George Washington National Forest

Travels and adventures.
Skillet

George Washington National Forest

Post by Skillet »

If my schedule doesn't change, I'm going to try an overnight boondocking (dispersed camping) trip tomorrow night. I've never done that before so I'm looking forward to doing it with the pups. I've driven through parts of it on my motorcycle and love deep forest as much as I love the beach. I'm excited that this is one of the few areas on the East Coast you can just pull over anywhere and camp for free. I envy everyone on the other side of the Mississippi!
I've located an area using a "motor vehicle use map" and then going to Google Maps I think I found a nice, secluded pull-off. I may have to improvise once I get there and it doesn't pan out. Trying to do something that's not a campground. If anyone's camped in this forest, love to hear about it.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/gwj/
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Manitou
Site Admin

Re: George Washington National Forest

Post by Manitou »

Awesome! Not to put bad thoughts in your head, but do you have some sort of self defense? Maybe the dogs are big and bad enough on their own.. Maybe mace.. Maybe a gun!? Haha
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I haven't decided if I was going to bring my pepper spray but I'll bring my Glock and of course the 2 dogs are young German Shepherds. They are full of energy and will be good protection as well. Love having the safe for the gun on-board.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sounds good! I've never camped in the GWNF, but I have driven by - very pretty. It's true that the west is filled with boondocking opportunities, but luckily the east has some spots too. The MVUM is a good start for sure. You probably know this, but look for an "established" campsite if possible. By that I don't mean a campground, but simply something like a little pullout with a fire ring or etc. Using those keeps new "trampling" to a minimum and generally the USFS and BLM encourage that (although I haven't read the specific rules for the GWNF). It's always fun to find your "new home" in a dispersed camping spot. I hope you have a great time! (And let us know how it goes :))
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Worked out great. I downloaded a MVUM which gave me tons of places to check out. I used Google Maps to create a personal map and placed many markers on possible sites. The site I went to had absolutely no people/traffic noise, nothing for the almost 24hrs I was there. I don't remember hearing that much nothing (except forest noises) ever. The fire ring was well overgrown with nature so I used my Biolite stove for my evening fire.

My dogs were each put on a 30ft lead attached to nearby trees so they could explore the forest and hang with me under the awning. Within the first 15min they found a yellow jacket nest hidden below a pile of leaves. They got swarmed so I had to rush us all in the rv. I never got stung and it didn't look like they did either. The bees were burrowing into their fur head-first and I don't think had a chance to sting yet. I think that's how bears can eat honey and not worry about being stung, with their thick fur. I killed the bees on the dogs and the 4 that got in before I could shut the screen door. After 15 minutes everyone settled down and even tho the nest was probably 30ft away, they never bothered me any more while I was there. And the dogs didn't go back in that area either...

The forest was beautiful and I hiked along the gravel road for a few miles several times. With it being so large I'll have plenty of exploring to do for quite some time and the section near me is only 1.5hrs away.
Attachments
Chinook GWNF2.jpg
Chinook GWNF3.jpg
Chinook GWNF.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Sweet! Glad it worked out so well and nice to see the pics. Even better that there is much more to explore and it's so close to home.
1999 Concourse