last trip of the year......

Travels and adventures.
chinook440

Re: last trip of the year......

Post by chinook440 »

the front seats are from a late model 04 ish chevy truck and Do have the integral shoulder belts , they even have side air bags in them . not hooked up though...i only wish they had arm rests , but they are very comfortable and supportive otherwise.. they are much to wide to make swivel.

the overhead bed only has 12" vertical clearance from top of cushy cushion to the ceiling. ,,, i. been thinking of removing said cushion but it is super comfy/ firm as long as you don,t turn AT ALL !!lol
Attachments
d nook seat.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

My van was a camper van, 1997, purchased by conversion company through a Ford dealer. Full stock Ford van body, but sold for conversion. It arrived at the converter with the stock Ford front seats on stock bases, afaik. (Was the one with the high back, inboard armrest). I know the same conversion company is putting swivels in new Ford vans still (or was, until Ford stopped making the vans last year), although only on the passenger side due to restraint module box under driver's side/power seat (I think you can still make one fit, and people have put them in, but they don't do it stock). It's not nearly as used/useful as the passenger seat swivel anyway.

Also companies like Discount Truck and Van (and others) sell swivels that fit the stock Ford bases. BTW, our Chinooks (or at least my era-forward) do use the stock Ford bases, but aftermarket seats on them (Flexsteel).

The overhead compartment in my '99 measures just a hair under 14" from the carpeted overhead to the carpeted base board (which sits on top of the Ford van roof).
1999 Concourse
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

chinook440 wrote:the front seats are from a late model 04 ish chevy truck and Do have the integral shoulder belts , ...
Thanks for the update! They look great.

What else has been done to your Chinook? Is the quilted wall something that was added later on as well, or is that stock?
the overhead bed only has 12" vertical clearance from top of cushy cushion to the ceiling. ,,, i. been thinking of removing said cushion but it is super comfy/ firm as long as you don,t turn AT ALL !!lol
Ha. Yeah, no kidding. That's a lot less clearance than I had imagined. Thank you for measuring.

Btw, I just noticed your name... "Chinook440". Does that mean you have a 440 engine? Sweet! I think 1978 was the last (?) year Dodge offered it in a van.
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

the 12" dimension was a guesstimate ....it,s actually a whopping 13 3/4" plus the cushion is approx. 3" thick.

79 was the last year for a 440 in anything .

that quilt pattern in the cab is a stock design but was redone as well as just about everything in this thing. to much to list really.....

here,s a pic of my custom cantilever mini dinette that converts into a singlebed /couch etc

Attachments
almost004.jpg
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

couple more
Attachments
nookint1.jpg
nookint2.jpg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

I've always thought your Chinook had such a nice interior - seeing more of it only reinforces that opinion!

I started out with the Club chair layout and now have a setup something like yours. As usual, a functional mockup while I check it out. I took the Club chairs off those box bases to start. On the forward base I fit an automotive seat to the swivel the original Club chair was on (stow and go type seat). Much more comfortable for me, and slightly lower to the ground (the Club chairs in my era Chinook are rather high up due to the base box needing to conceal the furnace plus the chairs had very "puffy" (hollow) seat bases.

For the rear I removed the seat box (at least for now) and built a minimum box that just covers the wheelwell. Not sure what I'm doing there yet, but I might just make it into a "nice" dinette seat something like what you have. I removed the "mini bar" table and made a slightly larger table that attaches to the wall and can slide fore/aft. Only mine has a leg (but maybe I'll copy your cantilever - cool!).

The other thing I've always liked from your era rig and may copy is that cabinet in the outboard/rear corner of the sink counter. To me it looks a lot more open and pleasant than the "in your face" spice cabinet of my era Chinook (handy cabinet, but makes for a slightly "limbo" experience when using the "L" part of the counter).

Anyway, looking good and some great ideas!

Sounds like you do have a bit more overcab space, since mine is 14" but with no foam - just the carpeted surfaces. I'd guess the Ford cab is a bit taller. (The base platform of the compartment literally sits on the stock Ford roof.)
1999 Concourse
Concourse St Tropez

Post by Concourse St Tropez »

Chinook 440 could you give more details on your great mini dinette combo. I would like the same thing to replace my club lounge.
The shape of the back cushion is not square ? Does it make a U shaped area ?
I would love to see more detailed pics and maybe also some during construction.
Thanks Ron
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

Thanks for the comments.

Here,s a link to all the pics. i have of it under construction and completed . The pics aren,t in order and don,t show every step but will give you an idea of what was involved.

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/Fabrek ... %20dinette

Lot,s of metal work, welding, wood work ,finishing and figuring etc.

The cushions are all from some old couches and the table top was cut out of an old kitchen "farmhouse" type table. i may one day spring for all new cushions to match the refinished couch but it,s functional as is and rock solid.

if i was to do it again i,d probably change some things on it, it was all just built on the run ,so to speak, with a basic idea of Not wanting any posts in the way like most typical setups....It comes in handy to securely store large items under there while under way etc.
kdarling

Post by kdarling »

Wow, very impressive! (Thanks for the link to more photos.)

The way you did the cantilevered table so it pops off and converts to a bunk bottom is brilliant. Not to mention how sturdy the whole setup looks.

Also love your use of regular sofa cushions. I almost did something similar -- I looked at a lot of folding futons, thinking they'd make an inexpensive jackknife sofa substitute :)

Did you do the metal work yourself?
1994 Concourse dinette, Ford 7.5L (460 V8)
chinook440

Post by chinook440 »

Yes kev , metal fab/welding is actually what i do for a living.. I seen some of your handiwork on another thread and it,s quite nice...... you have a very artistic touch / ideas !!!!