though; removed microwave, made a storage cabinet, but am now making a smaller storage cabinet, because I didn't like having to do the limbo to cook; put hitch on front, but put spare tire there (bikes are a great idea though!). Always fun to hear how others make the Chinook "theirs." (And now that they are getting slightly older, I think more people feel a bit more free to do so.)

One thing you might want to check or think about: From what I can tell, the perimeter railing on the roof was installed with the the idea that it would basically be decorative. I think it is just fastened with "pointy" screws (#8 ?) and no backing blocks (although the screws go into narrow strips of 1/2" ply embedded in the roof, but since they are pointy screws, that's not really a backing block like you'd have with a machine screw/washer/nut) (or at least they did on the Chinook roof drawings as of 1999 or so). Of course there are a number of these screws to spread the load, but still.

Doesn't sound like you have had any problem, but if it were me I think I'd be a little bit uncomfortable without doing some beefing up. At minimum I'd remove each screw and isolate the plywood with epoxy (since they will likely be "working" and I wouldn't want water getting into the embedded wood).

My background is boats, and they have lots of cored decks with things fastened to them, so that's where I'm coming from.

Your rig sounds really nice!

BG
1999 Concourse
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I'm going to migrate this discussion from "Trips" to "Projects" given that we now seem to be talking more about my rig itself than the places we've been. I have appreciated all the info provided pertaining to upcoming run to Montana and Wyoming. Thanks

I will attempt to post some pics of rig projects in the new post, and continue the discussion with Blue-Go about top rails (maybe ever boats--I'm a sailor too).

David
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sounds like a good idea, David. It's nice that a thread can be free to wander, but at a certain point a new topic is a good thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing/reading more about your rig and projects!

Fun that you are a fellow sailor/boater, too :D

PS: If your Premier has the "vertical front" upper cabinets (I see that some of the later ones have the angled cabinets like the Concourse), would you have a moment to take a look at this thread? I'm looking for some measurements from a Premier with the vertical cabinets.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146
1999 Concourse
Chinookers
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Chinookers »