Another Trip: Kentucky and West Virginia

Travels and adventures.
Skillet

Another Trip: Kentucky and West Virginia

Post by Skillet »

In a week, I'm going on my next adventure. Unless something happens, the plan is to go West to Kentucky for the World Chicken Festival and then backtrack to West Virginia for the West Virginia Roadkill Cook-off. I gots to try me some squirrel gravy!
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...
Blue~Go

Re: Another Trip: Kentucky and West Virginia

Post by Blue~Go »

So do people "collect ingredients" on the way?

Sounds like a fun trip! Great to hear about your rambles.
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I don't want to know how it gets to my plate/bowl, as long as it's reasonably tasty, I'll try it!
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Last week I did my trip without a hitch. A little over 1200 miles. I drove from Virginia to Kentucky and arrived after midnight at a winery to boondock. I'm a member of Boondockers Welcome (https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/) and planned my trip around 2 sites. I left very early the next morning so saw little of the winery. I will say it was dead silent and the smell of grape was in the air.

Made it to London, Ky for the World Chicken Festival. They shut down several streets and had all kinds of vendors. I got a huge piece of fried chicken from the world's largest skillet and just enjoyed the locals. After half the day there I went down to the original KFC in Corbin. Although I was full of chicken, I had to get some more so I could say I ordered from the original KFC. They saved a lot of the original restaurant to include plates/utensils as well as furniture. It's amazing people used to eat off of nice china and silverware as well as having a nice tablecloth.

From Corbin I drove to Roanoke, Va to say overnight at another boondocking location. I arrived after dinner but the couple was so nice they invited me in for a (guess what) chicken dinner. I had to beg off, but went in and had wine in their sun room. We laughed for most of the night and traded stories. They let my pups have run of their large, fenced-in backyard. I finally left them and returned to my rig in their driveway because I wanted to get up early again for my last stop.

I drove up to Marlinton, Wv for the Roadkill Cookoff. Another small town that shuts down their streets for the huge festival. Another day of rain but it didn't dampen anyone's spirits. A live bluegrass band was playing in the pavilion and all kinds of local vendors were set up. Apparently the person who cooked last year's squirrel gravy didn't do it again this year. But you could have bear, elk, and venison. After spending many hours there enjoying the town I drove back home.

I had 4 days off so I had to make the best of it. I don't mind driving long hours but I can't wait until I retire so I can really take my time. It was also nice to get away from the D.C. area and enjoy people who are kind and not afraid to talk to you.
Attachments
20150925_Original KFC Corbin Ky.jpg
20150926_RoadKill Cookoff Wv Band.jpg
20150926_RoadKill Cookoff Wv.jpg
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Some pics of the Chicken Festival and my parking space found well before the crowds arrived.
Attachments
20150925_World Chicken Festival London Ky Parking.jpg
20150925_Worlds Largest Skillet Chicken Festival.jpg
20150925_World Chicken Festival London Ky.jpg
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

The chicken festival before it opened and my travelling companions.
Attachments
20150925_Pups Chicken Festival Trip2.jpg
20150925_Pups Chicken Festival Trip.jpg
20150925_092911 London Ky Chicken Festival Setup.jpg
SMan

Post by SMan »

People back there love their chicken and roadkill. :lol:

Nice pics and pups.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
99ChinookTXGRANS

Post by 99ChinookTXGRANS »

Skillet,
Which one of your pups ride shotgun? Do you let them ride freely, or do you have their harness' attached?

April (our rescue Doberman) usually sits between our seats on her bed. When we are out of the coach, she sits in the driver seat.

Love having our traveling dog with us.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Cool trip! I had to laugh when the nice people invited you in for.... chicken :lol:

I can also see how the lowered dinette works well for a big, comfy "dog sleigh."
1999 Concourse
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

I don't harness them and never harnessed any of my dogs over the years in various vehicles. My choice and I know some people disagree. When I'm driving, the older one gets stressed and sits/lays in-between the seats. I usually have stuff on the passenger seat so they don't even try. The younger one (they are sisters from different litters) lays on the couch and will occasionally visit me up front when she wants to stretch her legs. Sometimes when I look back she's laying on her back with her legs up in the air, sleeping. When I'm parked I'll put up the curtain and sometimes one or both will sit in the driver's seat and put their heads under the curtain so they can look for me. If I'm gone long enough they will retire to the back. If I leave the curtain down, one will hop in the passenger seat, even if I have stuff there like you see in the pic. It always cracks me up when I come back because it look like they're ready to drive somewhere. People passing by will take pics too.

Yes, I love travelling with them and having them explore new places. I enjoy their company but it's also quite expensive to board them so along they come. The downside is that if it's hot out I have to figure out what I'm going to do with them if I'm out exploring. I purposely didn't go anywhere this summer because of that worry. Dogs aren't usually allowed on most beaches so I would have to go to a campground to have the a/c plugged in. I prefer to boondock and all the beach campground spaces are so pressed together.